Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Please help me with spaghetti squash!!

blueberrypie

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 11:16 pm
I just started making spaghetti squash. Sometimes I bake it and the squash tastes so sweet and other times it's very bland & tasteless and I need to add maple syrup for us to enjoy eating it. My problem is that I can't figure out how to pick the right squash in the store- I tried bright yellow, I tried a smaller size- nothing seems to make a difference-it seems very random, I would appreciate any advice!!

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:59 am
spaghetti squash mock Yerushalmi kugel

bake whole squash 15 minutes on 450.

Take out of oven and cut in half. Remove seeds.

Place cut side down and return to oven.

Bake another 20 minutes on 350.

in mixing bowl, mix 3 eggs, 1/3 c oil, 1/3-1/2 c sugar, 1 1/4 tsp salt, some black pepper.

Take out of oven and with fork - scrape into "spaghetti"

Add the "spaghetti" to the egg mixture.

Pour into kugel pan and bake 40 minutes.

Tasts like a Yerushalmi kugel - but without the carbs.

penguin

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 1:17 am
I treat it as spaghetti. Make a homemade tomato sauce with lots of onion, garlic, mushrooms, a little celery & carrots. Top with either cheese or meatballs.

blueberrypie

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:05 am
Thank you! I appreciate the recipes. I think I need to clarify my question though. I'm asking for advice on how to choose a good squash in the store, what to look for. I would like to be able to serve the squash baked, but with nothing added. Sometimes after I bake the squash, the spaghetti is naturally very sweet, and sometimes it has very little taste. I wish I knew how to choose the sweet ones in the store! I hope that's clearer! Thanks!

cbg

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:11 am
#BestBubby wrote:
spaghetti squash mock Yerushalmi kugel

bake whole squash 15 minutes on 450.

Take out of oven and cut in half. Remove seeds.

Place cut side down and return to oven.

Bake another 20 minutes on 350.

in mixing bowl, mix 3 eggs, 1/3 c oil, 1/3-1/2 c sugar, 1 1/4 tsp salt, some black pepper.

Take out of oven and with fork - scrape into "spaghetti"

Add the "spaghetti" to the egg mixture.

Pour into kugel pan and bake 40 minutes.

Tasts like a Yerushalmi kugel - but without the carbs.

You do know that sugar is carbs

SG18

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:58 am
I pour some olive oil on top and add rosemary or salt and pepper, works for any squash. Use a fork to shred and mix together.

emzod42

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 8:19 am
Could it be your cooking time? I find that when I overcook it, it gets mushy (and sweeter). We actually like it underdone.

blueberrypie

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:01 am
emzod42 wrote:
Could it be your cooking time? I find that when I overcook it, it gets mushy (and sweeter). We actually like it underdone.

Thank you, I tried that, it did get mushier but not really much sweeter, I've made 2 squashes at once & one was sweet while the other one wasn't...

skcomputer

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:27 pm
I find that small to medium size is better (get 2 if you need a lot) and also I find the darker yellow ones are better than that light yellow. This is just based on experience, not research.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:31 pm
cbg wrote:
You do know that sugar is carbs

Yes. But spaghetti squash is not.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:32 pm
Choose the one that is golden yellow or dark yellow color. It should feel heavier than it looks. No soft spots or cracks, it should have a stem (keeps out bacteria), which should ne firm and dry.

blueberrypie

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 12:58 pm
skcomputer wrote:
I find that small to medium size is better (get 2 if you need a lot) and also I find the darker yellow ones are better than that light yellow. This is just based on experience, not research.

I will try that again, but it sounds like you now what I'm talking about so I at least feel very validated and that I'm not the only one that tastes the difference, so thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes