Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD- remedies and q's
Previous  1  2

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son was just diagnosed with adhd.
Have a few questions:
He has anxiety too. Remember reading in the past that anxiety could mimic adhd. Psychotherapist says that his anxiety comes from adhd. Does tha make sense?

I don't think he's hyper at all. I'll be asking her that direct just wonder if anyone can explain it here. So why the adHd?

I'm really not excited it to put him on meds. But he could definitely use help in focusing. Anyone tried natural remedies that could help the focusing and impulsiveness?

If meds r needed, who prescribes that. Reg pediatrician?

I'm so lost dunno where to start

Hi, I am unfortunately very experienced with ADHD, as my dh and a few of my kids have it.
For starters, as others said, ADHD can be either the inattentive type or with hyperactivity. It's still called ADHD now, whereas it used to be called ADD.

Anxiety often comes along with ADHD. Very very common. We have tried many different things, but in the end meds plus therapy is what really works. One of my children is on zoloft for anxiety (in addition to meds for focusing) and we have seen wonders. It's a pretty safe medication, and we tried other things first and this is what was best for the child.

With meds, I was also not excited to use meds, but that was what the child needed. I don't medicate for teachers. I medicate if that is what is best for that child. Stimulants (meds for adhd) have done wonders for some children. Also keep in mind, you're not committed to a lifetime of medication. One of my children is now decreasing on his meds. You take it as it comes. Meds are so much better than they used to be, they don't make kids into zombies. There are so many options and even a very very low dose can make a huge difference.

Read up a lot on adhd, the more you know, the more you can understand and help your child. It's literally like they are missing a link in their brains, which the meds remedy (only while they're on it).

As for who to go to: I would not use a pediatrician, as its not their specialty. Usually a psychiatrist, but sometimes a neurologist. You want to make sure they treat children with adhd a lot so they have the experience. If you post your location, we can give recommendations.

Hatzlacha!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)