Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Challah dough help

blueberry6

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:21 pm
So I just made my challah dough and it is wet and STICKY. So sticky, in fact, that it's practically dripping through my fingers and sticking to my countertop. I seem to remember this happening to me once or twice before; what am I doing wrong? Could it be that the water was too warm? It doesn't usually happen, only occasionally, so I have no idea what's causing it.
And my other question - what can I do about it at this point, if anything? I mean, I need to be able to work with it enough to braid it!
Any and all advice appreciated!!!

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:24 pm
Ummm add flour! You can add some oil too.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:25 pm
Where in the process of making the dough are you? It sounds like you haven’t braided it yet, but has it risen once already?

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:26 pm
There is too much water. Is this a full 5 pound batch? How much water does it call for? I think the only way to remedy it is to add more flour at this point.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:27 pm
Just add flour

blueberry6

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:29 pm
I should have mentioned that I've already added flour, but it's so sticky that feel like I would need to add another bag to make it workable - that's what I seem to remember from the last time this happened.
The dough is already made - I was trying to transfer it to a bowl to rise when I noticed how sticky it was

blueberry6

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:30 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Ummm add flour! You can add some oil too.

Really, oil works?

blueberry6

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:32 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
There is too much water. Is this a full 5 pound batch? How much water does it call for? I think the only way to remedy it is to add more flour at this point.

It's a full 5 lb. Recipe calls for 5 and a half cups of water, but I've used this recipe quite a few times with no issues

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:36 pm
blueberry6 wrote:
I should have mentioned that I've already added flour, but it's so sticky that feel like I would need to add another bag to make it workable - that's what I seem to remember from the last time this happened.
The dough is already made - I was trying to transfer it to a bowl to rise when I noticed how sticky it was

If it hasn’t risen yet then definitely add more flour. You can add some oil, which will make it less sticky but won’t change how stiff it is.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:38 pm
Next time less water and if you need more later on, then slowly add. For now you can sprinkle lots of flour on top of the dough and on the kneading surface. A little extra oil smeared on top will make the dough smooth. It seems like there is too much water today.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:53 pm
Every batch of flour is different and the dough is also affected by humidity. No bread recipe is always perfect. You need to add flour cautiously so you don't overdo it, but if it's too sticky, always add until you reach the right texture.

Oil will make the dough more wet. Don't add it unless you need to even out the texture once more flour is added. But if you add too much oil, you may end up needing more flour.

I usually use one cup of water per pound of flour so 5.5 seems a bit too much. How much oil did the recipe call for?

blueberry6

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:33 pm
Thanks everyone for your tips.
To clarify, of course my first instinct would be to add more flour, but it was so so sticky that I wasn't sure how much flour I'd have to add and I was wondering if there was more efficient way. So I did use lots, and it helped to an extent, but it was still sticky underneath.
To the posters who suggested oil, thanks! I didn't actually add it to the dough, just used it to grease my fingers whenever the dough started feeling too sticky, and then it slid right off my fingers.
Anyway, it's all braided now and waiting to go into the oven. It still remains to be seen how it will taste, though.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions - I will definitely try to keep them in mind next time!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen