Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to help dd who didn't get into high school as a sibling

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:39 pm
As a sibling?

She applied to three schools, the only ones that fit her. Two, she knew were long shots because they had a ton of siblings applying and she isn't one. The other was also competitive, but she is a sibling, one of only two from her current school applying. They took the other girl and two non-siblings but not her. And she didn't get into the other schools either. And other siblings who didn't textbook fit their schools did get in.

She's on the waiting lists, but what now? I've talked to the high school principal and to her current principal, and we'll see. But I don't know how to help her not to feel so unwanted. And no, showering her with feeling wanted at home is not helping.

Chayalle

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 9:46 pm
That's a horrible travesty. The school should accept siblings, they should be responsible to parents who trusted them with their children..... Who are the Rabbanim and/or askanim in your community? Can they help?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 10:01 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That's a horrible travesty. The school should accept siblings, they should be responsible to parents who trusted them with their children..... Who are the Rabbanim and/or askanim in your community? Can they help?

The high school is in a different community. But a large percentage of the high schools people send to here are in a different community. How do I explain to dd? We don't want her mad at the school, especially if she gets in off the wait list and goes. And we need to help with her self esteem.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 1:20 am
Tell her Hashem has a different plan for her that will be revealed soon enough. I've heard again and again stories of people so disappointed not to get into the school of their choice and the school they got into was not exciting at all but in hindsight it worked out perfectly. Try to show that you aren't worried or upset. You will do your hishtadlus and make phonecalls etc. But you know it will work out in the best way in the end.
I understand she didn't get into any school but I assume she will and I hope she is pleasantly surprised when she acclimates
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics