Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Preparing meals for family while I'm away

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:59 am
I will be away for a week, leaving my husband and children at home. Any tips for preparing meals in the freezer for them? Specifically sides - I can freeze the meatballs etc. but not really rice/potatoes/veggies... Any and all ideas appreciated!
Thank you!

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:03 am
Meat lasagna is an all in one meal that freezes week. You can also do sloppy Joe’s and make bread the side. And for the first few days you can make the starch ahead and leave it in the fridge.

How capable is your family? If you leave a bagged crockpot meal, are they able to drop it in the crockpot in the morning and turn it on?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:26 am
You can freeze rice, for sure. Kind of pointless since it is so easy to cook but depends how able your husband and kids are. Its easy to say pull out a tray and stick in the oven.

Other things that freeze well:

Soups of all kinds
lasagna (meat or dairy)
eggplant parm
shepherds pie
schnitzle or chinese style chicken nuggets
rice and meatballs.
orzo or israeli couscous with veggies
frozen pizza

Things like frozen peas, broccoli, carrots, edamame, etc can be microwaved. Leave bags of lettuce and cherry tomatoes, cucumbers - ask dh/kids to make a salad or cut up veggies or microwave veggies for each meal.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:06 am
Latkes freeze well, and you can vary the veg (parsnips, sweet potatoes etc - google for recipes). Also kugels.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 10:25 pm
Thank you so much everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen