Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
New vs. Used
Previous  1  2  3

Used luxury or new regular quality?
New item  
 73%  [ 89 ]
Used luxury item  
 26%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 121

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:05 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
For all of you that are experienced at this, does it pay to buy a designer watch or jewelry on eBay or can you get scammed?

Some people buy on eBay and are very successful. I watched a few ebay cases on Judge Judy and realized how easy it is to get scammed too. The most expensive thing I bought on ebay was a used cell phone for $100.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:05 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
There are many second hand clothing places where I live. The highlight of my daughter's vacation last year was when we went to one of the second hand stores and she came out with a LOOOT of new things. They were new to her and to her it was so exciting that she was able to get 10 fold with the same amount of money as in a regular store where we could have bought a sweatshirt.
I dont see anythign wrong with buying used. Its very much accepted here in Israel, in every walk of life.

I learned about second hand shopping when my mom gave me a clothing allowance: I learned I could go to Macy's and buy one sweater, or Goodwill and buy ten. Best lesson ever

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 1:41 pm
I try to find used good quality.

I wanted a really warm (and stylish) coat, couldn’t find anything I like within my budget.
I found a used, great condition mackage coat for $350.
I’m very happy with my purchase.
I also got my sons crib 2nd hand.
Oh and my toddlers Yoyo stroller.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 2:20 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Do you also take along your own linen when going on vacation, and not sit in chairs by other peoples' houses? Do you only use items made for yourself? Just wondering what the difference is.

And the supermarket, uch the handles on the shopping wagons are all clammy
The seats in the restaurant , makes me lose my apetite
Dh was a masgiach a few times
He told me what goes on in kitchen, I nearly Puke

Kiddush at shul is unbearable

I am reminded of the Gam about Churban Bayis, this royal lady stepped on a chewed up fig and died of shock

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 8:57 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Some people buy on eBay and are very successful. I watched a few ebay cases on Judge Judy and realized how easy it is to get scammed too. The most expensive thing I bought on ebay was a used cell phone for $100.

So if I buy something is there no protection from fraud?

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:53 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
So if I buy something is there no protection from fraud?

I pay via PayPal and they'll refund you the money if there's fraud.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:13 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
I try to find used good quality.

I wanted a really warm (and stylish) coat, couldn’t find anything I like within my budget.
I found a used, great condition mackage coat for $350.
I’m very happy with my purchase.
I also got my sons crib 2nd hand.
Oh and my toddlers Yoyo stroller.

Where?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:28 am
I was a neglected child with rags on me so today I need new .Not expensive,not a lot , but new and trending

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:39 am
Chayalle wrote:
Do you also take along your own linen when going on vacation, and not sit in chairs by other peoples' houses? Do you only use items made for yourself? Just wondering what the difference is.

I do not buy used clothes, shoes, jewelry, handbags, etc. I would consider used furniture or baby gear (but definitely prefer new) and love visiting thrift shops for books and games.

I was forced to wear hand-me-downs as a child so it still disgusts me and I can't get myself to do it, for myself or my children. But I respect the value of secondhand clothes and admire those who do it.

When sleeping at others' homes, I do like to bring my own pillow case and a lightweight fleece blanket.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:11 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Where?

Coat on eBay. Free returns.
Crib on Craigslist
Yoyo from someone local

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:51 am
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
I pay via PayPal and they'll refund you the money if there's fraud.

This! Most reputable eBay sellers insist on PayPal.

Also, some categories of goods are more prone to fraud than others. Handbags used to be rife with scammers and counterfeit bags, but eBay cracked down on them a number of years ago. Clothing and housewares seem to have fewer scammers than electronics.

I've gotten amazing deals on eBay -- it just takes a little time to learn the system and figure out when a deal isn't really a deal (like a seller charging $12.85 for shipping on an item that probably costs $1.98 to actually ship).

Facebook Marketplace is a.great place for gently-used toys and children's books. My daughters have a veritable toy store -- one of them paid $10 for a Little Tykes car. They've gotten kids' books for pennies.

In general, some items lend themselves to the secondary market better than others. A high-quality luxury item that will last and can be refurbished if necessary is usually a good bet. Items that are designed to be inexpensive and somewhat disposable, like the less-expensive Ikea lines, are usually more trouble than they're worth to buy used.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:34 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Coat on eBay. Free returns.
Crib on Craigslist
Yoyo from someone local

I think it takes a knack.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:47 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
I think it takes a knack.

Possible, I found 2nd hand stuff for relatives and friends as well.

miami85

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:57 pm
I think it largely depends on the neighborhood. A Goodwill in the Upper East Side is likely to have better quality stuff than Harlem--just an example. People who can afford to buy a new couch every year will have better 2nd hand than one that gets well-loved for 10-15.

It helps when you know the value. I have found my Timex watch to last better than some other nicer brands at twice the price. I bought myself a wedding present with some wedding money and ended up exchanging the watches twice in a month, my Timex I bought after that lasted me almost 10 years.

I read a report that Cosco and Graco carseats are "just as safe" as their more expensive counterparts.

I don't really understand the allure of Gucci or Prada, I'm happy with my "naturalizer" and "other no name brands"

I think you can use a lot of common sense when shopping thrift/second hand stores--if it looks well worn, don't get it, if it looks new, than why not? I got a pair of shoes at a Goodwill that looked brand new and it has been the best purchase I've made there in a long time. I also get head scarves--Pashmina brand many of them--for a dollar or two rather than $11+ on other websites.

I've often heard that you want to know what brand of pants to buy your boys? Check out what ends up at the re-sale stores, then you know that they last.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:22 pm
Anyone buy a designer watch second hand? What would be the best site? eBay?
How can I know I’m getting a good deal?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:23 pm
Mostly used or free. Often from discounters.

I like not having to worry about clothes since they're not new and perfect.

Shoes, as long as they aren't very used. Only patterns and fun colors that didn't get a lot of wear.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:33 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I was a neglected child with rags on me so today I need new .Not expensive,not a lot , but new and trending

So understand that! But it's interesting how this trauma affects people differently. I was also completely neglected with absolutely no clothing (and this unfortunately is no exaggeration and traumatic to write about) and I actually love buying my clothes on ebay and at goodwill and I love things that are interesting and different...whereas my sister is like you. Always must be new and trending.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics