Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If you moved to Florida in the past 2 years...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:04 pm
What area did you choose? And why?
I've been wanting to go for years and maybe we'll actually just go down for a year and see how it goes. But the communities all sound good.
Boca, Hollywood, NMB

Probably will rent for the time we would go down. I have boys and girls in elementary school.

I've heard about the school types and been in all the neighborhoods over the past couple years.. But I curious to hear from anyone who moved recently what drew you to your specific community youre in and would you change it now that your there.

For reference I'm moving from NJ Lakewood area. I'm not extreme yeshiva type at all, but wouldn't say MO either at all. (husband wears jeans, but davens 3 times a day, Im fully tzanua and hair covered. But I need a solid warm community.)

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:29 pm
I haven’t moved here in the past two years, but I have lived in NMB for 6 years. Happy to answer questions if that helps!

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:30 pm
Following

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What area did you choose? And why?
I've been wanting to go for years and maybe we'll actually just go down for a year and see how it goes. But the communities all sound good.
Boca, Hollywood, NMB

Probably will rent for the time we would go down. I have boys and girls in elementary school.

I've heard about the school types and been in all the neighborhoods over the past couple years.. But I curious to hear from anyone who moved recently what drew you to your specific community youre in and would you change it now that your there.

For reference I'm moving from NJ Lakewood area. I'm not extreme yeshiva type at all, but wouldn't say MO either at all. (husband wears jeans, but davens 3 times a day, Im fully tzanua and hair covered. But I need a solid warm community.)

I grew up in NMB, but haven’t lived there since I got married. Not sure if I can help, but I can try.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:38 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
I haven’t moved here in the past two years, but I have lived in NMB for 6 years. Happy to answer questions if that helps!

Thanks!
I asked the last 2 years because those other communities took off alot in the last 2 years. So 6 years ago I was only looking at nmb but now I see lots of people moving around the other neighborhoods and I'm wondering what made someone move to their community.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:43 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I grew up in NMB, but haven’t lived there since I got married. Not sure if I can help, but I can try.

Thanks! Just wanted to hear peoples different opinions of their chosen communities VS other ones.
Sometimes when I have too many options it makes it harder for me.
Wanted to move to nmb years ago but my husband had no interest. He warmed up to the idea but houses went crazy high and there are new communities now that sound tempting!

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:55 pm
We moved to North Miami Beach. We have friends here, which was a big pull. It's a very homey, out of town type community where all are welcome. I didn't get the same vibe from Hollywood - I found it to be much snobbier and very New Yorky.

Housing prices are crazy high now. Rent for a tiny single family home in NMB is about $3500 per month.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:03 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
We moved to North Miami Beach. We have friends here, which was a big pull. It's a very homey, out of town type community where all are welcome. I didn't get the same vibe from Hollywood - I found it to be much snobbier and very New Yorky.

Housing prices are crazy high now. Rent for a tiny single family home in NMB is about $3500 per month.

Ya.. So my issue is that I know 4 friends /family who moved to Hollywood and while I love them all I'm not sure it's my place I would want to settle in. But they keep telling me there are all diff types there.
That is expensive for a teeny house lol. I'm coming from a huge house but that's one of the reasons I'm reluctant to go there. Not because of small.. But because of run down and expensive.
Great info! Thanks for the reply!
I feel like boca and Hollywood would be a better fit for the housing. But it's not a reason to say no if everything else matches up.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ya.. So my issue is that I know 4 friends /family who moved to Hollywood and while I love them all I'm not sure it's my place I would want to settle in. But they keep telling me there are all diff types there.
That is expensive for a teeny house lol. I'm coming from a huge house but that's one of the reasons I'm reluctant to go there. Not because of small.. But because of run down and expensive.
Great info! Thanks for the reply!
I feel like boca and Hollywood would be a better fit for the housing. But it's not a reason to say no if everything else matches up.

Housing in Hollywood is even crazier than NMB. I also gave up a nice house on a huge lot with a front lawn and backyard simply for the quality of life here. It's incomparable. Coming from NY/NJ with the insane taxes makes life cheaper here (lower property tax, no state income tax) and the schools are better. By that I mean in terms of accepting people who they are. For example, I have one child in a very frum yeshiva and another in a very modern school. The Rosh Yeshiva told us he's so happy we chose schools based on our children's needs and not on what's the "accepted" thing to do like send all kids to schools with the same hashkafah. He was seriously thrilled that we didn't send the second child to his yeshiva because it wouldn't be a good fit. You can't find that in NY/NJ.

Editing to add that Boca is even more expensive than Hollywood. Housing is crazy right now because of so many people moving in to the State of the Free.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating