Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Thinking of my future Aliyah plans; need advice
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:30 pm
DH and I would love to make aliyah within a few years . We are both from very American backgrounds , daven in RW shul , DH learns every minute that he can spare. Getting close to retirement age but not there yet. No kids at home . We would like to be in a like-minded neighborhood but would not mind if there was a mix, perhaps with some young Israel type of people and would be open to living in a neighborhood that is not fully religious as well. Would love an apartment on a low floor, with stores and restaurants/cafés, with reliable hechsherim nearby. We plan to go to Israel later on in the month and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about what neighborhoods we should visit to start looking around. We would love to stay in Yerushalayim but don’t need to be walking distance to the Kotel.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:56 pm
Following

We're a bit younger but looking for a similar style RW shul mixed (all types) community ...
Still thinking of schools for the kids as well

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:54 pm
Good morning Israel Imas
bump for some answers and ideas

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 12:24 am
First, just wanted to say how wonderful that you're planning to come!

Much depends on your budget. If you can afford Rechavia/ Shaarei Chessed in Jerusalem, that would be a natural fit with all the amenities.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 12:44 am
I was also going to suggest Rehavia.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 12:46 am
DrMom wrote:
I was also going to suggest Rehavia.

Me too

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 5:23 am
Har nof has plenty in your age bracket who are mostly anglo. The younger ones are more Israeli.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:08 am
Thank you for those suggestions !
Is there a neighborhood called Ramat
Rachel ? Can anyone tell me about that… Also what about neighborhoods like German colony, French Hill, and Baka? Are any of those a good fit?

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for those suggestions !
Is there a neighborhood called Ramat
Rachel ? Can anyone tell me about that… Also what about neighborhoods like German colony, French Hill, and Baka? Are any of those a good fit?

I only know kibbutz Ramat Rachel. It's right near Arnona, which is a lovely neighborhood, with a lot of Anglos moving in recently. I believe it tends to an MO crowd.

The German Colony and Baka are both upscale neighborhoods, very mixed, with lots of Anglos. Again, fewer black hats than kippot srugot, if that matters to you. Lots of restaurants and cultural activities. Like Arnona, it's close to the center of town (especially by bus) and walkable to the Old City for very good walkers.

French Hill has more Charedim, and a quieter feel. It's closer to Arab neighborhoods. Certainly less expensive than the other neighborhoods, but nothing in Jerusalem is cheap.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:18 am
Ramat Rachel, German Colony and Baka are not right wing. I don't know if your husband wears a black hat but if he does, he will likely be the only one in shul with one.

French Hill would be good if you're ok living in a very mixed community - frum, non-frum and many Arabs nearby/playing in the parks in the neighborhood.

I have heard that there are areas in Katamon that might be good for you, but I'm not very familiar with it.

Of course, there is always RBS which has exactly your type but is out of Yerushalayim.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 8:21 am
Ty for these replies. I’d love to hear all thoughts opinions and ideas. I love EY so much , even talking about it makes my day!

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:39 am
Ramat Shlomo might also be a possibility

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:23 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Ramat Shlomo might also be a possibility

Tysm for your reply Can you (or anyone else ) expand on that ? Is that in Yerushalayim itself?

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tysm for your reply Can you (or anyone else ) expand on that ? Is that in Yerushalayim itself?

It's part of Yerushalayim for things like taxes, elections but it's a bit further out, technically over the green line. I pass it all the time driving from Begin to French Hill

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:21 am
Bump
A good Erev Shabbos in Eretz Yisrael
Please weigh in if you have a few minutes !

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 5:42 am
Re Rechavia and those areas I don't know know what you consider "reliable hechsheirim" my friend (young family) lives there and has a hard time finding things sometimes. (They do have some eateries that are great hechsheirim, but groceries etc may be a challenge)

grace413

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:17 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
It's part of Yerushalayim for things like taxes, elections but it's a bit further out, technically over the green line. I pass it all the time driving from Begin to French Hill

French Hill is also over the green line. So are Ramot, Gilo, Armon Hanatziv, Har Homa, Ramat Eshcol, Maalot Dafna, Sanhedria Murchevet, Neve Yaakov.

Ramat Shlomo is very charedi.
Har Homa might be worth checking out although I'm not sure if there are many people in their 50's.
Rechavia/Shaarei Chesed is lovely but very expensive.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:25 am
You might also like Ramot, which is also not in the center of yerushalayim but depends on the specific area, You’ll have a lot of Anglos your age with a spectrum of DL And black hats - there is a small mall with a few eateries.

sara_s

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 7:43 am
chanchy123 wrote:
You might also like Ramot, which is also not in the center of yerushalayim but depends on the specific area, You’ll have a lot of Anglos your age with a spectrum of DL And black hats - there is a small mall with a few eateries.

I also wanted to suggest Ramot. There is an anglo dati leumi community in Ramot Bet, with many in their 50s now. Ramot Aleph and Gimmel are more chareidi Israeli.

The Ramot mall is nearby with lots of stores and some cafes.

Dolly151

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 2:30 pm
Another vote for ramot. It's beautiful with a suburb feel...ish.
Lots of Americans there and it's very mixed in terms of hashkafa. Ramat shlomo is very chareidi where as arnona talpiyot is very MO. Ramot has that American feel of being all different types and still living next door to each other. They also have houses there so you wouldnt have to downsize to an apartment.
Much luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions