Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Machane Yehuda Food Tour

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:05 am
I would like to do a Machane Yehuda food tour very soon - I'm wondering if it's feasible to do myself or safer with a tour guide, kashrus-wise. Can I just look for Badatz Mehadrin? Can anyone help me with where is safe to eat there now kashrus-wise if in general we would want Badatz Mehadrin or otherwise recommend a tour guide? (I'd prefer to do it myself actually, but obviously don't want to make mistakes.)
Thank you!

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:12 am
Assuming you don't mind paying a guide, I'd go with that option. Anybody can look around the shuk, but it's more entertaining to have somebody tell you interesting tidbits as you go. And looking for certain hecshers in the shuk can be exhausting. If you can find somebody who knows his/her way around, it may be worth it.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:19 am
BTW most things in the shuk aren't mehadrin that are accepted by the general chareidi public.

A lot of rabbanut mehadrin which is accepted by many but not mainstream chareidi. We personally eat it, but if you don't there's not much to see in the shuk except for packaged things, spices, and fruits and veggies.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:22 am
LovesHashem wrote:
BTW most things in the shuk aren't mehadrin that are accepted by the general chareidi public.

A lot of rabbanut mehadrin which is accepted by many but not mainstream chareidi. We personally eat it, but if you don't there's not much to see in the shuk except for packaged things, spices, and fruits and veggies.

We're okay with Rabbanut Mehadrin for dairy - I imagine there are a few options of that? Then sounds like it's not worth a tour though.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're okay with Rabbanut Mehadrin for dairy - I imagine there are a few options of that? Then sounds like it's not worth a tour though.

Lots of dairy and bakeries and stuff there that are rabbanut mehadrin. Defintiy go for a tour.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:00 am
During Shemittah it can be even more complicated. Definitely AYLOR in advance about what is and isn't okay.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:05 am
We did a tour with our office. Was lots of fun. We did kosher but I am assuming not mehadrin. We split into groups, one group did dairy, one meat. They also have vegan options.

I would never have found all these places on my own. They take you to the most popular or most special. And you are served special small portions - after all if you are doing ten stops you don’t want regular portions! I don’t think you can buy these small portions if you show up individually.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:45 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
During Shemittah it can be even more complicated. Definitely AYLOR in advance about what is and isn't okay.

Rabbanut mehadrin is shmittah lchumrah. Many teudos specify what they are using for this year. There's loads of places fine during shmittah.

In addition this is off the shuk but there's a French bakery on king George yaffo that's a family owned buisness and makes the best pastries I've ever had. I generally don't like croissants and such but they were amazing there. Definitely a must go.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:50 pm
Thank you all! While we’re on the subject, can anyone give me a couple of really good restaurant recommendations?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:57 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Rabbanut mehadrin is shmittah lchumrah. Many teudos specify what they are using for this year. There's loads of places fine during shmittah.

In addition this is off the shuk but there's a French bakery on king George yaffo that's a family owned buisness and makes the best pastries I've ever had. I generally don't like croissants and such but they were amazing there. Definitely a must go.

Also, can I ask what I should be looking for it to say in terms of shmittah?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all! While we’re on the subject, can anyone give me a couple of really good restaurant recommendations?

In Jerusalem? Here's our favorites. Me and DH are both foodies.

La Piedra (Italian artisan pizza and pasta)
Quesadillas Ascendio (authentic Mexican)
Sheyan (Chinese expensive)
Atza (sushi and Chinese)
Cafe Lyon (milchig resteraunt with a huge menu and amazing food. Love their breakfast special)
Lechem Basar (meat)
Luciana (upscale milchig)
Picollino (milchig Cafe and resteraunt)
Ricotta (milchig Cafe and resteraunt)

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also, can I ask what I should be looking for it to say in terms of shmittah?

Depends what you hold. I assume shmittah lchumrah or shmittah khalacha and yevul shishit/chul/nochri.

If someplace uses heter mechira is will say on the Teudah.

Usually shmittah status is in middle of the Teudah and highlighted and in large letters.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:36 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Depends what you hold. I assume shmittah lchumrah or shmittah khalacha and yevul shishit/chul/nochri.

If someplace uses heter mechira is will say on the Teudah.

Usually shmittah status is in middle of the Teudah and highlighted and in large letters.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:36 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:

Atza (sushi and Chinese)
Cafe Lyon (milchig resteraunt with a huge menu and amazing food. Love their breakfast special)
Lechem Basar (meat)

Thank you!

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:21 pm

Atza (sushi and Chinese)
Lechem Basar (meat)

Can you recommend places to eat out in Jerusalem with a really large family bh (trying to be conscious of costs) thank you!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:13 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Can you recommend places to eat out in Jerusalem with a really large family bh (trying to be conscious of costs) thank you!

What do you mean? Budget friendly? What's your budget?

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 3:48 am
What do you mean? Budget friendly? What's your budget?

Trying to keep costs low as possible. I dont have a $$$ number.

But also don’t want to be cooking dinner all week. So I’m interested in places that have decent food but doesn’t need to be top notch in terms of a dining experience.

Is Greens inexpensive? Bagel stores? Other milchik or fleishik places that have a more casual atmosphere but are clean and the food is good?

We’re not “foodies”, our kids don’t have the most adventurous palates.

Any and all recommendations (mehadrin) and if possible, tell me the neighborhood, would be appreciated.

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:28 am
There is a Maafe Neeman on yafo, near shlomzion hamalka. Bourekas, sandwiches and make your own salad. Pretty inexpensive.
I think there's also a Sam's bagels nearby?
Most bakeries also sell inexpensive sandwiches.
Pizza and falafel and shwarma are everywhere.
McDonald's on Ben Yehuda

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:44 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Trying to keep costs low as possible. I dont have a $$$ number.

But also don’t want to be cooking dinner all week. So I’m interested in places that have decent food but doesn’t need to be top notch in terms of a dining experience.

Is Greens inexpensive? Bagel stores? Other milchik or fleishik places that have a more casual atmosphere but are clean and the food is good?

We’re not “foodies”, our kids don’t have the most adventurous palates.

Any and all recommendations (mehadrin) and if possible, tell me the neighborhood, would be appreciated.

So I have no idea what you consider expensive or inexpensive without a number. I'm thinking in shekels, in relative to an Israeli salary and a smaller family. You have a different mindset.

More or less all the milchig cafes and resteraunts are the same price range. Burgers runs the same usually.
Cheaper options are pizza, felafel, any fast food place.

Mr. Green is more expensive than other make your own salad places. Bagels aren't as cheap as felafel but are cheaper than a proper resteraunt generally.

If you eat Chassam Sofer Petach Tikvah (which we don't as do almost all chareidim) aroma is very budget friendly and has great food, and many branches. (we used to eat there)

queene

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 6:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would like to do a Machane Yehuda food tour very soon - I'm wondering if it's feasible to do myself or safer with a tour guide, kashrus-wise. Can I just look for Badatz Mehadrin? Can anyone help me with where is safe to eat there now kashrus-wise if in general we would want Badatz Mehadrin or otherwise recommend a tour guide? (I'd prefer to do it myself actually, but obviously don't want to make mistakes.)
Thank you!

Check out her site. Looks like she gives awesome tours
http://tovainisrael.com/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics