Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Do you work from home? I want to hear about your job!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:22 pm

DallasIma

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oooooh I actually REALLY WISH I could do something like that!! I did do a training course in proofreading and editing a while ago but nothing ever came of it...

It was really Hashgacha Pratit that I ended up in that field. I love that kind of work. Oh, and I do transcribing at home as well. There's one company I've been doing transcriptions for, for the last 40 years or so. I've done transcribing for other people/companies but mostly for that company. For a while I tried working for an outfit that farmed out legal transcriptions, but I didn't like that work (it was too exacting) and I found the pay scale to be lower than was worth it. I've never become a certified transcriptionist although I know that there is a certification process for that. So it's basically just freelance work for the same client who has used me for all these years, mostly to transcribe meetings. They had their last meeting on Zoom, and I got a kick out of seeing the faces that went with the voices. Some of them, I had pictured very differently.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:25 pm
I work in the writing industry, doing a mix of writing, ghostwriting, editing, coaching, and guiding new authors through the publication process. The majority of my parnassah comes from the secular market, but I also work in the Jewish (frum) market because that’s my passion.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:12 pm
DallasIma wrote:
I work as a proofreader/copy editor for the local Jewish newspaper. Never had any special training in that (my college degree is in an unrelated field and I never used it because I took the mommy track right after I got that degree) but I have a natural talent for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. It was Hashgacha Pratit how I got that job; I had been working for another Jewish company and then they had a reduction in force and my job was eliminated. So I contacted the newspaper to ask if they knew of any open positions, and they said THEY had an open position. At that time I became an assistant editor, but then I scaled back several years later (in fact I retired and then un-retired) and became just a proofreader and copy editor, which is a much less demanding job. Usually I work a few hours one or two days each week. Since March I've been working from home.

ETA: My kids are long grown and out of the house, and we have an empty nest.

Was actually just saying how I would love to be a proofreader. I have an eye for catching grammar mistakes and typos. Typos and mistakes are one of my biggest pet peeves while reading novels.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:20 pm
I’m a graphic designer. I have a few companies that I work for making website banners, and promotional emails. I charge $45 per hour.
I didn’t take any course, I’m self taught

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:53 pm
I'm a software engineer, my salary is over 100k and I work from home full time (40hrs officially but it's flexible). I have no college degree, I just have a knack for coding and problem solving. I did take a 9 month bootcamp though. I think it's a great opportunity for a frum woman but you do need to enjoy the work to get ahead in the field.

basyisrael18

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 9:40 pm
I'm a grant writer for a frum company and am completely remote - had this job for nearly a year now. Love it!

I get paid per hour. Right now I am working about 20-25 hours each week.

This company trains employees from scratch. But you need to be the type to be good at grant writing. Basically, you need to be detail-oriented, a good writer, and someone who can learn on the job. You also have to be good at coordinating with a team, at least in my company.

I got a BA in English Literature and took a course to become a certified grant writer from the American Grant Writers' Association. But it's really important to have a BA and a knack for writing. The rest of my schooling was unnecessary.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:21 pm
Underwriter in cash advance but it’s not typical to work from home it just ended up that way for me

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:44 pm
Bookkeeping
I'm fortunate that I work from home and have flexibility in my hours, but I can climb the walls with boredom, I'm slowly losing my mind.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:07 am
I work for an insurance broker. I have lots of office work experience (all from home in the last almost decade, and two years before I got married I worked full time in an office). They taught me all I need to know about insurance.

I’ve worked in real estate, virtual assistant for numerous types of fields - service based, non profit... did my share is data entry.

Now I’m getting $30/ hour and I work about 18 hours a week

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:06 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I'm a software engineer, my salary is over 100k and I work from home full time (40hrs officially but it's flexible). I have no college degree, I just have a knack for coding and problem solving. I did take a 9 month bootcamp though. I think it's a great opportunity for a frum woman but you do need to enjoy the work to get ahead in the field.

Do you have any coding bootcamps you recommend? I'm really interested...

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:52 am
Medical transcriptionist. Really great job because you make your own hours and take on as many accounts as you want. Pay depends on your speed, usually about 16-23 USD/hour. It did require a 6-month training course.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:05 am
I help coaches and speakers launch podcasts, edit podcasts, youtube channels and repurposing content. I signed up for an online course where I learned podcast production and business marketing. The course actually is opened up this week only if anyone wants to join. They teach you how to become a freelancer in various areas such as writing, digital marketing, tech support, social media manager, OBM etc.

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:33 am
Hair and wig styling part time and flexible , took course in high school but otherwise got experience working for others and through practice/tutorials
Love what I do and hope to get busier with it

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:58 am
Im a registered nurse that does telehealth and chart reviews work from home

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:02 am
Anyone else feeling like since covid working from home became more accepted.

I’m a software engineer who poster like 2 years ago. I’ve seen working from home becomemuch more acceptable and saw a huge pay jump I think because of that. (It used to be work from home was seen as a perk and now it is standard)

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:05 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
So I dont work for vipkid. There are many companies.
Yes, now with covid and so many unemployed, they have loads of teachers and not such a demand from the students.
Yes, pay is around 20 an hour. The compsay I work for, the more hours you work, the more bonuses.
And, it's really funny bec the kids dont really know english and so you have to teach them stuff with toys and hand gestures and it's also interesting to get a real glimpse into such a diff culture.
can I ask which company you work for? I did vipkid but it didn't work for me, then I did a company called Zebra English but they closed down

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 2:32 am
curlyhead wrote:
I help coaches and speakers launch podcasts, edit podcasts, youtube channels and repurposing content. I signed up for an online course where I learned podcast production and business marketing. The course actually is opened up this week only if anyone wants to join. They teach you how to become a freelancer in various areas such as writing, digital marketing, tech support, social media manager, OBM etc.

I would love to hear more about this.

What course are you taking?

And what is the average hourly salary for such a service?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 3:38 am
Is anyone here a news writer in the US, who works from home? With the option to go out and cover with a camera and microphone but that's totally up to you and you could do your job from home if you didn't want to do the on-the-ground coverage?

Do you get a salary? Insurance?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 4:49 am
I’m a secretary for one company and a marketing manager for another. Plus, I run both companies Instagram accounts. I get paid by the hour but there is a minimum hours a week. I work better 15-20 hours a week.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers