Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Are vacations a worthy expense?
1  2  Next

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:18 am
I'm not talking to the people who can't afford it as my heart really goes out to them. I'm not talking to the people where money is no issue. For the regular ol middle class do you think family vacations are a worthy expense? I grew up going to Florida only because grandparents lived there but otherwise we never really vacationed. We did trips but that is about it. I am wondering if the memories of a moderate vacation are worth the costs? I can think of better ways to allocate at least 1500 dollars then bringing my kids somewhere but I also wonder if it is nice to create these memories? How do you view vacations?

4g01o

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:20 am
You can't beat family vacation memories! . It's a real stretch for us to go away every year but we make it priority to go away as a family at least once a year.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:20 am
100 percent worth it

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:22 am
I have some nice memories of my childhood vacations but I dont feel that it was life changing either. Most of what I look back on and have nice memories of were not vacations it was just regular time spent together.

NewYorkgal31

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:25 am
I totally read this as “ are vaccines a worthy expense” lol

jflower

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:40 am
NewYorkgal31 wrote:

Time for a vacation!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:47 am
I would always rather spend money on experiences rather than things. I live I a small apartment with no cleaning help. But I spend money on vacations. I spend wisely (using points wherever possible Etc) but absolutely.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:50 am
It depends on what you mean by a vacation and what you do. Do I believe we have to fly somewhere? No. Does it need to include amusement parks? No!
But do I wish we could take a few days off and drive somewhere? Yes. Right now it is hard to do for a few reasons but yes, I would love to be able to take my kids somewhere.
As a kid I only flew to visit family. But I do have some fond memories of going to some places as a family, even if it was only for 1 or 2 days. Day trips are included and do create great memories and family bonding time!!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:54 am
vacation can be a car ride to a campingsite. bring your own food but I do think that that it is worthwhile.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:00 am
NewYorkgal31 wrote:

Same.

In response to the OP, unless you are footing the bill for someone else, it’s not for anyone else to decide. It is solely for the people spending the money. I think vacation is very important, because everyone needs a break.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:00 am
You said you "did trips" but not vacations. What does that mean? How is going on a trip or visiting family in another state not a vacation?

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:08 am
I am married over 30 years and all of my children are grown and married. I definitely do regret not going on enough vacations with our children as a family. And as previous posters have stated you don’t need to get on a plane to go somewhere in order to make family memories. Even if it’s day trips or a short overnight trip. Making memories as a family cannot be underestimated.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:24 am
My kids would answer a resounding yes to that question! Although they grow up in the relative bubble of Brooklyn, we have been able to broader their horizons in so many ways by traveling with them as much as possible. Our trips are mixes of getting into nature to see natural wonders, learning about history firsthand, and just as important - seeing different Jewish communities and learning about life outside our daled amos.

A son who's not yet in high school loves to discuss the 49 states he's visited. And I get so much nachas when my daughter comes home and tells me that they were learning about foreign cultures or famous places in the US in school, and she was able to raise her hand and talk about her experiences there!

We also love to collect souvenirs from our trips - mugs, magnets, books, photos - and the kids have so much time going through them and reliving our trips. You can't put a price on these memories, and I highly highly recommend traveling!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:47 am
Yes absolutely!! You create memories, have fun, have bonding experiences, plus it's so good to go to a different place, see different sites,relax from every day life totally worth it! I rather not buy clothes for myself the entire year and take a family vacation!

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:59 am
I should clarify. My kids have been to six flags as we have a membership. We also went to Philly for an overnight trip. So next question. Where did you all go that was memorable?

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:03 am
Honestly, I don't think there's a "right" answer. So much depends on various circumstances in your life.

My husband traveled extensively for business for a number of years, and I traveled approximately once a month. Personally, I'd be happy never to darken the doors of an airport again, and I'm even worse when it comes to a car ride over 90 minutes.

We did go to a winter resort for a few days when our kids were teens -- it was organized by Agudath Midwest to encourage families to take a more modest break than a Florida trip. It was nice enough, but I don't think anyone has exceptional memories of it.

Most of my kids traveled a bit when they reached their late teens/early 20s. They went to chassunahs, of course, and took a few trips with friends to various places.

If you like family trips and vacations; have far-flung relatives; or have an unusual opportunity for a trip -- go for it. If not, don't worry -- you can make plenty of great memories for your kids at your dining room or kitchen table.

"We see the world as we are; not as it is."

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:21 am
I think its worth it if you can afford it. Even a short day trip, or one night at a hotel is nice and will leave good memories.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:31 am
You don't have to fly or spend on pricy hotels/restaurants to go on a vacation. You can go on a road trip for a few days, bring along food, stay at a modest hotel. Nature hikes, renting bikes on a trail, inexpensive museums, etc rather than expensive all inclusive activity places.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:33 am
I think it's important for the children to have some sort of break...

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:36 am
Does going to a bungalow colony count?

As a kid, my family did not "vacation". We went to bungalow colonies.

Our trips were to a bowling alley or paddleboating.

But I have great memories.

We also did Day Trips on Chol HaMoed to amusement parks, concerts, aquarium.

And movies back when there were plenty of G-rated ones.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics