Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Please think of all the other children and the Morahs !
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

If your child has fever have you ever given them Tylenol or Motrin and sent them to school withou waiting 24 hours?
Yes  
 15%  [ 31 ]
No  
 84%  [ 172 ]
Total Votes : 203

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:33 pm
I don’t know if I agree with lumping “fever” together with “cough and runny nose.” (In the post, not the poll.)
some kids will have a cough or runny nose lasting weeks after. (Not counting bright green runny nose, that’s obviously contagious)
Fever though, stay home.

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:34 pm
I wouldn't send my kids sick. But I have the luxury because I don't work.. But I'm confused. Why do you think you got sick from your students. Did you go to the store ever? Or to the restaurant? Or to the gym... So on and so forth.. Why assume the little kids got you sick. I've been living with sick kids all month and I haven't gotten sick yet. I share food with them and I'm still not sick.
I don't think it's OK to blame all your students on you getting sick.
But I do hope you feel better and I do hope parents are aware they shouldn't not only send their kids to school but also shouldn't parade around town slobbering everything with germs so someone else gets sick. But nothing will ever change.
Acceptance is key.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:38 pm
I send to a daycare. My daughter was sent home yesterday with a fever. I knew I couldn't send her today although she was fine, but when I told the morah she sounded surprised!!
On a different occasion, I told the morah that my child wouldn't come back to daycare for at least another 2 days being that she currently had fever and I'd have to wait 24 hours. The morah thanked me for being so considerate!!
Apparently it's not so common for people to actually be considerate.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:49 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
I send to a daycare. My daughter was sent home yesterday with a fever. I knew I couldn't send her today although she was fine, but when I told the morah she sounded surprised!!
On a different occasion, I told the morah that my child wouldn't come back to daycare for at least another 2 days being that she currently had fever and I'd have to wait 24 hours. The morah thanked me for being so considerate!!
Apparently it's not so common for people to actually be considerate.

I really don't think most people are being rude and malicious. But when you have multiple kids who get sick often at different times it gets complicated. Especially if you don't have a flexible job and don't have other childcare options. No I won't send my kids to school sick. But will I send less than 24 hours after fever if they are totally fine? Perhaps...really depends on the situation. I doubt there is a major difference between hour 20 and hour 24. Obviously the covid situation is different and I would adhere to the school rules.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:53 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
I wouldn't send my kids sick. But I have the luxury because I don't work.. But I'm confused. Why do you think you got sick from your students. Did you go to the store ever? Or to the restaurant? Or to the gym... So on and so forth.. Why assume the little kids got you sick. I've been living with sick kids all month and I haven't gotten sick yet. I share food with them and I'm still not sick.
I don't think it's OK to blame all your students on you getting sick.
But I do hope you feel better and I do hope parents are aware they shouldn't not only send their kids to school but also shouldn't parade around town slobbering everything with germs so someone else gets sick. But nothing will ever change.
Acceptance is key.
It’s definitely the students. I used to teach and got sick often. You can’t compare walking around a big airy store for an hour to sitting with kids in a classroom for several hours.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:54 pm
I heard recently that a rebbe in a cheder for younger boys asked whoever had that morning Tylenol or Motrin should pick up their hand. He then proceeded to send them home !

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:04 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
I heard recently that a rebbe in a cheder for younger boys asked whoever had that morning Tylenol or Motrin should pick up their hand. He then proceeded to send them home !

Lovely. So the kid who had a headache or whose ankle was hurting from bumping it the day before gets caught in this. And the kids who take chewable allergy medicine that looks and tastes similar and they don't know the difference- and yes, it can come in orange.

I wouldn't send my kid to school with a fever. But I would send them with a runny nose, because otherwise, they'd be home all year. We do have allergies in the family, and when a kid gets a cold, we often can't tell until a few days in. But what's your school's policy on colds? Coughs? Whenever there's a change in temperature, one kid gets a sore throat from the post-nasal drip.

Tachlis, sometimes a kid has a headache in the morning. We give him Motrin to help him with it, and to help convince him he'll be ok. Halfway through the day, it turns out the headache was the start of something, and the kid would say that yes, he had medicine in the morning. But on many more other days, it wasn't anything but a headache. So how are we supposed to know?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:04 pm

I wonder if the rebbe ever takes tylenol or motrin or aleve in the morning before he goes to work

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:11 pm
I’m sure this story is apocryphal

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:14 pm
And what about the kid who took his Ritalin or other meds?
Bad idea

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:18 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
I’m sure this story is apocryphal
Yes but it’s fun thinking of it happening. The rebbi sends the kids to the office. “They took Tylenol this morning. Not staying in my classroom” The secretary asks the principal what to do and he shrugs. So she looks up every parent’s number and starts going down the list. And what do the parents say? No problem, I’ll come pick him up even though I have no idea why he raised his hand because all he ate tjis morning was a bag of chips.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:19 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
It’s definitely the students. I used to teach and got sick often. You can’t compare walking around a big airy store for an hour to sitting with kids in a classroom for several hours.

When I got strep for the first time in 30 years no way did I pick it from the grocery! It obviously came from the 3 kids in my class who, over the course of the week, showed up not feeling well and ended up at the nurse and getting an early dismissal and then notification from the nurse they'd be out due to strep.

I get parents sending kids with a minor cold. What bugs me is the kid who comes in the morning with a greenish face or who tells me they threw up at home before school that morning. Inevitably they end up throwing up in the school at some point in the day and being sent home...but not before they passed germs along to a friend or two.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:20 pm
I'm confused here. There is a poll asking if parents do that and everyone is saying how it's not a right thing to do .
But if a rebbe has sick students coming to cheder on Tylenol and sending them home he's wrong ??
Most kids know when they take Tylenol for a headache or bumped knees or allergies ect
Or it's because they had fever and mom wants them to get out of the house !

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:20 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I agree with you, but will your school be offering tuition reduction for those parents who don't have paid sick time?
I didn't think so.

So that’s an excuse to get others sick? Schools are not there to babysit your sick kids! That’s the height of selfishness.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:27 pm
It all depends on why they had a fever. If they had an ear infection, then yes, I will send them to school less than 24 hours later. My doctor said that's fine.
Also, my kids might get tylenol in the morning if they have a headache. Just b/c they reported that they had medicine, it doesn't mean they had a fever. Don't be so quick to condemn.

gold21

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:28 pm
Yes absolutely I would send with a mild to moderate cold or with a mild cough.

No absolutely I wouldn't send with a fever, chills, headache, nausea, or upset stomach. I mean, kids need to be home when they're not feeling well. No, I wouldn't send a kid on Tylenol or Motrin (except for a toothache?). (Obviously, I have the luxury of making that choice, B"H.)

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:34 pm
I'm confused here. There is a poll asking if parents do that and everyone is saying how it's not a right thing to do .
But if a rebbe has sick students coming to cheder on Tylenol and sending them home he's wrong ??
Most kids know when they take Tylenol for a headache or bumped knees or allergies ect
Or it's because they had fever and mom wants them to get out of the house !

But the Rebbe didnt ask that according to the story. Just whoever took motrin or tylenol. Good thing it was a boys class because there would be girls home every month for a few days due to taking tylenol and the whole class would know that she is cramping....
What about a kid with allergy medicine? Or any other medication, vitamins, ADHD meds ?!?
Not every kid knows why they were given something.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:51 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Curious what you guys consider a fever. My daycare told me that my baby had 100.1 this afternoon. He’s on the mend from a virus (I kept her home all last week) , is usually super sensitive if he’s sick and gets Motrin round the clock, he’s been happy go lucky since Motzei shabbos so it’s just the temperature. I think it’s low enough but I’m second guessing myself…

Also, it’s really hard to keep kids home when others don’t, it’s a cycle, my kids keep getting sick because others send in sick kids so I have to keep them home every two weeks. Only to come drop them off and see two Ill looking kids there… bh my daycare started taking temps and sending home but still exposes everyone…

My kids schools, and my pediatricians, all say 100.4

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:31 am
Not every fever is contagious. My kids spike a high fever every time they break a tooth, so no, I don’t keep them home for a fever when they’re not sick. I do my best with colds and fever but they got it at school so everyone exposed and there aren’t always other options.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:53 am
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I agree with you, but will your school be offering tuition reduction for those parents who don't have paid sick time?
I didn't think so.

so you would rather the teacher get sick and have to stay home for unpaid sick-time? Selfish. But ookay!
You excpect me to love your child after?
Put up with their quirks?
Put in extra energy makeing sure your child learns something?
Put in extra energy makeing sure your child is happy?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics