Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meatballs for Shabbos Lunch
1  2  Next

Raw

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 2:31 pm
Hi,

My kids want me to try and make meatballs for shabbos lunch in the crockpot. I'm nervous that I will make them and it will taste like burned tomato sauce and golf balls.
Does anyone make this successfully?
Can you please give me some tips, ie. how much water, what mince is best for the meatballs?

Thank you.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 2:40 pm
I have never done it successfully. They came out gross multiple times in a row and I gave up.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 4:20 pm
I did it a few weeks ago and it was fine. I put in baby potatoes as well, which in retrospect was a mistake. I didn't need them to absorb the tomato flavour, and would have preferred a more neutral accompaniment. Another time I might do rice and heat it up separately.

I think I used ground chicken, but I don't remember for sure. I just used my normal meatball recipe - or method, since there isn't really a specific recipe. The sauce was maybe a bit more liquid than normal.

I cooked them on high for a few hours before Shabbos, then topped up the water and turned it down to low just before candle lighting.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 4:32 pm
They have an overcooked taste.

mamaleh

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 4:32 pm
Every time I’ve tried it, they were very dry (and mine are usually really moist).

agreer

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 4:57 pm
I've never tried it, but it sounds like the meatballs are more of the problem than the sauce.

Would it work to cook them as usual, then put the sauce in a crock pot (maybe with extra water) and let that cook overnight, then Shabbos day warm up the meatballs on top of the crockpot and add it back into the sauce at lunch time?

shanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 5:01 pm
I’m not so sure that would be ok halachically. I don’t think so.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 5:11 pm
shanarishona wrote:
I’m not so sure that would be ok halachically. I don’t think so.

I can see the bishul question.
The question is if one takes the crock pot off the base and then uses a ladle that is not left in the pot to scoop the sauce into a bowl, wouldn't that be a kli shlishi.

Then if you want to wait a bit for the sauce to cool down (is that even necessary now we are in a kli shlishi) , then add the dry-heated meatballs to it, do you see any halachic problem?

How is it different than adding crouton to soup?

Raw

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 5:54 pm
Thanks everyone for chiming in. It sounds like they're going to be a big fail but my kids want me to at least try.

I find Shabbos lunch in winter so frustrating. We want something warm but are not cholent eaters. I sometimes make ra_mom's rice/meat stew, which is good, but it's tiring to make and eat every single week.

I wish I had other crock pot options that tasted good for lunch.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 5:58 pm
What about a shredded potato stew (yapsuk)?
Or a vacuum packed sealed bag with a pastrami roast that cooks in the crockpot filled with water.
Some people said that the meatballs came out good in the rice stew, though I haven't tried it.
A boiling hot soup turned to keep warm before shabbos (if you know your crockpot keeps the food warm at a safe temperature).

Raw

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What about a shredded potato stew (yapsuk)?
Or a vacuum packed sealed bag with a pastrami roast that cooks in the crockpot filled with water.
Some people said that the meatballs came out good in the rice stew, though I haven't tried it.
A boiling hot soup turned to keep warm before shabbos (if you know your crockpot keeps the food warm at a safe temperature).

Thanks for these ideas.

Does the pastrami roast need to be cooked in a sealed bag (I am not big on cooking in plastic bags)?

I like the soup idea - I have a plain old-school crockpot with high/low/warm function. I can try the warm function for a soup.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:09 pm
Raw wrote:
Thanks for these ideas.

Does the pastrami roast need to be cooked in a sealed bag (I am not big on cooking in plastic bags)?

I like the soup idea - I have a plain old-school crockpot with high/low/warm function. I can try the warm function for a soup.

Yes to the pastrami. Otherwise it will also taste like cholent.
Try the warm function tonight, to test out if it works well, before you do this for shabbos. Make sure the food doesn't spoil overnight.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:10 pm
I haven't tried it myself but I saw a tip to make the meatballs and freeze them in a single layer and add them to the sauce frozen so they take longer to cook in the crockpot.

For what it's worth, we're not big on chulent either and I make a soup in the crockpot every week. You can find my tried and true recipes here if you're interested: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04082

shirachadasha

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:50 pm
What about chow mein?

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 7:14 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
I can see the bishul question.
The question is if one takes the crock pot off the base and then uses a ladle that is not left in the pot to scoop the sauce into a bowl, wouldn't that be a kli shlishi.

Then if you want to wait a bit for the sauce to cool down (is that even necessary now we are in a kli shlishi) , then add the dry-heated meatballs to it, do you see any halachic problem?

How is it different than adding crouton to soup?

I don't see any question at all. The meatballs are already cooked, and there is no issue to put the hot liquid onto them while serving. And warming them up dry on top of the crockpot is not an issue because that's not a cooking method in the first place, just a warming. What am I missing?

It is different than croutons because many croutons are baked, not cooked, and therefore adding very hot liquid would cook them. The meatballs are already cooked so they don't have that issue at all.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 7:32 pm
seeker wrote:
I don't see any question at all. The meatballs are already cooked, and there is no issue to put the hot liquid onto them while serving. And warming them up dry on top of the crockpot is not an issue because that's not a cooking method in the first place, just a warming. What am I missing?

It is different than croutons because many croutons are baked, not cooked, and therefore adding very hot liquid would cook them. The meatballs are already cooked so they don't have that issue at all.

I shouldnt have said croutons, but in general ain bishul achar bishul so I really think that with careful thinking that heating up plain unsauced meatballs and then having a sauce in a crockpot would work. I have never actually done this so I was thinking it out as I was typing.

torquoise

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 7:36 pm
I have cooked meatballs in a crock pot overnight for pesach, and they came out delicious. I used Naomi Nachmans Pastrami meatballs recipe from Perfect for Pesach.
Do you want me to post it?
It involves shredding pastrami, so you would need a fleishig shredder or food processor.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:47 pm
Make the meatballs before Shabbat. Pour on top of rice with minimal sauce and heat on hot plate.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:48 pm
Shredded beef or lamb stew or chicken legs with sweet potatoes all work in the slow cooker

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:36 pm
I make meatballs frequently for Shabbos day, since I make the worst cholent in recorded history.

I usually cook them completely, add the marinara sauce, and set the crock pot on "keep warm." Perfect every time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics