Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Are vacations a worthy expense?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 3:00 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Does going to a bungalow colony count?

As a kid, my family did not "vacation". We went to bungalow colonies.

Our trips were to a bowling alley or paddleboating.

But I have great memories.

We also did Day Trips on Chol HaMoed to amusement parks, concerts, aquarium.

And movies back when there were plenty of G-rated ones.

Of course it counts! Any break from routine, going away and having a fun family time is game!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 3:22 pm
justforfun87- it's not a particular place necessarily but rather all going someplace together that's different then where you are. personally we love when there are nature guides but those are harder to come by nowadays.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 5:17 pm
All adventures count!
We all have fond memories of going into NYC one day so the girls could go the American Girl Place, a store, not to buy anything but to hug their mini dolls while looking at the fun displays.
My son's fun that day was spending time with his father going up and down the escalators umpteen times while I took the girls around.

We went to many other far-away and expensive vacations, but even free ones like this are looked back upon fondly.

BrachaBatya

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 5:42 pm
Totally worth it.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:02 pm
We go on very modest vacations but we still go. My children talk about each trip with such joy. It is worth every penny.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:28 pm
We live very modestly, and like a previous poster said I would rather spend on vacation then buy expensive winter clothing. You really cannot put a price tag on the memories. My children look forward all year to our 3 day getaway. I look for inexpensive flights and hotels. The $1,500 ( apx) we spend, is money well spent.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:35 pm
I don’t and it’s not because of money. Vacations exhaust me. I need my routine and my own bed and so do my kids.

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 7:06 pm
So worthwhile!
So important for the whole family. The switch off is really important for my husbands mental health. And I really appreciate the change of scenery.
Being able to just spend time as a family without distraction is super important to us, and we all gain.

In 16 years there have been a couple of times that we saved up and flew somewhere (using points as well) but mostly we stay pretty local, keeping the expenses down.

We find an Airbnb within an hour or two drive and find things to do in the area. Mixing it up between nature walks and parks, and paid activities, but even those are often pretty simple, berry picking, trampolining, bowling etc

We try to find houses that have a fireplace or fire pit outside and we love making fires with hot cocoa and marshmallows Smile

DrMom

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:20 am
Absolutely. We love travel and adventure. Total change of scenery, no worries about work or school, just focusing on having fun. Great memories.

Our vacations aren't opulent extravaganzas. We rent AirBnbs and do a lot of free outdoor activities and sightseeing. I like to include some educational/historical components as well.

Last edited by DrMom on Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:23 am
I think getting away from routine as a family is important.it doesn’t have to be expensive or include flying.
Just wholesome family memories.

Mayflower

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:28 am
Another YES. For our family, we spend time together in a different way when we are on vacation...

We always go away during the summer for about two weeks and it's the highlight of the year. We also try to get away during the winter break for a few days. The change of scenery just charges everyone's mental batteries.

We keep things simple by going to cheaper Airbnb's... but I do have to be honest: somehow we always end up spending more than we anticipated. Tickets to museums / landmarks, restaurants, a drink here and there all add up. Somehow you just spend money more easily when you're away from home. It's part of the carefree feeling you get. Still, it's sooo worth it.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:46 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
We go on very modest vacations but we still go. My children talk about each trip with such joy. It is worth every penny.

And our trips cost very little. We don't fly. We drive places. We bring our own food, we rent modest accommodations. We have a blast.

Often we rent cabins on fun campgrounds with tons of activities or we stay in an air b and b in a busy city and take day trips etc

For 4 days we can get a house or cabin for about 700 and then spend about 500 on activities. It's very reasonable and we have a blast.

We bbq, make campfires, swim, fish, hike, go boating, play games, watch family movies, etc

In the cities we visit museums, children's centers, nice parks, famous places etc. Usually most of those things are reasonably priced.

It doesn't have to be a trip to Disney world to be fun.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:44 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Yes absolutely!! You create memories, have fun, have bonding experiences, plus it's so good to go to a different place, see different sites,relax from every day life totally worth it! I rather not buy clothes for myself the entire year and take a family vacation!

this! I go without a lot of what other ppl may see as necessities bec vacations are a huge priority to me. To me vacations are top priority for my mental health (even if kids will be kids on the trip and argue- I just need change of scenery) and I really feel like the memories of vacation are important to every family member. Kids are only kids for a little bit and I really enjoy seeing my kids enjoy the vacations we go on. Everyone has to do what works for them, and I never once felt guilty about money spent on vacation.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics