Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Do you want to know when HS girls are cheating on your tests
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:46 pm
I'm an elementary school teacher.

I would appreciate if a girl came and told me that they have noticed girls are cheating on tests.
I don't think I'd want to hear names from them.
I just would want to be alerted to be on high alert, have partitions, emphasize emes more often.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:47 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
As a teacher we need to be held accountable for being alert and aware when proctoring an exam.

This is not the time for a teacher to be saying her daily tehillim or scrolling instagram.

Educators are PAID to be alert, aware and actively observing the class.

I find this entire thread bizarre- students are not being held accountable for their dishonesty, parents disregard their child's dishonesty, and teachers accused of being "lazy"... I am stunned.

This is exactly what I'm saying. If a teacher is alert and actively proctoring the class, then she's not being lazy and cheating is less likely to occur.

Lady A

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:48 pm
As a mother of a dd in high school, I would out the cheaters myself.
The poor little cheaters, their world is so much worse than the honest students! Really people?
Cheating is dishonesty and that goes against derech eretz and everything we stand for, at least I thought.

Rules for thee but not for me?

No, I am not happy with the responses of some of the imamothers. And honestly, it makes me wonder how much you respect your daughter’s teachers if you dismiss cheating so easily.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you are trully a teacher, I shudder at the thought of my kids having you as a role model. You are clearly a fake, phony fraud, and should truly change positions ( if you are truly in chinuch).

I shudder to think that you as a someone who is not a teacher has the nerve to tell teachers how and what to do. You dont begin to even know what teachers jobs entails. Did you read my first post?
Do you know how many parents pressure their kids? Or yell at teachers if their kids fail or get 1 point below 100?
Yes your average girl will NOT cheat.
Your daughter studied and worked hard and is understandably upset. But no-one likes a classmate who is a snitch. So she needs to leave it alone. She knows that her grade is honestly deserved. That’s all that she should care about.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:50 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
oh goodness
is your daughter as uptight as u?
I agree with that teacher.

you think we dont know when B- student aces an exam out of nowhere?
she must have had reasons to cheat.

worry about your own daughter and ill deal with my classroom thanks

Clearly, you arent doing a good job of worrying about your classroom, or situations such as these wouldn't occur.

Bh, I do worry about my daughter, ty for your concern though Banging head

Banging head

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:53 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
oh goodness
is your daughter as uptight as u?
I agree with that teacher.

you think we dont know when B- student aces an exam out of nowhere?
she must have had reasons to cheat.

worry about your own daughter and ill deal with my classroom thanks

Thank you. I was beginning to think I’m in some alternate universe

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:54 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
So what? It’s not my job to stop the cheating. If a bas yisroel feels the need to cheat, and in HighSchool, that’s her choice and problem.
Maybe something is going on at home and she couldn’t study,
maybe she has overbearing parents who will yell at her if she fails,
Maybe she will collapse if she fails,
Maybe her image as a “ A” student simply cannot be tarnished,
Maybe she is someone who likes to cut corners,
Maybe she is a cheater or liar( I can’t and won’t believe this),so she will learn later in life that people catch on and don’t respect such persons.
Leave it alone.
And if a student is shvach in class but aces her test, you think a teacher doesn’t know she cheated?

Would it be ok if an A student cheated his/her way to becoming valedictorian? Most students work their butt off for that, is it ok to get there by cheating, and leave all those other students in the dust?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:54 pm
I shudder to think that you as a someone who is not a teacher has the nerve to tell teachers how and what to do. You dont begin to even know what teachers jobs entails. Did you read my first post?
Do you know how many parents pressure their kids? Or yell at teachers if their kids fail or get 1 point below 100?
Your daughter studied and worked hard and is understandably upset. But no-one likes a classmate who is a snitch. So she needs to leave it alone. She knows that her grade is honestly deserved. That’s all that she should care about.

This comment makes sense if a teacher looks away for a specific student at a specific time. It does not make sense for it to be an overall policy.

FTR, if a teacher fosters an environment where cheating is easy, then she is creating an environment for the average student to cheat. Because if those students come out with easy As and get rewarded as per the school's academic policies, then many students will fall to the temptation.

The teacher's job is not to create an environment per those students who need exemptions. Their job is to create an environment that benefits majority, and figure out a way to help those who need special attention.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:55 pm
So what? It’s not my job to stop the cheating. If a bas yisroel feels the need to cheat, and in HighSchool, that’s her choice and problem.
Maybe she is a cheater or liar( I can’t and won’t believe this),so she will learn later in life that people catch on and don’t respect such persons.
Leave it alone.
And if a student is shvach in class but aces her test, you think a teacher doesn’t know she cheated?

So what? That cheater lied her way to higher grades, better transcripts than she deserves, and stole seminary spots that she is not entitled to. Other, honest girls are. Liars and cheats are not. Then in shidduchim, the liar can say she went to a top seminary which she may not have really qualified for.

So who cares? Ask the mothers here when their hard working and erlich girls don’t get in because others faked their way.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:56 pm

I remember in hs and college, I had friends that breezed their way through, by cheating.
No they didn’t come from dysfunctional homes that would beat them if they got a bad mark.
They wanted to take the east way out, and cheated only when it was a negligent teacher who they could get away with it by.
That saved them time to study for the classes they couldn’t cheat in.
I had more then one friend like that.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:58 pm

If a student cheats by every exam, you wouldn't have a baseline to compare it against.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:58 pm
Thank you. I was beginning to think I’m in some alternate universe

SINCE WHEN DOES HAVING REASONS TO CHEAT MAKING CHEATING OK???

According to that theory:

If you are poor , feel free to steal designer clothes for DD, well because she shouldn't feel out if place.

Lie on your taxes, because, well, you know, you really need that additional amount of refund, its ok

Cheat on your husband, because well, you know, he aint such a good husband anyway...and he didn't speak nicely to you last week...

Excuses, excuses...

Should I keep going?

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:59 pm
Im a teacher. I demand participation from my students during class. I ask questions of them during class periods. I give informal quizzes all the time. I give tests that demand complete knowledge of the material. Trust me, I notice if a student has cheated on her midterm. I may or may not confront said student at that moment, given the particular situation. But rest assured, it will be refected on her report card. Trust us teachers, we're not as oblivious as you think.

However, your daughter needs to learn to do her best and not be busy with what others are doing. That's a life skill that will serve her well.

And, you, as a parent, your responsibility is to teach your children to do the right thing. Stop worrying about other people's children

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:00 pm
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
I remember in hs and college, I had friends that breezed their way through, by cheating.
No they didn’t come from dysfunctional homes that would beat them if they got a bad mark.
They wanted to take the east way out, and cheated only when it was a negligent teacher who they could get away with it by.
That saved them time to study for the classes they couldn’t cheat in.
I had more then one friend like that.

That would be enough for me to "unfriend" them.
I couldn't possibly be friends with girls whom I think so little of.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:04 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Would it be ok if an A student cheated his/her way to becoming valedictorian? Most students work their butt off for that, is it ok to get there by cheating, and leave all those other students in the dust?

How does an A student cheat to valedictorian?
You really think teachers are stupid? You really think grades are given based on two or three tests? There is classwork and participation and assignments and having material ready and so forth. Cheating is not fostered, there are students who will cheat, teachers know exactly who they are.
Case in point- a student who was sure she would be valedictorian- she was an above average student because of a good memory thahkb”h blessed her with, she put in zero effort , and had an attitude. She was not chosen- you should have seen the fit she threw. But another student who rightly deserved it was chosen.
Those who are not in chinuch should stop assuming they can tell teachers how to run the classrooms.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:13 pm
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
So what? That cheater lied her way to higher grades, better transcripts than she deserves, and stole seminary spots that she is not entitled to. Other, honest girls are. Liars and cheats are not. Then in shidduchim, the liar can say she went to a top seminary which she may not have really qualified for.

So who cares? Ask the mothers here when their hard working and erlich girls don’t get in because others faked their way.

This is what I am trying to tell you. Cheaters never prosper. The truth comes out. The cheaters do not steal spots. When references are called for seminaries and jobs the truth will come out.
And to remind you all that your children will end up exactly where the one above wants them to end up. School, or jobs or shidduch.
And those who choose the right path- honesty and toradig values will never lose out.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How low have we fallen.
I am shocked. Totally shocked, at your response
''

actually, im with amother impatiens
and im the HS teacher

and yes, I know good and well who the cheaters are
and after confronting one, on the principals suggestion, in a very roundabout manner....I dont think ill ever do it again

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:15 pm
Leave it alone.

Is this a joke?

Please H-Shem let it be.

Not a funny one at all. But each to their own humor.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:17 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Im a teacher. I demand participation from my students during class. I ask questions of them during class periods. I give informal quizzes all the time. I give tests that demand complete knowledge of the material. Trust me, I notice if a student has cheated on her midterm. I may or may not confront said student at that moment, given the particular situation. But rest assured, it will be refected on her report card. Trust us teachers, we're not as oblivious as you think.

However, your daughter needs to learn to do her best and not be busy with what others are doing. That's a life skill that will serve her well.

And, you, as a parent, your responsibility is to teach your children to do the right thing. Stop worrying about other people's children

Agree with this, 90% of the time I notice when someone cheats and will take that into account. Sometimes I might not take action that the class will see but that’s not the other students business. Additionally tests are just a small part of the grade, we include class participation/ class work, attendance , behavior, reports or projects, informal assessments , and tests.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:17 pm
How do they cheat?
I once had a teacher accuse me of cheating and I really didn't. At times when I'm feeling very low, I still tear up at the incident. So all of you teachers who are so sure you know everything, you really don't.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics