Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When did it get to be SO hard to get your daughter into camp
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 6:03 pm
I wonder if maybe Agudah Toronto has space this year. They didn't operate for 2 summers and a lot of their campers went to other camps so they may have fewer returning campers.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 6:27 pm
I think camp Palgai may still be taking

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:04 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
What more do you get for your $ than at the more right-wing camps? Meaning - I understand why MO schools are more expensive, because you generally get more educated and licensed teachers, better facilities, labs, computers, etc. But when it comes to camp, is there something MO camps offer more than BY camps that explains the additional cost?

Better/more expensive activities and facilities. Check out moshava etc’s websites and you’ll get the answer to your question

sweet

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 8:10 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I think camp Palgai may still be taking

Yes. My daughter got in last year in may..
After being on the waitlist for first half.

brbs

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:01 am
My daughter got waitlisted for MTM and Agudah Midwest and we applied the day applications opened.

She’s devastated and now we’re trying to come up with other options.

We are out of town BY and not looking to send her to camp with all NY but not Maayan Midwest..

She’s my first to want to go to camp so I have never been through this before.

Anyone know any options that are not in the Catskills/Poconos area??

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:14 am
My daughter was waitlisted last year (also first day application) and I had our shul rav help influence the Agudah office and make sure any openings at the camp they didn't forget about us. It was a need for her to go, not a luxury....BH they found a mother's helper job for her eventually and that gave her priority status as a camper for this year.
You can try exploring that route.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:42 am
What is it like to be a mothers helper at the Aguda camps? Do the girls enjoy/have fun? Do they get paid anything/do we have to pay for the "privilege"?

My daughter worked so hard to make money all year to be able to pay her way to go to camp. And her plan was to make more money this summer to pay for camp next year. I hate the idea of her having to work at camp as well. But maybe she would if she knew that it's her ticket into camp next year. Are they with the kids all day or are there activities and socializing for mother's helpers?

We are trying to use pull to get in as well, though that's such a yucky feeling.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 4:43 am
sweet wrote:
Yes. My daughter got in last year in may..
After being on the waitlist for first half.

What is Palgai like? What kind of girls is it meant for?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:38 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
What is Palgai like? What kind of girls is it meant for?

Palgai is an amazing Bais Yaakov camp. The girls there are good, solid, growing girls. The atmosphere is homey and family-like. No focus on external pressures really. The staff leans towards heimish, though not everyone. The girls are not necessarily heimish and come from all over. It’s a newish camp, this will be their third summer.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:45 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
What is it like to be a mothers helper at the Aguda camps? Do the girls enjoy/have fun? Do they get paid anything/do we have to pay for the "privilege"?

My daughter worked so hard to make money all year to be able to pay her way to go to camp. And her plan was to make more money this summer to pay for camp next year. I hate the idea of her having to work at camp as well. But maybe she would if she knew that it's her ticket into camp next year. Are they with the kids all day or are there activities and socializing for mother's helpers?

We are trying to use pull to get in as well, though that's such a yucky feeling.

It's a great option. You pay $650 but your daughter gets some tips. But.... They help about 4-5 hours a day (every girl has a different schedule depending on the needs of the particular family that they help) and get to participate in camp activities for the rest. My daughter had so much fun when she was a MH. They sleep in a bunk house with a regular bunk their age, eat 2/3 meals with the bunk, do most of the daily activities with the bunk, all night activities and trips and made amazing so friends.

Your daughter can save the money she earned this year to help pay when hopefully she gets a regular camper spot next year. 650 is less than what you'd pay to a regular day camp and it's much more fun.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 3:25 pm
What Camellia said!

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:16 pm
Any camps sending answers yet for new applicants?

Good luck to all of us.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:31 pm
got waitlisted for brc even though I sent my older daughter there last year! anyone else?

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 10:35 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
got waitlisted for brc even though I sent my older daughter there last year! anyone else?

Wow that's tough!! Wait listed too...first time applicant.
Sad

amother
Snapdragon

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 5:02 am

Wow! That’s crazy.
I also got waitlisted. Was wondering if I should have someone call foe me.
For that mean they filled up with just siblings and had too many.
(Did they realize your daughter was a sibling?)

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:26 am
Just curious because we also didn’t get into our first choice and none of the new campers I know got in either - are there more applicants than usual this year? I’ve been hearing the same issue from everyone I know.

We’re sending to Maayan Midwest at the end and are very excited! I think it will iyh be a great experience for my daughter.

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:53 am

What's brc?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:59 am

Hang on, who got waitlisted? Your daughter that went last year, or the next daughter?

But man, that's nuts!

I sent my two older girls to CBY years ago when it was very chilled, you could practically register after Pesach. I woke up too late last year and got waitlisted with my DD, but they accepted her in the end (in June! Someone had backed out). They told me that on the waitlist I will have Kadima over new applicants, since I was a prior parent.

I guess we need some new camps!

amother
Snapdragon

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 7:23 am
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
What's brc?

Bnos Ruach Chaim
Yeshivish no frills camp that is less expensive.
Girls first half.
Boys second half

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 7:38 am
Bnos seems to have some room left. We applied recently and got in for second half.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics