Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Does such a community exist in USA?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:40 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Question about this -- I'm from a nearby state and we have often thought of moving to Dallas. However, I have been told it's very snobby and classist, and the one holiday we went to a shul there, that was definitely true. Any insight?

I was in Dallas for a visit and the people couldn't be lovelier. Maybe depends which neighborhood and which shul? We were with Congregation Ohr Hatorah. Many friendly yeshivish people there, we got about 5 Shabbos invites. DH and I chatted with a bunch of congregants. If not for my extended family in NY, I'd consider a move there.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:20 pm
St Louis could be nice option.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 3:24 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
Interesting because our experience has been that the frum communities are red bubbles in blue states.

This

NJ is very liberal
From after Purim till Shavuos, 2020, Lakewood played the Covod game
After that Aron Kotler and other askonim politely told the governor to take the nonsense elsewhere
The local police won’t enforce it, and State police avoid coming if possible because they know the local police don’t really support it

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 4:46 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
St Louis could be nice option.

Agreed

DallasIma

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are the Dallas schools masking this year? Are there 4 bedroom houses less than 500k? I’d also love to hear more about Plano, as I think it’s less urban than the main Dallas community. Thanks!

I have a large house that's assessed at under $500K, but I'm not sure what the market price is currently for houses that size. You'd have to do some research (if you pm me I can give you names of real estate agents that I know). In the North Eruv, where I live, houses are generally less expensive than in the South Eruv.

Sorry I don't have much info about Plano because I don't live there, and sorry also that I don't have info about what the schools are doing because I don't have school-age kids. Hope someone else can answer those questions.

DallasIma

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 7:51 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Question about this -- I'm from a nearby state and we have often thought of moving to Dallas. However, I have been told it's very snobby and classist, and the one holiday we went to a shul there, that was definitely true. Any insight?

Snobby and classist? I have never experienced anything like that in the 18 years I've lived here. Not sure which shul you went to but I have never seen that in any shul here that I know about. (I live in the North Eruv, within walking distance of 4 wonderful, welcoming Orthodox shuls.)

Dallas is the total 180 opposite of snobby and classist!

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 4:37 pm
There is going to be a new community with a Kollel under Torah U'Mesorah starting this summer in TAMPA FLORIDA!
The community is not going to be Chassidish.
Separate from the existing Chassidish community.
For more info call the Rabbi running it at
The community is geared to be a warm Frum out-of-town Torah growing community from what they say. The vision sounds really nice, and it's affordable too!

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 5:58 pm
What is the Rabbi's name?
What yeshiva is the kollel affiliated with?

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 12:02 pm
Rabbi Panish is his name
Sounds like its going to be "out of town Yeshivishish"
It's not officially any Yeshiva,
He said the Kollel plans on opening with families moving from Eretz Yisroel and learned in the Mir etc.
You could call him

Lady A

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 12:09 pm
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania.

justforfun87

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 1:41 pm
You must be from Baltimore based on your description.

Matisse

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 8:15 pm
Norfolk Virginia is a pretty amazing community - and - we now have a Republican governor. We are expanding the kollel and have other jobs available, too!

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 10:44 pm
I know this thread is from a month ago but I just cannot wrap my head around someone choosing where to move based on whether or not masks are required in schools. It’s incredibly short sighted.

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 11:18 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
I know this thread is from a month ago but I just cannot wrap my head around someone choosing where to move based on whether or not masks are required in schools. It’s incredibly short sighted.

Could not disagree with you more

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 11:22 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:

That's like saying that taking into account for a shidduch how a bochur dealt with his roommates when he was in Yeshiva is incredibly short-sighted.

You're right, the mask mandate may end soon. But one's position on the subject may say a lot about their values and general approach to policy, which certainly is likely to have an ongoing effect.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 6:49 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
That's like saying that taking into account for a shidduch how a bochur dealt with his roommates when he was in Yeshiva is incredibly short-sighted.

You're right, the mask mandate may end soon. But one's position on the subject may say a lot about their values and general approach to policy, which certainly is likely to have an ongoing effect.
Yes, exactly this! Thank you!
If you get it, you get it.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 12:42 pm
What about Memphis. It's a blue county but the frummer families are very red. We're very happy here. There is only one school which is actually very nice. We bought a while ago, but 500k for a 4 bedroom is doable.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 1:08 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

Exactly. Hameivan yavo
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating