Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Need Help from British Imamothers -- Scones & Clotted Cream

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:08 pm
I have a British-born guest coming who has expressed the desire for scones, clotted cream, and jam.

I've found lots of recipes for scones, but I'm looking for something foolproof.

Also, I can't find clotted cream in the US, let alone kosher, CY clotted cream, and the scones without clotted cream seem a waste of time. I'm looking into making my own, but I'm not sure I can pull it off.

Hoping the Brits on Imamother can give me some suggestions.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:13 pm
Fox wrote:
I have a British-born guest coming who has expressed the desire for scones, clotted cream, and jam.

I've found lots of recipes for scones, but I'm looking for something foolproof.

Also, I can't find clotted cream in the US, let alone kosher, CY clotted cream, and the scones without clotted cream seem a waste of time. I'm looking into making my own, but I'm not sure I can pull it off.

Hoping the Brits on Imamother can give me some suggestions.

Yum!

I am following this, not because I will probably make them, but I feel like I have walked into the pages of many of my favorite books!

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:17 pm
You need real milk to make clotted cream, not homogenized. There's no real substitute.

Fresh scones - ideally still warm from the oven - with jam are good on their own.

I've seen some recipes that make a travesty of the concept by including chocolate chips or icing. This is Wrong. Scones are only mildly sweet. The sweetness comes from the jam. Adding raisins is ok.

This is one of my favourite recipes.
https://www.deliaonline.com/re.....s?amp

Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

number

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:31 pm
@elfrida what do you think of this recipe—probably the closest we can get to clotted cream around here https://bakerbettie.com/homema.....ream/

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:41 pm
This is my favourite recipe, made many many times, from an old marks and spencer cookbook. You need self raising flour, never made it with plain but I guess you can add extra baking powder. I usually quadruple the recipe.

225 gr/ 8 oz self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp caster sugar (fine sugar they sell for baking but you can prob use regular granulated)
55 gr/ 2 oz butter
150 ml/ 5 fl oz milk

55gr mixed fruit - this means raisins/sultanas etc (I never put this in!)

preheat oven to 425 f
stir together dry ingredients. Rub in the butter. (hard to describe this if you haven't done it...rub until all the butter disappears and the mixture is crumby). Add milk and stir. Add dried fruit or choc chips but we just like them plain and add yummy fillings once baked.

once smooth, flatten dough on floured surface to about 3/4 inch thick. Cut out with desired size cutter. Depending on what they are for I do very small ones or bigger ones.

Brush top with milk and bake for approx 12 minutes until you like the colour, a nice golden brown.

Enjoy while warm but freeze really well.

Serve with fresh whipped cream, butter, jam.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:43 pm
despite my lack of clotted cream no one has ever described my scones as a waste of time. Fresh whipped cream is an excellent subsitute. (true, I have never tasted clotted cream...)

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 5:49 pm
Raisin wrote:
despite my lack of clotted cream no one has ever described my scones as a waste of time. Fresh whipped cream is an excellent subsitute. (true, I have never tasted clotted cream...)

Thanks for the suggestion! Maybe I'll go in that direction. Or maybe I'll just announce grandly that this recipe is from Raisin, and no one has ever described her scones as a waste of time! That should put the subject to bed.

I like Elfrida's idea of just serving them with jam, too.

What jam brands do you recommend. I'm not a big connoisseur of jam, I have to admit.

BubblyBubby

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 6:03 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SWzRujV87U
you might want to try that for clotted cream (15-20 min microwave, 5 min slots)
and this for scones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5bj8kmFpB0

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 6:28 pm
BubblyBubby wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SWzRujV87U
you might want to try that for clotted cream (15-20 min microwave, 5 min slots)
and this for scones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5bj8kmFpB0

These are great! I might try to microwave clotted cream!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:49 am
Fox wrote:
I like Elfrida's idea of just serving them with jam, too.

What jam brands do you recommend. I'm not a big connoisseur of jam, I have to admit.

Home made would be best, if you really want to make an effort...

I'm not familiar with American brands, but something with a high fruit content, and some real fruit in it. Strawberry or raspberry would be traditional flavours.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:06 am
we love tiptree jam but you probably can't get that in the USA. Bonne maman is fine. Def strawberry or raspberry.

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 03 2022, 2:50 pm
Thanks so much to our British Imas! You made me look like a fantastic hostess.

My scones were excellent, even without clotted cream.

I figured out how to brew tea correctly in a silver teapot and use tea strainers.

I also have now mastered cucumber as well as egg-and-cress sandwiches. I made these for tea and was charmingly badgered to make them again for brunch as well as encouraged to make a batch to be taken on the airplane.

That said, I'm kinda done with trimming the stems off watercress for a while!

Oh, and my guest said he hadn't had such an authentic tea-time since he'd been in America. He was clearly flattering me in an effort to encourage me to keep trimming the stems off the watercress, but at least he could see that an effort had been made!

English3

Post Thu, Feb 03 2022, 2:52 pm
Lol here in London I have yet to taste the foods you described.

Last edited by English3 on Thu, Feb 03 2022, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Feb 03 2022, 2:55 pm
Is Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt similar to Clotted Cream?

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 03 2022, 2:56 pm
So good! I had high tea once in a hotel in London — total tourist trap but the scones, clotted cream, jam, tea, and cucumber sandwiches were delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins