Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Thinking of my future Aliyah plans; need advice
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 1:42 pm
https://www.komo.co.il/ This website is a priceless resource for finding places to rent or buy, and gives you a good idea of how much you can get for your money.

My totally free advice, is to start learning conversational Hebrew NOW, if you haven't already. It will put you miles ahead when it comes to adjusting to Israeli life. My biggest regret was thinking "I'll pick it all up in Ulpan."

Unless you are a language genius, it will take longer than you think before you feel even remotely fluent. That little head start will make you feel at home much faster, and you'll have a lot fewer headaches.

Israelis are wonderful people. If you completely mangle the language, they will think "Oh bless her, she really is trying." Once they see you making an effort, they will do pretty much anything to help you.

On the other hand, once they realize you are Anglo, they may insist on practicing their English with you, when you really want to practice your Ivrit with them! LOL

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 3:50 pm
Thank you so much for that advice . I’m quite fluent including street slang. My ulpan has
been all the taxi drivers I’ve spoken to over the last 20 years. Dh on the other hand….

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:49 am
Can someone please elaborate about Ramat Shlomo?
Also how much should I expect to pay for a three bedroom apartment in various neighborhoods ?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also how much should I expect to pay for a three bedroom apartment in various neighborhoods ?

I don't live in those areas, but are you looking to buy or rent?

Also, 3 bedrooms or 3 rooms? FYI: Israeli real estate listings will count living rooms as a room, so in general, if you need 3 bedrooms, you will want to look for a listing for a 4-room apartment.

Dolly151

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:17 am
In the new buildings in Ramat shlomo, you can get a 3 bedroom for like 5500/6000 nis

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ramat Shlomo is nothing like you described your your desirable neighborhood, it is VERY chareidi, not very Anglo (there are Anglos of course but not sure about an Anglo community rug English shiurim etc) and I’m sure there are no coffee shops and the like. Also I guess not so many empty-nesters.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 6:39 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Ramat Shlomo is nothing like you described your your desirable neighborhood, it is VERY chareidi, not very Anglo (there are Anglos of course but not sure about an Anglo community rug English shiurim etc) and I’m sure there are no coffee shops and the like. Also I guess not so many empty-nesters.

Thank you for elaborating.
When I asked for the price of apartments I meant to buy and I didn’t mean a three bedroom. Are there any empty-nesters in Ramat Eshkol? How much are apartments there?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 6:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I asked for the price of apartments I meant to buy and I did mean a three bedroom. Are there any empty-nesters in Ramat Eshkol? How much are apartments there?

grace413

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:18 am
As you said you speak Hebrew, I suggest checking out yad2.co.il for apartment prices, both rentals and buying.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:27 am
grace413 wrote:
As you said you speak Hebrew, I suggest checking out yad2.co.il for apartment prices, both rentals and buying.

Wonderful ! Thanks for that info !

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:36 am
Can someone describe Kiryat Hayovel , Armon Hanatziv and Beit Hakerem please ?

Dolly151

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I asked for the price of apartments I meant to buy and I didn’t mean a three bedroom. Are there any empty-nesters in Ramat Eshkol? How much are apartments there?

There are very very few is any any empty nesters in Ramat eshkol. To buy a 2 bedroom is around 2.4 million nis give or take.
Check out ramot. It seems like it's what you are looking for

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone describe Kiryat Hayovel , Armon Hanatziv and Beit Hakerem please ?

Kiryat Yovel is mixed, there are many Chareidi and DL families, but also some of the original population which is secular/traditional, most of the housing is older. I’d imagine that the frum community is mostly families with kids. Armon Hanatziv is one of the more adorable neighborhoods, not very dati, I think a lot of Russian olim. Beit Hakerem is a secular upper class neighborhood that does have more frum people moving in, it’s ideal for empty nesters - great location (on the lite rail), some kosher coffee shops (not sure if the right hechsher for you) and close to Bayit Vegan on one side and Kiryat Moshe on the other, even though it’s generally secular, it might be a good fit for you (it’s very picturesque). Kiryat Moshe might also be an option, it’s chardal/chareidi.
I do think Ramot is exactly up your alley though.

salt

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:14 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Ramat Shlomo might also be a possibility

Ramat Shlomo is very mainstream Israeli charedi.
Not near any restaurants or stores (Except for maybe a pizza or felafel kiosk).

LisaS

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:36 am
Start with Ramot and Har Nof. See what the every-day looks like for other young empty-nesters in these neighborhoods. Coffee shops you'll have all over Jerusalem so worry more about what people you want to live next to.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:38 am
Ramot could work socially as there are a lot of RW English speakers. (The dati leumi population has been steadily leaving the neighborhood.) You can't walk to a cafe or restaurant, for the most part. It's pretty suburban. Not in the sense of houses with big yards (though there are some detached houses) but in the sense of being primarily residential. In that way, it's a bit like Har Nof, though Har Nof is a little more centrally located.

I would strongly suggest renting for a year or two before committing to a neighborhood.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions