Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meatballs for Shabbos Lunch
Previous  1  2

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:40 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
I shouldnt have said croutons, but in general ain bishul achar bishul so I really think that with careful thinking that heating up plain unsauced meatballs and then having a sauce in a crockpot would work. I have never actually done this so I was thinking it out as I was typing.

I think it works as well, but I think you'd add the sauce to the meatballs, not the meatballs to the sauce.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:32 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I think it works as well, but I think you'd add the sauce to the meatballs, not the meatballs to the sauce.

The sauce would already be in a kli shlishi.

thepickled

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:40 pm
Raw wrote:
Thanks everyone for chiming in. It sounds like they're going to be a big fail but my kids want me to at least try.

I find Shabbos lunch in winter so frustrating. We want something warm but are not cholent eaters. I sometimes make ra_mom's rice/meat stew, which is good, but it's tiring to make and eat every single week.

I wish I had other crock pot options that tasted good for lunch.

Same. I started making curries with sweet potato, squash, chickpeas or lentils. I cook fully before Shabbos then leave on keep warm. I make a pot of basmati rice which I leave out (sealed) overnight so it doesn’t dry out, and I serve them together.

heidi

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 5:55 am
I put all the sauce ingredients and raw meatballs in crockpot on low and plug it in the minute before shabbat starts. Comes out great

Raw

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 7:57 am
Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I’m going to try put them in raw right before candle lighting. I will post back here if it was a success/failure.

agreer

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:33 pm
seeker wrote:
I don't see any question at all. The meatballs are already cooked, and there is no issue to put the hot liquid onto them while serving. And warming them up dry on top of the crockpot is not an issue because that's not a cooking method in the first place, just a warming. What am I missing?

It is different than croutons because many croutons are baked, not cooked, and therefore adding very hot liquid would cook them. The meatballs are already cooked so they don't have that issue at all.

Actually, this is only true for croutons you KNOW were baked.

The yellow soup croutons (tiny squares) are boiled...in oil! There's no bishul problem adding them to soup!

Thus, there's no bishul problem adding the meatballs to a sauce (once it's out of the crockpot) as they have already been boiled in that same sauce.

however - check with your rav to make sure.

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:36 pm
agreer wrote:
Actually, this is only true for croutons you KNOW were baked.

The yellow soup croutons (tiny squares) are boiled...in oil! There's no bishul problem adding them to soup!

Thus, there's no bishul problem adding the meatballs to a sauce (once it's out of the crockpot) as they have already been boiled in that same sauce.

however - check with your rav to make sure.

And I thought I remember learning in seminary that the shkadei marak were fried!
editing--now I see you wrote boiled in oil--which I guess is fried.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:46 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
I can see the bishul question.
The question is if one takes the crock pot off the base and then uses a ladle that is not left in the pot to scoop the sauce into a bowl, wouldn't that be a kli shlishi.

Then if you want to wait a bit for the sauce to cool down (is that even necessary now we are in a kli shlishi) , then add the dry-heated meatballs to it, do you see any halachic problem?

How is it different than adding crouton to soup?

The Mishna Brura brings down a number of opinions that a ladle is called irui cli sheni, not cli shlishi

The velt is nohig to be machmir, according to my husb

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:51 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
The Mishna Brura brings down a number of opinions that a ladle is called irui cli sheni, not cli shlishi

The velt is nohig to be machmir, according to my husb

I am aware of the concept of irui.
Less familiar with the velt.
Can always use ladle to transfer to serving bowl (for sure the sheni). Then to clean and empty plate.(for sure a kli shlishi).

chaya678

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:02 pm
I actually am trying for the first time this week as well. I’m putting them in raw right before shabbos. Putting a bit of extra water in the sauce. I saw someone posted about cooking before and pressing keep warm.. does it keep them hot enough?

geemum

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 2:04 pm
I thought food had to be 1/3 cooked before shabbos. How can you put them in raw just before?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 6:17 pm
geemum wrote:
I thought food had to be 1/3 cooked before shabbos. How can you put them in raw just before?

2/3rds cooked OR completely raw.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics