Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
ISO Sweet Bakery Style Corn Muffin Recipe

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 2:21 pm
I’m looking a recipe for corn muffins similar to the large, crispy ones they sell in the bakery. I’ve tried some recipes that didn’t end up sweet, more like cornbread. Any recipe recommendations? Bonus points if it’s non-dairy!
Thanks in advance!

Donuts

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 4:45 pm
I also need one!

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 5:22 pm
Al's New York Corn Muffins

Dear G. Waggoner: Happily. The recipe was my father’s. He baked them every day for the breakfast crowd at his little cafe in New York City’s Greenwich Village in the mid-1940s. The corn muffins are extremely crumbly but delicious. I used to love to lop off the muffin cap and butter the inside with sweet butter.

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
Salt
1 cup shortening, plus more for greasing
1 egg
1/¼ cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and dash salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg in small bowl. Stir in milk and vanilla. Add to corn meal mixture, stirring just enough to moisten. Do not over-beat.

Fill each of 12 muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake muffins at 350 degrees until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Let cool thoroughly in muffin cups before loosening from pan or they will fall apart. Carefully remove from pan.

New York Corn Muffins - Ruth Reichl
Makes 1 dozen muffins

Shopping List
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup corn kernels

Staples
1 cup flour
6 tablespoons white sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons butter
2 eggs

Mix the flour with the cornmeal. (I prefer stoneground.) Whisk in sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.

Melt the butter. Allow it to cool, then stir in buttermilk along with 1 egg and 1 additional egg yolk. Stir into the dry mixture. Toss in the corn kernels. (You can use frozen corn, and there’s no need to defrost it.) The dough will be lumpy; don’t worry about that.

Divide the batter into a well-greased muffin tin and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before turning the muffins out.

I like these best served the way they are in old New York coffee shops: split horizontally, brushed with butter, and toasted on a griddle or in a pan.

Junior's Corn Muffins

These muffins have such a fine grain that they're almost cake-like. They still have that golden corn look and taste and rise high and stately in the oven. Recipe from famous Junior's restaurant in Brooklyn."

INGREDIENTS
1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
1⁄2 cup sugar
2 extra large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Line 6 jumbo or 12 regular muffin tins with paper liners or spay them with Pam.

Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt together in medium-sized bowl and set aside.

Cream the butter and shortening in a large bowl (I use Kitchen Aid) with an electric mixer on high for 2 minutes.

Then, with mixer still running, gradually add sugar, then eggs, one at a time.

Continue beating until the batter is creamed and light yellow colored (may look slightly curdled) and add the vanilla.

Reduce mixer speed to low.

Beat in half of the flour mixture, then half of the milk, beating about 1 minutes after adding each.

Repeat, beating in the rest of the flour mixture, then the rest of the milk.

Beat the batter until well blended, about 1 minute more.

Spoon into muffin tins, almost up to the top.

Bake at 400°F for first 10 minutes.

Reduce temperature to 375°F for about 15 minutes or until golden and toothpick comes out clean.
M
akes one dozen regular muffins or 6 jumbo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins