Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should I save hand-me-downs for 8 years?
Previous  1  2

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 10:13 am
My kids wear lots of clothes that were saved for a full generation. I have found all the saved items to be in good condition (unless already stained) except for socks. Socks don't seem to last. But I would save really nice or sentimental things.

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 10:18 am
Hope this is not controversial but I wouldn't save. Your house being neat clean is worth more then having boxes of clothing that maybe he will or wont wear in 10 years.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 10:32 am
Some items if in very good condition.
When I get rid of things I don't need anymore I can definitely see that Kadosh Baruch Hu is sending me things that I have really needed!
Last summer I got rid of tons of things (you won't believe what people have use for, it's kind of surprising!)
I wanted a good chest of drawers for my hall but it had to be high and small, limited space. And yes, Kadosh Baruch Hu sent me the perfect one.

abaker

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:26 am
I would give away to someone who could use them now. Or sell them at once upon a child. Keeping the stuff that long won't be good unless it's one or two meaningful pieces. The styles change. Like others have said wide legged pants from my kids 8 years ago look silly if I'm passing it on to my sister who is expecting now when the style is more slim fit. And that was only from 8 years ago. I'd rather someone use it now than dump it in a few years and no one ended up using it. Also a new wardrobe doesn't need to cost tons in the future. Like if money was tight you could always buy a few simple pants and a few tops. That's it.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:33 am
If you decide to save I suggest using vacuum sealed bags in a container. Should last quite a while.

FTR, my 4 year old son is wearing Shabbos sweaters, shirts, and boots from my 13 year old cousin. They look great on him.

I don't have hand me down pants that old so can't speak for elastics. But everything else thats isn't trendy held up well.

My aunt put away and never had any more sons... So I get to benefit.

And my baby is wearing hand me downs from my 9 year old cousin on the other side that his older brother wore too...

hodeez

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:41 am
My girls are 5 and 6 and I've been giving away my girls clothes. Even if I have a girl next year it would still take years until I use those stored clothes. I'd rather give it to a relative who could use it at the moment.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:37 pm
I'm trying hard not to save.

I can't stand hearing that my mil put on for her baby items that my dh wore! (DH is mid/high 20s)

But, I do try to shop cheap/affordable and I only have a toddler that stains a lot of his/her stuff.
$12 H & M tee is not worth saving. Leggings, if it didn't tear I am saving - can be used by both genders.

I pass most things onto siblings kids that I know will be willing to pass back to me if sizes work.

Newborn items I did keep. Always good to have extra swaddles/onsies even if styles drastically save.

More expensive items like coats/jackets, I try sizing up so child can use for 2 season.

Classics like boots and crocs I am saving or passing and requesting them back.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics