Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Do you want to know when HS girls are cheating on your tests
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:05 pm
DD., in HS is going crazy. It bothers her that she sees people cheating on midterms. Shes sure. Does she keep her mouth closed? Risk becoming a snitch? It bothers her because she works so terribly hard and cant stand to see others getting away with murder...
Whats the verdict?

PS
Teachers, or the proctors you hire:

Please watch your classes while test taking. Do whatever you have to do to prevent this. Its not right.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:06 pm
I don’t understand why she cares so much.

The truth always comes out.

And no she shouldn’t snitch on anyone.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:13 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:

The truth does not always come out, at least in this world.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:15 pm

Nah. I cheated on soooo many tests in high school. No one ever found out....

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:18 pm

The reasons she cares are: first of all, because it is wrong. Second of all, because she spent many hours studying for the test. She worked very hard to earn her grade. It's very frustrating to see others getting a good grade without putting in the effort.

If I were the teacher, I probably would want to know so that I could put more precautions and proctoring in place.

Of course at the end of the day, there is an Eye watching and an Ear listening and people will be held responsible for their actions...

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:21 pm
I would work on her understanding that she needs to do the right thing and not be busy with what others are doing. This is a great opportunity to teach her this important life skill.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:22 pm
There’s also the aspect of teachers giving a curve. If ppl cheat, it ruins it for everyone else. I’ve been at the work hard end and had to do extra work for a class in college since most of the class was cheating and doing well.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:25 pm
So what? It’s not my job to stop the cheating. If a bas yisroel feels the need to cheat, and in HighSchool, that’s her choice and problem.
Maybe something is going on at home and she couldn’t study,
maybe she has overbearing parents who will yell at her if she fails,
Maybe she will collapse if she fails,
Maybe her image as a “ A” student simply cannot be tarnished,
Maybe she is someone who likes to cut corners,
Maybe she is a cheater or liar( I can’t and won’t believe this),so she will learn later in life that people catch on and don’t respect such persons.
Leave it alone.
And if a student is shvach in class but aces her test, you think a teacher doesn’t know she cheated?

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:28 pm
As a teacher I find it completely despicable that a student would cheat on an exam.
Even more despicable are parents who do not find this to be a major flaw in their child's character development.

amother
OP

amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
So what? It’s not my job to stop the cheating. If a bas yisroel feels the need to cheat, and in HighSchool, that’s her choice and problem.
Maybe something is going on at home and she couldn’t study,
maybe she has overbearing parents who will yell at her if she fails,
Maybe she will collapse if she fails,
Maybe her image as a “ A” student simply cannot be tarnished,
Maybe she is someone who likes to cut corners,
Maybe she is a cheater or liar( I can’t and won’t believe this),so she will learn later in life that people catch on and don’t respect such persons.
Leave it alone.

How low have we fallen.
I am shocked. Totally shocked, at your response

amother
OP

ValleyMom wrote:
As a teacher I find it completely despicable that a student would cheat on an exam.
Even more despicable are parents who do not find this to be a major flaw in their child's character development.

Thank you. At least one voice of sanity.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:29 pm
I'm a teacher and administrator. I craft exams that cannot be passed without a thorough understanding. I'm happy to give open textbook and notebook exams for this reason. Even during remote schooling with the entire internet at their fingertips, student exam marks reflected their genuine mathematical understanding.

So 2 thoughts: #1, the teachers need to up their assessment game, and #2, they also need to proctor better. The situation sounds like a lot of incompetence.

As for your dd, she can only be accountable for her own actions and therefore needs to learn to let go of the things that bother her but are out of her control.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:30 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I'm a teacher and administrator. I craft exams that cannot be passed without a thorough understanding. I'm happy to give open textbook and notebook exams for this reason. Even during remote schooling with the entire internet at their fingertips, student exam marks reflected their genuine mathematical understanding.

So 2 thoughts: #1, the teachers need to up their assessment game, and #2, they also need to proctor better.

As for your dd, she can only be accountable for her own actions and therefore needs to learn to let go of the things that bother her but are out of her control.

This. If a student is cheating successfully, it's a sign of a lazy teacher.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:36 pm
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
There’s also the aspect of teachers giving a curve. If ppl cheat, it ruins it for everyone else. I’ve been at the work hard end and had to do extra work for a class in college since most of the class was cheating and doing well.

Most teachers, IME, don't have formal curves. But if the whole class bombs a test or a section or question, the teacher will usually make it extra credit or something like that. If a few girls cheat and get it right, that doesn't happen.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How low have we fallen.
I am shocked. Totally shocked, at your response

Why are you shocked? Why is it my responsibility as a teacher to walk up and down a high school classroom full of yiddishe girls and assume that they will cheat? I don’t believe they will cheat and Itell them that I trust that a bas yisroel won’t cheat.
And a teen age girl should be responsible for her own actions.
Perhaps you as a parent need to reinforce your chinuch. After all children see and copy things at home.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:40 pm
I'm a teacher too, and I agree.
cheating is despicable.
And I tell that to my students. I'd rather then make mistakes

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:42 pm
I would be extremely upset if I knew classmates were cheating.

Most students receive some benefits from high grades and so if another students cheats, that students isn't just *cheated* out of something symbolic but what could be a substantial benefit.

Is this kind of shrugging of shoulders based on gender? Would people be equally lackadaisical if there were cheating among boys in high school?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:42 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
Why are you shocked? Why is it my responsibility as a teacher to walk up and down a high school classroom full of yiddishe girls and assume that they will cheat? I don’t believe they will cheat and Itell them that I trust that a bas yisroel won’t cheat.
And a teen age girl should be responsible for her own actions.
Perhaps you as a parent need to reinforce your chinuch. After all children see and copy things at home.

If you are trully a teacher, I shudder at the thought of my kids having you as a role model. You are clearly a fake, phony fraud, and should truly change positions ( if you are truly in chinuch).

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:43 pm
As a teacher we need to be held accountable for being alert and aware when proctoring an exam.

This is not the time for a teacher to be saying her daily tehillim or scrolling instagram.

Educators are PAID to be alert, aware and actively observing the class.

I find this entire thread bizarre- students are not being held accountable for their dishonesty, parents disregard their child's dishonesty, and teachers accused of being "lazy"... I am stunned.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you are trully a teacher, I shudder at the thought of my kids having you as a role model. You are clearly a fake, phony fraud, and should truly change positions ( if you are truly in chinuch).

oh goodness
is your daughter as uptight as u?
I agree with that teacher.

you think we dont know when B- student aces an exam out of nowhere?
she must have had reasons to cheat.

worry about your own daughter and ill deal with my classroom thanks
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics