Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Psychology of imitation brand name
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:25 am
While reading the Ali thread, I went from cracking up to confusion to curiosity...
What's this thing about buying imitation brand name items?? There were so many requests for things like "ugg lookalikes with ugg label"... Imitation this brand or that brand watch etc..... Are people just living for others???

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:28 am
Short answer is YES!

Esty 4

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:43 am
yup!

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:43 am
It is ridiculous.
Besides supporting illegal businesses (using ugg labels on non uggs shoes from your example) it also just continues the pressure to buy brand name. I know people who will only sit their kid in an X brand stroller. At a huge increase in cost but no additional safety/comfort benefit so it isnt "for the kid". Seriously- people are buying because of social pressures and "standards" that are not based on anything but what is in this year. Because it wont be in style for the next kid.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:18 am
Clearly.
It's all about show, and showing off.
One has to feel sorry for people who feel so worthless that they have to deck themselves with merchandise bearing someone else's name, and for people with so little judgment that they assume a label means something. And that's for the real McCoy (or the real Dior or Gucci or Givenchy).

One has to feel even sorrier for people who think they're being "classy" when they sport counterfeit merchandise, not realizing that they are publicly breaking the law and aiding criminals. Counterfeit goods, besides being illegal, are often made by victims of human trafficking and slave labor, and those who buy the goods are supporting criminals.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:20 am
zaq wrote:
Clearly.
It's all about show, and showing off.
One has to feel sorry for people who feel so worthless that they have to deck themselves with merchandise bearing someone else's name, and for people with so little judgment that they assume a label means something. And that's for the real McCoy (or the real Dior or Gucci or Givenchy).

One has to feel even sorrier for people who think they're being "classy" when they sport counterfeit merchandise, not realizing that they are publicly breaking the law and aiding criminals. Counterfeit goods, besides being illegal, are often made by victims of human trafficking and slave labor, and those who buy the goods are supporting criminals.

Or down right dangerous. How many Aliexpress Doona threads have you seen? What's more important? A car seat that will protect your baby, or the name?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:24 am
Sometimes, things are just cute. Like my mother got my kids the cutest uggs slippers. You can get the exact same thing in Ali for 35. So why not?

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:25 am
Not being at that stage of life, I haven't seen any of those threads, but I know what you mean. Producers of counterfeit goods evade the law, so they're not going to bother with piddling details like consumer product safety. And needless to say, if you have an issue with such a product, your chances of a refund are zero. If you think to sue, the company will have vanished like the morning mist.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:26 am
Honestly, I feel like I was born into the wrong generation. I don't get it!!

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:31 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Sometimes, things are just cute. Like my mother got my kids the cutest uggs slippers. You can get the exact same thing in Ali for 35. So why not?

I promise you, what you are getting on Ali is not the "same exact thing". And if you really want to know "why not"...

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu.....ucts/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36782724

You can learn a lot about the issues with this practice if you take a few minutes to google.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:31 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Maybe why not because it's illegal?

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:37 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

because if it says "uggs" or it looks just like uggs and says "aggs" or "muggs", it is counterfeit and you are breaking the law.You are helping support criminals. You are helping support sweatshops. You are helping perpetuate human misery. You are also heping defraud legitimate designers who put their brains and other resources into creating something, only to see thieves steal their ideas.

Imagine that it took you twelve months to design, produce and market a cute children's outfit under your brand name of Amotherolive. It's a hit and you're starting to sell well. Next thing you know, the market is flooded with Anotherolive merchandise that looks just like yours but is going for a fraction of what yours are going for. But you pay your people the prevailing wage for an 8-hour work day in an OSHA-compliant factory, while Anotherolive is paying people 25 cents a day to work 16 hours in an unheated barn, and charging them 10 cents a day "rent" for the privilege of sleeping under their sewing machine. Would you still say "why not?"?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:42 am
So I for one don't care about all that. I'm happy that my kids have cute stuff for a great price. And I'm obviously not the only one based on that 35 page Ali thread.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:43 am
zaq wrote:
because if it says "uggs" or it looks just like uggs and says "aggs" or "muggs", it is counterfeit and you are breaking the law.You are helping support criminals. You are helping support sweatshops. You are helping perpetuate human misery. You are also heping defraud legitimate designers who put their brains and other resources into creating something, only to see thieves steal their ideas.

Imagine that it took you twelve months to design, produce and market a cute children's outfit under your brand name of Amotherolive. It's a hit and you're starting to sell well. Next thing you know, the market is flooded with Anotherolive merchandise that looks just like yours but is going for a fraction of what yours are going for. But you pay your people the prevailing wage for an 8-hour work day in an OSHA-compliant factory, while Anotherolive is paying people 25 cents a day to work 16 hours in an unheated barn, and charging them 10 cents a day "rent" for the privilege of sleeping under their sewing machine. Would you still say "why not?"?

This is what happened to a frum women named Yonit who found a way to make a comfortable, natural looking, and affordable ponytail shaitel. Everyone and their mothers started selling "wunderwigs" and she took a real hit for it. You can go to Ali and find "wunderwigs" for sale, and even worse, other frum companies knocked off her original design.

puzzlepieces

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:56 am
watergirl wrote:
This is what happened to a frum women named Yonit who found a way to make a comfortable, natural looking, and affordable ponytail shaitel. Everyone and their mothers started selling "wunderwigs" and she took a real hit for it. You can go to Ali and find "wunderwigs" for sale, and even worse, other frum companies knocked off her original design.

The original still looks better than any knockoff btw

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:58 am
puzzlepieces wrote:
The original still looks better than any knockoff btw
that may be, but in the meantime she is suffering. Its genevah.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 12:03 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
So I for one don't care about all that. I'm happy that my kids have cute stuff for a great price. And I'm obviously not the only one based on that 35 page Ali thread.

You asked
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
So why not?

You got a few answers. I am a huge fan of Daas Torah. Knockoff/counterfeit goods fall under a few categories of gneiva. Please consider asking a rav who is knowledgeable on this topic if one may purchase blatant and complete knockoffs/counterfeit goods.

Esty 4

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 12:05 pm
what if you simply like spending less, and you don't necessarily care for brand name?

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 12:16 pm
Then you buy regular generic or garden-variety merchandise, not counterfeit “designer” goods.

DustyDiamonds

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 1:14 pm
I’ve stopped buying simple things on Amazon like makeup, and would rather pay a bit more at Sephora, since so many personal care things on Amazon are fake.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics