Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help Daughter just got her first period...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:43 pm
So my daughter who is only 9 turning 10 in 2 months got her period ahh it was such so out of the blue and not expected! So its my first girl so need some help and tips... First are there smaller pads for her age that I shud give her or we can both use same kind? I shud tell her to keep a pad in her briefcase? How would she bring to the bathroom?! Shes so young! Dont think so many girls are dealing with this yet! Also when do I go for a bra or like a beginners sports bra.. She is a little taller and bigger and maybe developing.. Wow cant believe im dealing with this stuff already!! Amy other tips or advice is welcome im inexperienced and a beginner as a parent in this area!

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:54 pm
Yes, both kotex and always make "teen" sized pads I believe. They are smaller than regular sized and more substantial than a panty liner. She definitely should get used to carrying around an emergency pad just in case as well as a few when she's having her flow. She can bring her bag in the bathroom with her or discretely put it up her sleeve, etc. when she goes when she's out. At home, I'd keep some in the bathroom in a discrete place. Did she already start getting other physical signs of maturity? If she's going soon for her physical, this is definitely something to bring up then and ensure her hormone surge is "normal" for her and not due to something amiss (don't freak out) since she is a little young.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:58 pm
Period is usually a later stage after breast development and hair growth start. If she doesn’t have any of that I would go to the pediatrician to double check that everything looks good.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:00 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Period is usually a later stage after breast development and hair growth start. If she doesn’t have any of that I would go to the pediatrician to double check that everything looks good.

Not necessarily.

I got my period at 11 before I had any other changes.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:02 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Not necessarily.

I got my period at 11 before I had any other changes.

Yes there is an official order to the stages. You can Google and read about it. There might be exceptions but since it’s not the typical way things happen it’s worth speaking to the pediatrician.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics