Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/o declining invite-how many people have just 1 sink
Previous  1  2  3  4

Do you have one sink?
Yes  
 35%  [ 96 ]
No  
 64%  [ 175 ]
Total Votes : 271

simcha2

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow I didn't realize I would be opening up such a can of worms. I had no idea that 2 sinks was such a 'rich priveldge'.
I don't think it's a big deal in the UK, you just need a plumber to come and add the pipes, then someone will cut a hole in the counter and put in the sink. There's no planning permission or permits. It's your house, you can do what you want inside. And you have the water pipes for the first sink, and possibly your dishwasher and/or washing machine, so it's not like you have to pull the water from the other side of the house.
Even with rentals, most rentals in my area are owned by Jewish landlords and they put a second sink in.

But most houses only have 1 bathroom, so guess things are all relative. Very few people, unless they've done work to their house-added more at the side/back or added a 3rd floor, will have more than 1 bathroom. Some houses will have a toilet downstairs.

I suppose a lot of it is what you're used to.

I'm so curious where you grew up. As I said, I grew up in the UK and I didn't know anyone with 2 separate sinks. Most had one, and very few had a double sink.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:30 am
Kitchens in the UK are not that different than in the US. I've never seen a house without a fitted kitchen, except a National Trust stately home with the victorian kitchen on show... Even my grandmother in the 80s had a fitted kitchen. Only major difference is that in the US almost everyone has those super expensive fridge freezers with icemakers. (which cost about $2000, as opposed to a standard fridge freezer which costs $500.|). Huge fancy fridges also take away from the counter space but I guess frum americans prefer being able to have ice whenever they want and struggle with washing up. Its all about priorities. Smile

Our sinks are both on the same counter. TBH I wasn't involved with the finanaces of our kitchen so I don't know what the difference is between making one or two sinks, but I can't imagine that it was that great.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:33 am
simcha2 wrote:
I'm so curious where you grew up. As I said, I grew up in the UK and I didn't know anyone with 2 separate sinks. Most had one, and very few had a double sink.

I grew up in stamford hill. Don't remember any of my friends only having one sink.

I think among the more RW crowd, people also have much bigger families so need bigger houses so putting in a second sink is usually an easy choice.

PinkFridge

Sorry, I skipped the middle pages so don't know if anyone else suggested this. I voted in the poll but would love to see these options:
one sink
two sinks side by side
two (or more) completely separate sinks
Or maybe a fourth option for more.

honey36

Of course your kitchen can be kosher with only one sink and I'd never doubt otherwise! It's just easier with 2. My house also has one bathroom, one oven, tiny kitchen, and I'm fine with all that, but so happy we put in the sink.

Don't remember how much it cost, but don't think it was a big deal. We didn't need a new cabinet, the laundry room was right under kitchen so we were able to run pipes up from there, so rlly just had to pay for the sink itself and plumber to do the work- cut a whole in the counter, run the pipes up etc. No breaking down walls or permits or anything!

simcha2

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:39 am
Raisin wrote:
I grew up in stamford hill. Don't remember any of my friends only having one sink.

I think among the more RW crowd, people also have much bigger families so need bigger houses so putting in a second sink is usually an easy choice.

Maybe that's the difference. I grew up in NW London with everyone in 3 bed semis, unless they were very fancy, in which case they had a 4 bed semi!

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:40 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Forgive me for asking, but your house only have 1 bathroom in total? Or like 1.5 bathrooms? I’ve never heard of a house with only one toilet!

The privilege in this thread is really eye-opening. I guess that's how the other half lives. Where I come from the norm is small kitchens with one sink, and it's common to have one bathroom though it's not that uncommon to have two. Of course there are a few families who did well and expanded/renovated and we're all very happy for them but nobody considers these things a given.

Yeah I didn't read the 3 other pages. Presumably I'm not the only one saying this and then there are also a slew of replies about how it's not at all narrow-minded to think that anybody can just renovate whenever and you can't exist with less.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow I didn't realize I would be opening up such a can of worms. I had no idea that 2 sinks was such a 'rich priveldge'.
I don't think it's a big deal in the UK, you just need a plumber to come and add the pipes, then someone will cut a hole in the counter and put in the sink. There's no planning permission or permits. It's your house, you can do what you want inside. And you have the water pipes for the first sink, and possibly your dishwasher and/or washing machine, so it's not like you have to pull the water from the other side of the house.
Even with rentals, most rentals in my area are owned by Jewish landlords and they put a second sink in.

But most houses only have 1 bathroom, so guess things are all relative. Very few people, unless they've done work to their house-added more at the side/back or added a 3rd floor, will have more than 1 bathroom. Some houses will have a toilet downstairs.

I suppose a lot of it is what you're used to.

Are there no building codes in the UK?
We added a separate sink for hand washing and it required venting to the roof. I suppose some people resist the permits and inspections because they want to limit construction costs and keep their taxes down, but the rules are usually for good safety reasons. And having a plumber "add the pipes" is very expensive in the US. Plumbers make a good living!

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:44 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Forgive me for asking, but your house only have 1 bathroom in total? Or like 1.5 bathrooms? I’ve never heard of a house with only one toilet!

Growing up, our apartment in Brooklyn had 1 bathroom, 4 people. Don't remember it being such a problem .I guess we weren't spoiled. You get used to anything.

Reality

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:49 am
amother [ Tanzanite ] wrote:
Growing up, our apartment in Brooklyn had 1 bathroom, 4 people. Don't remember it being such a problem .I guess we weren't spoiled. You get used to anything.

Very true. I grew up 11 people sharing two bathrooms, only one shower.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:06 am
Raisin wrote:
Kitchens in the UK are not that different than in the US. I've never seen a house without a fitted kitchen, except a National Trust stately home with the victorian kitchen on show... Even my grandmother in the 80s had a fitted kitchen. Only major difference is that in the US almost everyone has those super expensive fridge freezers with icemakers. (which cost about $2000, as opposed to a standard fridge freezer which costs $500.|). Huge fancy fridges also take away from the counter space but I guess frum americans prefer being able to have ice whenever they want and struggle with washing up. Its all about priorities. Smile

Our sinks are both on the same counter. TBH I wasn't involved with the finanaces of our kitchen so I don't know what the difference is between making one or two sinks, but I can't imagine that it was that great.

I don't have the fridge extras but to be fair, Rabbi Frand speaks about this. He writes about getting a new fridge and being given a free upgrade (or maybe very minimal?) to an ice machine. Sure, why not? Then - don't remember at what point - he realized that they've now set the normal bar for their kids. Because whatever you grow up with becomes your baseline in life.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen