Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Please think of all the other children and the Morahs !
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

If your child has fever have you ever given them Tylenol or Motrin and sent them to school withou waiting 24 hours?
Yes  
 15%  [ 31 ]
No  
 84%  [ 172 ]
Total Votes : 203

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:55 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
Not every fever is contagious. My kids spike a high fever every time they break a tooth, so no, I don’t keep them home for a fever when they’re not sick. I do my best with colds and fever but they got it at school so everyone exposed and there aren’t always other options.

I’m sorry if your kid is sick you need to figure out other options. Forget about the other kids in the class, for your own child’s sake let the kids stay home. It’s no fun going to school sick, moms you need to keep kids who don’t feel well home.
If your kid needs Tylenol to get through the day you are doing the wrong thing sending the kid to school!
That Rebbe is 100% right.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:31 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
Not every fever is contagious. My kids spike a high fever every time they break a tooth, so no, I don’t keep them home for a fever when they’re not sick. I do my best with colds and fever but they got it at school so everyone exposed and there aren’t always other options.

fever litteraly means the body is fighting something aka a virus. The teething MYTH comes because the childs in pain so their immune system is weaker makeing them more likely to get sick.
And I will repeat myself from before.
IF YOUR CHILD IS TEETHING HOW DO YOU EXCPECT ME TO COMFORT HIM? BY LOVEING AND HUGGING EVEN THOUGH YOU WONT LISTEN TO THE RULES?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:39 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
OMG! I could've written this. So many times I'll call the parent to say their kid has fever and they act surprised when the kids told Me "my mommy gave me orange medicine before school" BUSTED

Your reeks from motrin and your telling me you didnt give it to him?
Also a-lot of parents dont know this... But the daiper gives it away! Yep when I change the kids daiper I know to kid away from the other kids.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:49 am
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
It all depends on why they had a fever. If they had an ear infection, then yes, I will send them to school less than 24 hours later. My doctor said that's fine.
Also, my kids might get tylenol in the morning if they have a headache. Just b/c they reported that they had medicine, it doesn't mean they had a fever. Don't be so quick to condemn.

My doctor said that's fine.
I never understood those parents. If theres a school rule you follow the rule. If the doctor said its fine please by all means send the kid to his place.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:18 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Your reeks from motrin and your telling me you didnt give it to him?
Also a-lot of parents dont know this... But the daiper gives it away! Yep when I change the kids daiper I know to kid away from the other kids.

Just curios how can I tell? I babysit and would want to know

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:10 am
Babies who are on Tylenol every day for teething pain (like mine- 1 dose every morning and 1 dose at bedtime for 2 weeks at a time ) are not what OP means.
OP also doesn’t mean kids who have actual allergies and need nightly meds for them. My oldest has horrific allergies and until we figured out the right combination of allergy meds used to occasionally throw up at night from the post nasal drip and cough. The first few times it happened I kept her home the next day. Once we figured out the cause, Dr. cleared us to send her to school anyway, but I gave the teacher a heads up to call me if she seemed at all off.

Most mothers can use reasonable judgment to tell if your kid is sick. If your kid is sick, keep them home please! You don’t know who has an immunocompromised grandmother living with them or a newborn baby at home. And it’s not fair to the other mothers and the Morah who will have to take time off because you only thought about yourself

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:13 am
so you would rather the teacher get sick and have to stay home for unpaid sick-time? Selfish. But ookay!
You excpect me to love your child after?
Put up with their quirks?
Put in extra energy makeing sure your child learns something?
Put in extra energy makeing sure your child is happy?

Just so we’re clear, you’re saying you would punish the child for the actions of the parent?
You sound like a swell teacher.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:15 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
Just so we’re clear, you’re saying you would punish the child for the actions of the parent?

I will try to stay away from the clearly sick kid though. Not invite them over to my desk for extra math help, not offer to open the snack they first tried biting open. Etc

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:16 am
fever litteraly means the body is fighting something aka a virus. The teething MYTH comes because the childs in pain so their immune system is weaker makeing them more likely to get sick.
IF YOUR CHILD IS TEETHING HOW DO YOU EXCPECT ME TO COMFORT HIM? BY LOVEING AND HUGGING EVEN THOUGH YOU WONT LISTEN TO THE RULES?

You are correct that it is now officially classified as a myth, but millions of mothers worldwide still swear that it is not.
As for the comfort, that’s…. what the painkiller was for?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:18 am

She saying you can’t expect her to give the extra TLC that’s required for sick kids

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:20 am
You are correct that it is now officially classified as a myth, but millions of mothers worldwide still swear that it is not.
As for the comfort, that’s…. what the painkiller was for?

It wears off halfway through the day. There’s also the nose that’s needs to be constantly wiped. The tiredness from not sleeping well. Coughing and sneezing that’s Tylenol doesn’t help.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:44 am
A friend of mine who runs a playgroup for 3 year olds had so many kids coming in sick, infecting others who then came in sick, that she closed down her group for three days (Thursday, Friday and Monday) to give everyone a chance to either get sick or recover. It was a drastic move, but it did send a very clear message to the parent body.

I'm a therapist. Over the past month it's happened twice that a client has come into my office with mom or dad toting an extra sibling. When I ask, they'll say that the little bother or sister is home sick with covid or the flu. I've also had one client come in in sweats, obviously home from school; mom cheerfully telling me that the kid has the flu but not to worry, she carefully dosed the kid with Motrin so that his fever would be down for our session. I sympathize with parents not wanting to cancel a therapy session, but in both cases I had to ask the client/client's sibling to leave. I don't want to spend 45 minutes in my windowless office with flu or covid germs.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:48 am
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
She saying you can’t expect her to give the extra TLC that’s required for sick kids

acctually im the kind of person who would give the kid the tlc they need.
My point was if your entrusting your most precious possession to someone. Do you really really want to make them mad at you? I sincerely love all my babies so when you do something to hurt them I will get mad.
I dont have kids of my own and yes parents have said the dumbest things to me (one mom was literally crying to me when her 23 month old didnt want to nurse and that meant she was going to get pregnant again because thats the only thing that works for her.) I get it its hard to have kids and you dont have to tiptoe around my feelings. I know you love your kid and your allowed to tell me your overwhelmed. The only thing that I DO mind is haveing to take off work because YOUR KID WAS SICK! Do you think thats fair?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:53 am
millions of mothers worldwide still swear that it is not.

if youll look at my post you will see reason for that. A weaker immune system means easily getting sick faster.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 10:39 am

What is the myth exactly? I know plenty of people whose kids get fever when teething.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 10:59 am
acctually im the kind of person who would give the kid the tlc they need.
My point was if your entrusting your most precious possession to someone. Do you really really want to make them mad at you? I sincerely love all my babies so when you do something to hurt them I will get mad.
I dont have kids of my own and yes parents have said the dumbest things to me (one mom was literally crying to me when her 23 month old didnt want to nurse and that meant she was going to get pregnant again because thats the only thing that works for her.) I get it its hard to have kids and you dont have to tiptoe around my feelings. I know you love your kid and your allowed to tell me your overwhelmed. The only thing that I DO mind is haveing to take off work because YOUR KID WAS SICK! Do you think thats fair?

You probably should have not responded, and just let everyone think you meant you wouldn’t give extra TLC. That’s much better than saying you would get mad at an innocent kid, and punish them for their parents behavior. As a teacher, even if you are mad, it is 100% never ok to take that out on children.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:06 am
My doctor said that's fine.
I never understood those parents. If theres a school rule you follow the rule. If the doctor said its fine please by all means send the kid to his place.

Ear infections are not contagious, and very often will go away on their own without antibiotics. I have taken a few of my kids to the doc a few times for other things, and I was surprised that they had an ear infection. If my kid isn’t complaining about it, I don’t treat it. No reason not to send a child with an ear infection they are not complaining about, to school. Obviously if the child has fever, I keep them home even if they aren’t complaining, and they will be home until they are fever free for 24 hours. But if there’s no fever and they’re not complaining, it’s off to school.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:06 am
A few weeks ago my preschooler felt a drop warm. I took her temperature with that very inaccurate forehead thermometer and I got anything between 98 and 100.3. so I decided to take the temperature rectally and whatever it said that's what I would go by. I took the temperature rectally and it was 99.7 which a child is 100% allowed in school with that so I sent her to school. I decided to give her Advil just in case anything was bothering her and then she'd be comfortable but there was really no reason why the child should miss school and I should have had to take off that day.

For a real fever over 100.4, then absolutely I would never send. But it has to be 100.4 on am oral or rectal thermometer. The forehead ones say all sorts of wacky things.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:51 pm
I answered yes to the poll, but that absolutely didn’t mean I would send a kid with fever after giving Motrin. Would never do that. I wait until there is no fever with no medicine. But I do not wait 24 hours after every fever. If a kid has low fever at 6 pm and then sleeps through the night and has no fever in the morning, they definitely go to school. After a more major illness such as flu, I would wait 24 hours fever free.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:14 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
What is the myth exactly? I know plenty of people whose kids get fever when teething.

im working with babies for 15 years and ive never had a baby who got fever solely from teething.
I have had parents tell me its teething but it never was.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics