Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
This list makes me sad
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:17 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Why did Hashem make so many delicious fruits that we can’t eat due to bugs?
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

Why did Hashem make so much delicious food we cannot eat.
Crab
Shellfish
Ham

While we mainly follow rabbi vaye in terms of bugs o will a knowlege he is from the strictest opinions I have found bugs in many places I know lots of ppl don’t really look.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:19 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Yes, but as an average American (who even lived in EY for a few years) I would have no idea what to do.

As an American with access to the internet you can easily find the information. It is in a number of siddurim as well. You just need to put aside a coin.

The bigger issue is with veggies and shmitta- Israeli carrots in ShopRite ( fruits are next years problem- oranges in Costco.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:21 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Why did Hashem make so much delicious food we cannot eat.
Crab
Shellfish
Ham

Animals, not food lol. Why stop there? Those are just critters that are popular for food in our culture. We could eat much more interesting ones. You might say 'Gross' but maybe they aren't.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:25 pm
sequoia wrote:
Nobody cared about bugs 100 years ago.

And therefore? And it's not true. People checked by eye the best way they could.

zohar

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:28 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
They didnt have microscopes and special lights though. I question their use because halacha says we can't eat bugs that we see with the naked eye. The question I have is that if we can only see the bugs with special tools, how does the halacha apply?.

You don't need microscopes or special lights either. Microscopes aren't used to find bugs, just to determine if what you are seeing with the naked eye is a bug or not. I don't know anyone who uses it to look for bugs.
As for light boxes. You don't need that either. You can hold up the lettuce to the sun light or a bright light. But the light box makes it easier on your neck muscles.
My grandfather told us that they only used romaine stalks for marror in Galicia because it was too tedious to check. There then was a gap in education, because, for a number of decades, farmers used very effective pesticides that eliminated the need for checking. When these pesticides were banned, people didn't realize that needed to check, and even think it's "made up" because they didn't see their mothers do it.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:29 pm
I'll repeat what others said. There are other respectable insect guides that are more lenient. Consult your own Rav if you're not sure.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:29 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Animals, not food lol. Why stop there? Those are just critters that are popular for food in our culture. We could eat much more interesting ones. You might say 'Gross' but maybe they aren't.

I was just quoting OP
She asked why Hashem would make food we can’t eat.
There are lots of things Hashem made that we can’t eat.

I don’t eat fresh blueberries but I can bH eat frozen. For most foods there is a solution.

Even a kosher cow there are parts that ate assur to eat.
For whatever reason Hashem has made some of these goods very difficult to eat bug free these days. Maybe to see what we care about more?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:30 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Why did Hashem make so many delicious fruits that we can’t eat due to bugs?
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

Why did He make so many delicious animals we can't eat? For one thing, you CAN eat any kind of produce if you take the trouble to remove the bugs or grow them without bugs (as some Israeli companies are now doing). If you decide that it's not worth your while to jump through whatever hoops are necessary to remove bugs, that's on you, not on Him.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:35 pm
zohar wrote:
farmers used very effective pesticides that eliminated the need for checking. When these pesticides were banned, people didn't realize that needed to check, and even think it's "made up" because they didn't see their mothers do it.

This. I was a child of the DDT generation. Never saw a bug on a fruit or veggie in my life till I was in my 20s, after DDT was banned. Ironic that it was banned due to concerns about the bald eagle, which was in danger of extinction due to ingestion of DDT, not concern about what DDT might do to people. I guess the bald eagle, being the symbol of the US, was more important to politicians than people were.

I also never heard of lice except in history books. Lice checks were a foreign concept in my school days and I was horrified to earn, when my kids started school, that this was now a thing.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:21 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Yes, but as an average American (who even lived in EY for a few years) I would have no idea what to do.

Google it, then print it out for reference. It's on the website of one of the big kashrut orgs, OU or OK, maybe, that describes the procedure step by step. It makes no sense to boycott Israeli goods out of ignorance when the solution is to LEARN what to do.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen