Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Are Israeli washing machines smaller than US?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 7:07 pm
by how much?

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:45 pm
The sizes vary. You can buy as large as you like. I've seen up to 14 kilo and as small as 5 kilo.

juggling

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 9:44 pm
The standard size is smaller, but bigger machines exist. Also, even larger ones tend to take up less space than the front-loaders I remember from the US, due to the way they are built. It's also not easy to compare machines, since the US measures by volume and israeli machines are measured by how much weight they hold in laundry. Bottom line, the machines are quite different. If you're trying to decide whether to buy a machine or bring one on a lift there are many factors to consider. Personally, we brought a machine from the US, used it happily until it died, replaced it with a German Bosch machine, and I am equally happy with that one. I'm happy to elaborate on the pros and cons, if you'd like.

etky

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:51 pm
juggling wrote:
The standard size is smaller, but bigger machines exist. Also, even larger ones tend to take up less space than the front-loaders I remember from the US, due to the way they are built. It's also not easy to compare machines, since the US measures by volume and israeli machines are measured by how much weight they hold in laundry. Bottom line, the machines are quite different. If you're trying to decide whether to buy a machine or bring one on a lift there are many factors to consider. Personally, we brought a machine from the US, used it happily until it died, replaced it with a German Bosch machine, and I am equally happy with that one. I'm happy to elaborate on the pros and cons, if you'd like.

We're on the way to doing exactly that too.
Our gas Maytag dryer died a few years ago and we're happy with the Bosch that we replaced it with.
Our washer just turned 30 and has had a leak for the past few years (can't be fixed) that is getting worse. We will probably replace it with a 9 or 10 kilo Bosch which is the equivalent of our 'large capacity' Maytag. American machines labelled extra-large capacity are the equivalent of about 12 kilo.

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:14 am
etky wrote:
We're on the way to doing exactly that too.
Our gas Maytag dryer died a few years ago and we're happy with the Bosch that we replaced it with.
Our washer just turned 30 and has had a leak for the past few years (can't be fixed) that is getting worse. We will probably replace it with a 9 or 10 kilo Bosch which is the equivalent of our 'large capacity' Maytag. American machines labelled extra-large capacity are the equivalent of about 12 kilo.

I'm not sure how long you have been living in Israel but most frum families in the US have at least an x-large capacity washing machine.

I bought a 9 kilo Bosch washing machine. It is much smaller than the plain no frills Kenmore I left behind. I want to stress I had an old machine in the US that came with my house. My siblings that bought brand new had much bigger washing machines than me.

I can fit 1/2 to 3/4 of the amount I used to. The store I went to only had Bosch brand until 9 kilos. The larger ones were cheap Chinese products that I wasn't interested in.

For example, I can wash 4 large bath towels at a time. In the US, I didn't count but I filled my laundry basket. Here I can just squeeze in 1 quilt. In the US I could wash two together.

I have made a system that works. Every bedroom has their own hamper. I don't mix. I wash each room's laundry by itself, except for whites. It makes it much easier to put away. The loads are smaller so less overwhelming. Takes really fast to put away the laundry.

In short, you will be shocked at the size of your washing machine, dryer and stove. They are all much much smaller than you are used to. But then you get used to it and realize you don't need them to be so big. I find so far that things are designed well to optimize the space.

Hatzlacha!

etky

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:29 am
Reality wrote:
I'm not sure how long you have been living in Israel but most frum families in the US have at least an x-large capacity washing machine.

I bought a 9 kilo Bosch washing machine. It is much smaller than the plain no frills Kenmore I left behind. I want to stress I had an old machine in the US that came with my house. My siblings that bought brand new had much bigger washing machines than me.

I can fit 1/2 to 3/4 of the amount I used to. The store I went to only had Bosch brand until 9 kilos. The larger ones were cheap Chinese products that I wasn't interested in.

For example, I can wash 4 large bath towels at a time. In the US, I didn't count but I filled my laundry basket. Here I can just squeeze in 1 quilt. In the US I could wash two together.

I have made a system that works. Every bedroom has their own hamper. I don't mix. I wash each room's laundry by itself, except for whites. It makes it much easier to put away. The loads are smaller so less overwhelming. Takes really fast to put away the laundry.

In short, you will be shocked at the size of your washing machine, dryer and stove. They are all much much smaller than you are used to. But then you get used to it and realize you don't need them to be so big. I find so far that things are designed well to optimize the space.

Hatzlacha!

So, there are 12 kilo LG machines available. I think it's Korean? In any case it's considered a pretty good brand and we know people who have LG and are very happy with them.

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:36 am
etky wrote:
So, there are 12 kilo LG machines available. I think it's Korean? In any case it's considered a pretty good brand and we know people who have LG and are very happy with them.

Interesting. I will store that info away! Thanks!

As it is my British and more Israeli neighbors are shocked I have such a big washing machine. They see no reason to have larger than 7 kilos and they have more kids than I do! I don't know how they manage.

etky

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:46 am
Reality wrote:
Interesting. I will store that info away! Thanks!

As it is my British and more Israeli neighbors are shocked I have such a big washing machine. They see no reason to have larger than 7 kilos and they have more kids than I do! I don't know how they manage.

Until recently 7 kilo was the average size machine here and people just got used to doing laundry in small loads, every day, all through the day (and night). 8 kilo was considered a really large washer.
The larger machines - 9 kilo and up are pretty recent entries to the market here (the last ten years or so).
And to this day there are people who don't have dryers. Some don't have room and others just prefer or are accustomed to hanging out the laundry.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:51 am
I have an 8 kilo machine I believe. It's more than enough. I have 5 or 6 hampers outside the laundry area and everyone separates their colors/delicates on their own. What would I do with a larger machine? By the time everything is separated, it fits fine in the machine.

I don't wash quilts (what are they anyway? If you mean down or fake down blankets, I don't wash them, they are always covered with a duvet cover. If you mean a fuzzy blanket, those I wash).

Back in the day when all the kids still lived at home full time, I could do three loads a day, every day. But I prefer it that way, with all the laundry separated.

I do know some people that have two laundry machines and two dryers (one set in the house, one one the porch or whatever).

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:55 am
Many laundry rooms wont have space for the big american machines.
Ive always had a 7 kilo washing machine. I wash everything in their. Even blankets, and even the big poofy winter ones. I just fit one or two in at a time. No big deal. Ive been here 19 years. Im beyond used to it by now.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 1:57 am
When we first made aliyah we got a 10 kilo machine. I was doing laundry all day every day. I replaced it with a 17kg and it changed my life. It was also impossible to wash quilts in the 10 kilo.

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 2:13 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
When we first made aliyah we got a 10 kilo machine. I was doing laundry all day every day. I replaced it with a 17kg and it changed my life. It was also impossible to wash quilts in the 10 kilo.

17?????? Where did you buy that?

etky

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 2:32 am
essie14 wrote:

Sound like an industrial size maybe.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 2:44 am
Idk. Our double quilt doesn't fit into our washing machine. I think we have a 7 kilo one. I've had to bring it to family or friends to wash it since we got married.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 2:56 am
essie14 wrote:

Elon, Mr. Electric. We go to him for everything. It's not industrial. Looks very similar in size to our old American one. It could eat our Israeli one though.

etky

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 2:59 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Idk. Our double quilt doesn't fit into our washing machine. I think we have a 7 kilo one. I've had to bring it to family or friends to wash it since we got married.

Ours just fits into our 9 kilo Maytag.

etky

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:00 am
Elon, Mr. Electric. We go to him for everything. It's not industrial. Looks very similar in size to our old American one. It could eat our Israeli one though.

What brand is it?

juggling

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:02 am
LovesHashem wrote:

I don't have a double quilt. In any case, if you wash winter blankets once or twice a year, that's what industrial laundromats are for. I avoid washing some of our blankets, not because I can't fit them in to my 8 kilo washer, but because I don't think it's good for them. I bring them to the dry cleaner's when they need washing.

juggling

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:07 am

How many people live in your house? Are you washing heavy sweatshirts, etc.? I have up to 7 people in the house. I sort my laundry. Certain colors (blacks) I need to do two or three full loads of in a week. I wash laundry often to keep it from piling up. But most of the loads I do are half full.

When I wash sheets I can do about 3 beds' worth at a time.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 3:18 am
I have an eight kg machine, and I that it’s enough usually. I have a friend with ten kids who has two machines.

Last edited by chanchy123 on Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions