Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Which Jewish songs come from non-jewish songs?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 2:56 am
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
There are so many....

The famous Ki Eshmera Shabat for example is one that isn't so very well known. It's a Ottoman Navy anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ABiJ-0JRs8

Also:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/I.....2.360

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 4:59 am
Love this site wrote:
Famous “Yiddin, yiddin” tune by Mbd was performed at a European music festival in an unfamiliar language. The music video is still somewhere in cyberspace. The cast is dressed up in animal costumes. Really weird.

From the song "Dschinghis Khan" performed in German by a German group, that was also called "Dschingis Khan". They performed it at the Eurovision Song Contest 1979 in Jerusalem and came in 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmI3vAIhbE

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 5:06 am
Someone once told me they were at a chassidishe fabrengen or tish, and the men started singing a niggun, to the tune of my heart will go on by Celine Dion. LOL Banging head

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 5:47 am
I remember once listening to an Uncle Moishy tape, and thinking that one one the songs was the tune of 'G-d Rest You, Merry Gentlemen', and another was 'What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor'.

Beyla

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:10 am
Elfrida wrote:
I remember once listening to an Uncle Moishy tape, and thinking that one one the songs was the tune of 'G-d Rest You, Merry Gentlemen', and another was 'What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor'.

A lot of uncle moishy comes from non Jewish songs

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:47 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
From the song "Dschinghis Khan" performed in German by a German group, that was also called "Dschingis Khan". They performed it at the Eurovision Song Contest 1979 in Jerusalem and came in 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmI3vAIhbE

DallasIma

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 6:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes! Hashem Melech comes from a spanish song:

I have to tell over this story again because it still makes me laugh. I have non-Jewish next-door neighbors who are always playing loud music and having parties in their back yard. One Shabbat during Sukkot I was sitting in my sukkah, and all of a sudden I heard a very familiar tune coming from next door, but I couldn't hear the words. I'm thinking, "Why are they playing 'Hashem Melech'? They're non-Jews and it's Shabbat!" Then it dawned on me that they were playing the original Spanish song you mentioned. LOL ROFL! I think Hashem was showing me Who is King!

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 8:25 am
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
Someone once told me they were at a chassidishe fabrengen or tish, and the men started singing a niggun, to the tune of my heart will go on by Celine Dion. LOL Banging head

I've always thought that you could into a really insular community, niggun "jingle bells" and within a few years it could become the holiest tune ever.

As an aside, Shlock Rock and Gershon Verona both parody popular music

BubblyBubby

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 9:02 am
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
There are so many....

The famous Ki Eshmera Shabat for example is one that isn't so very well known. It's a Ottoman Navy anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ABiJ-0JRs8

Also:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/I.....2.360

That's so interesting! I didn't know that. I will forward it to my friends!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 10:13 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455765&start=20

How did I miss that thread lol? It's current!

Choirmistress

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 10:34 pm
Re: "What do you Do with a Drunken Sailor?":
This was done by The Rabbis' Sons in the '70s to the words of "Od Yishama".

amother
Thistle

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 10:45 pm
I thought the Drunken Sailor song was done in an Abie Rottenberg song but can't seem to think of it right now...

amother
Navyblue

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 10:58 pm
GANGNAM STYLE

Non-Jewish version--

Jewish version--

Choirmistress

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 11:27 pm
Hi, Thistle.
I think the one I'm thinking of (I might be mistaking The Rabbis' Sons for Dveykus) WAS by Abie Rotenberg. To see if I'm right, you can Google "Abie Rotenberg + Od Yishama" and see if that's the one we're both thinking about. If you get a hit on either The Rabbis' Sons (click on "track listings") or Dveykus, then for sure that's the one, because I am aware of no other song that has been done to that tune.

Odelyah

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 11:33 pm
"Asher Bara" to the tune of "A Land Down Under" by Men at Work, a hit song from the mid 80's. Can't remember who did it but it was a chasuna staple for years.

Choirmistress

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 11:34 pm
To Ihatepotatoes:
I think I answered this comment, but I'll reiterate: If you're thinking about the tune that's a speeded-up version of "Ahavat Hadassah", then the latter was written way back in the 17th Century by a Yemenite paytan surnamed either Shabazi or al-Shabazi, as a Shabbos zemirah in the form of a mashal comparing bi'as haMoshiach to a wedding of Klal Yisroel to the Sh'chinah. There's even a graceful dance to that earlier tune.

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:29 am
A follow-up to my two posts of Friday, and a third one on motza'ei Shabbos. The composer of the 17th-Century Ahavat Hadassah is Rabbi Shalom Shabazi.
And now a request for help in doing singable English versions (not just translations but matching the rhyme and rhythm) of two Ofra Haza songs that have many phrases that don't make sense when translated literally. I am at a loss as to their better-understood meaning when taking those problematic phrases on an idiomatic level.
The two songs are Mechapesset Derech and Meshorer Harechov. If anyone really good in idiomatic Hebrew can help me with those three or four lines, I would greatly appreciate it. Just indicate your interest and I can send you back an email with the lyrics, noting which phrases I'm stuck on.
Thanks in advance.

Roots

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:53 am
Choirmistress wrote:
A follow-up to my two posts of Friday, and a third one on motza'ei Shabbos. The composer of the 17th-Century Ahavat Hadassah is Rabbi Shalom Shabazi.
And now a request for help in doing singable English versions (not just translations but matching the rhyme and rhythm) of two Ofra Haza songs that have many phrases that don't make sense when translated literally. I am at a loss as to their better-understood meaning when taking those problematic phrases on an idiomatic level.
The two songs are Mechapesset Derech and Meshorer Harechov. If anyone really good in idiomatic Hebrew can help me with those three or four lines, I would greatly appreciate it. Just indicate your interest and I can send you back an email with the lyrics, noting which phrases I'm stuck on.
Thanks in advance.

I speak hebrew. shoot..

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:46 am
Wow. That was fast! Thanks.
Apologies for not knowing how to attach my two files with the lyrics. I don't see anything on the screen to allow for this. You can, however, find the lyrics online, especially at Shironet. Also, a minor point but having to do with dikduk: Should there be a dagesh in the shin of "bishtikat'cha"?

Anyway, these are the lines I'm having trouble with. In Mechapesset Derech:
First line: Surely the singer/narrator doesn't mean that she is always literally, physically with the man to whom she is singing? To my mind, "Tamid itcha" means "Where you are concerned, it's always the case that..." Am I totally off? The next phrase seems to make enough sense: "My life is outside of you", meaning that she feels she can't get close to or understand him.
And the "shezeh" in the fourth line refers to the entire situation of his silence.
Next: in the chorus, "Pashtut shel tom", "The simplicity of innocence", has too many syllables in English to form a practical rhyme. Would just "sim-PLIC-I-TEE-ee" convey the meaning just as well?
"B'li laga'at" looks to me like "Without touching", so would "V'gam" before it mean "And even"?
Is "L'orko shel yom" "As long as the day lasts", or does it have a more idiomatic meaning?
Second verse: Is "Kol kach shel'cha" "It is so typical of you" or something else?
And the song's last word, "hishtaneh", I think that's a typo by the original lyrics publisher. Isn't it in future tense, "yishtaneh"?
In Meshorer Harechov:
In the chorus, the line "Kach, hanicheihu bein einecha" can't be literal. "Take it, put it between your eyes"?! Does it mean something like "Take it to heart" or "Always remember it"?
Same problem with the literal meaning of "el toch chayecha". "It goes into your life"?!
In the second verse: "B'derech ein motzei, shelo teida kitza" seems to me to say "On a path that nobody can find, whose end you can't know". Is that at all close to the intended meaning?
Anyway, this post is certainly long enough. I thank you again for giving me any clue as to the songwriters' original intentions. I think the hardest part of my translating will be fitting rhyming syllables to the shorter rhythm of the original Hebrew, which is a fairly compact language.
Your efforts will be much appreciated. Respect and kudos to your Hebrew knowledge. Thanks again.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:41 pm
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:

Fun fact: Eurovision took place in Israel in 1979, and Israel won for the 2nd yr in a row with the song “Halelu-ka”.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts