Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How do I help my child socially?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 9:30 pm
DD is in 2nd grade. I find she sometimes just doesn't 'get it'. She's regular smart and cute and fun. But at times she'll say out of line comments that you normally supposed to keep to yourself. She giggles a lot and can be very loud. I see when she plays with others her age sometimes they get nervous from her (or she'll unintentionally make someone feel bad by saying something she should have not said...)

She's been complaining about her classmates not wanting to play during school recess. She is pretty dramatic so I'm not basing anything off that. And her teacher had told me at PTA that she is doing great socially but she keeps making comments to me about having no friends at school and from what I see at home it may have some truth to it...

How can I help her?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:35 pm
I just started my kindergartener in a therapy group for teaching social skills. Maybe look around and try to find one for her too?

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:53 am
I clearly don't know your kid so I can't diagnose her, just throw out possibilities. First of all you're doing great by addressing this early. I'm dealing with this with middle schoolers I see right now and the early it's addressed the easier.

It sounds like there's a large self esteem aspect here- therapy in general should help that.

It may be a generic social skills issue- social skills groups

Or it may be a manifestation of ADHD- she speaks without thinking, driving kids away.

Or it may just be the low self esteem that she's trying too hard and pushing kids away

Or she may be imagining the problem from low self esteem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics