Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Kosher OS

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:34 am
Has anyone purchased a phone through Kosher OS?

https://thekosheros.com/pages/kosheros

Alternatively, anyone can explain to this middle age mom what the pros/cons of this option is vs. getting an iphone and putting on restrictions/filter?

Thank you so much

anon cuz I've been asking my whole contact list about this too

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone purchased a phone through Kosher OS?

https://thekosheros.com/pages/kosheros

Alternatively, anyone can explain to this middle age mom what the pros/cons of this option is vs. getting an iphone and putting on restrictions/filter?

Thank you so much

anon cuz I've been asking my whole contact list about this too

So just a primer: OS means Operating System. That's the software that the phone uses to run.

On an iphone without a filter, the OS was not designed to hide anything from you, or decide what you should or should not see. When you put a filter on, it slows it down and shows you, supposedly, only what's clean.

The KosherOS, is, as the page says, built from the ground up. There is no internet browser, so I'm not sure how you get anywhere--like even visiting imamother. There are only 100 apps you can use, only clean ones (likely Whatsapp, weather, chat, etc). I would imagine it's a whole lot of money for a phone that does very little, but the big draw is that there cannot be internet.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:52 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
So just a primer: OS means Operating System. That's the software that the phone uses to run.

On an iphone without a filter, the OS was not designed to hide anything from you, or decide what you should or should not see. When you put a filter on, it slows it down and shows you, supposedly, only what's clean.

The KosherOS, is, as the page says, built from the ground up. There is no internet browser, so I'm not sure how you get anywhere--like even visiting imamother. There are only 100 apps you can use, only clean ones (likely Whatsapp, weather, chat, etc). I would imagine it's a whole lot of money for a phone that does very little, but the big draw is that there cannot be internet.

I don't have it, but I used to do their graphics so I spoke to the a lot in order to understand what I was advertising.

You can't go on imamother. There is no internet. The apps are their own app store, after being approved. So you're limited to what they're offering, but what they're offering is kosher.

The advantage is that there is zero concern of a filter not working, or someone overriding the filter.

You can get WhatsApp (I think) and Waze, which imo are the two biggest advantages of a smartphone, if you didn't want internet.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:13 am
Thank you so much!

The phone is not a problem: it's a google pixel which has amazing reviews.

I wonder if anyone has this can help me understand why you chose it and how it's been going?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:36 am
For people who know they don't want a browser but do want some apps, who don't want to start filtering a smart phone, it's great. I should add that an option for many of those people is to get a safe phone from their local TAG office. However, those phones usually won't come with customer service and won't have all the options of the Kosher OS.

Here's what the KosherOS has: An app store, that gets updated, with preloaded apps, including Waze, TorahAnytime, OUTorah, YUTorah, theyeshivanet, compass, camera, recorder, Headspace, carefully curated newssite, calendars of all sorts, siddurim, Tehillim and a number of other useful apps. You can get an upgrade and do some shopping and other stuff on it which is probably very useful but I opted not to do.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:45 am
Could I load Kosher OS onto my existing iphone, or I need to purchase a new phone?
1. I need Waze, Amazon, Google Maps, and Email. Can I get those on this OS?
2. Is it a one time fee, or recurring?
3. Hard for me to imagine there aren't bugs on this. Is it really smooth runtime?

Thanks

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:02 pm
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
Could I load Kosher OS onto my existing iphone, or I need to purchase a new phone?
1. I need Waze, Amazon, Google Maps, and Email. Can I get those on this OS?
2. Is it a one time fee, or recurring?
3. Hard for me to imagine there aren't bugs on this. Is it really smooth runtime?

Thanks

I've been happy with it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:41 pm
Here’s the response from them
Thanks for reaching out and for your interest!

All the apps offered are listed on the site, google photos is the one for pictures. The others you mentioned are likely an issue because they can be searched for images and the results can include content we do not want on the KosherOS.

At this time we are not offering to install the KosherOS on devices besides the ones purchased directly from us.

A full listing of our resellers can be found here: https://thekosheros.com/pages/store-locator

The fees are based on the device and options selected, so based on what you listed it would be

Device Cost+
$25 for WhatsApp+
$25 for upgrade to plus app store for banking apps access

These are one time fees, we have no monthly fees, you pay your mobile services provider directly for your monthly line charges.

Hope that helps, let us know if you need anything else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics