Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can I finally wear blazers again??

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:45 pm
I am the least "in style" person you've ever met.

I hate buying Shabbos clothes. Grew up in the '80s and '90s when you just bought a few suits and rotated them. That was so easy. Granted, my mother paid the dry cleaning bill. And paid for the original suits, which I'm sure were quite pricey. But it seemed that they lasted forever (probably because they never saw the washing machine), they were easily made tznius with a shell underneath, and they looked put-together and classy and required very little thought.

Now when I need to shop for more Shabbos clothes (due to my ever-changing size -- pre-baby, post-baby, post-the-next-baby LOL ), I'm stuck. I've managed to find a few things over the years, but it takes me forever to find something I don't think looks "strange." I don't like trendy looks, and I can't figure out what "classic" looks like anymore.

But I went shopping today, AND THERE WERE SUITS!!! Okay, so not suits, but close enough. Blazers. Are they in style again? Can I wear them? Please? I'm live outside of NY in a large Jewish community, and never go to shul on Shabbos, and don't notice what anyone else is wearing until like three years after everyone's wearing it. Please, please tell me I have permission to wear these again!

(I'm going to pretend I don't have some suits from two decades ago still sitting in the back of my closet because I couldn't bear to part with them...And yeah, I know I probably can't wear those anymore. But this is still amazing news...if it's true?)

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:49 pm
They became fashionable in my corner of the world recently, so you're onto something...

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:15 pm
Ah, fond memories. I used to wear those. Smile
Back then, when I was 20 kg (about 40 pounds) lighter... if they are back, how will they fit unto my new, rotund self?

Fox

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:28 pm
I don't think blazers have ever been completely out of style. You don't see matching suits as often anymore, but I see plenty of blazers in catalogs and elsewhere. I've also seen a lot of leather shrugs and short jackets that dress up a knit skirt.

Something else I'm seeing that I really like are "denim" jackets in various colors and prints. They range from the traditional denim jacket design to longer-length jackets without the top-stitching. The fact that they are technically denim means they wouldn't fly in some communities, but some are definitely denim in name only.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:30 pm
I wasn't aware that suits or blazers ever went OUT of fashion. They're classics, which means they may not ever be the height of fashion but they're never really out, either.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:35 pm
Fox wrote:

Something else I'm seeing that I really like are "denim" jackets in various colors and prints. They range from the traditional denim jacket design to longer-length jackets without the top-stitching. The fact that they are technically denim means they wouldn't fly in some communities, but some are definitely denim in name only.

I've always longed for a business-style suit made of denim. I visit a lot of industrial sites that aren't exactly pristine, but I still have to look professional for the meeting with the boss in the corner office. A good business suit would get ruined on the production floor but a denim skirt and t-shirt, which would be perfect there, puts me at a disadvantage in the CEO office. A washable denim suit would be the ideal compromise.

However, as I plan to retire quite soon, there wouldn't be much point investing is such a thing now. Timing is everything.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:37 pm
I guess I mean can I wear them on Shabbos. Obviously businesswomen wear them. But they're not "normal" to wear on Shabbos.

For what it's worth, I'm OOT yeshivish. I don't mind looking a bit "boring" but don't want to look like I missed the memo that we're in the 21st century.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:45 pm
The few blazers I've seen dont look much like the ones from years ago.
Even when a style comes back its with a twist.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:14 pm
Blazers are in for a year already.
They are shorter than the suits and more tailored.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:29 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Blazers are in for a year already.
They are shorter than the suits and more tailored.

Can you give me an example?

Also, what do you wear with it? Just a black skirt? I'm trying to envision the look.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:37 pm
Blazers are in, as long as you don't wear them closed. Please don't wear them closed. You can wear it open over a dress or flouncy shirt, but what ever you do, please don't close them.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:52 pm
Open blazers over turtlenecks are very on trend right now.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:52 pm
https://www.anntaylor.com/the-.....pping|Jackets&gclid=CjwKCAiA55mPBhBOEiwANmzoQuBLXpIq-cnL2byyPO_ne66WXLw2koouqnNncQ83CgcTu35ryolHmBoCiyMQAvD_BwE&selectedColor=4925

https://www.lilysilk.com/us/cl.....type=

Wear it open with any color skirt that matches. And wear a knit tshirt underneath.
Or you could wear a solid blazer over a floral dress.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 5:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am the least "in style" person you've ever met.

I hate buying Shabbos clothes. Grew up in the '80s and '90s when you just bought a few suits and rotated them. That was so easy. Granted, my mother paid the dry cleaning bill. And paid for the original suits, which I'm sure were quite pricey. But it seemed that they lasted forever (probably because they never saw the washing machine), they were easily made tznius with a shell underneath, and they looked put-together and classy and required very little thought.

Now when I need to shop for more Shabbos clothes (due to my ever-changing size -- pre-baby, post-baby, post-the-next-baby LOL ), I'm stuck. I've managed to find a few things over the years, but it takes me forever to find something I don't think looks "strange." I don't like trendy looks, and I can't figure out what "classic" looks like anymore.

But I went shopping today, AND THERE WERE SUITS!!! Okay, so not suits, but close enough. Blazers. Are they in style again? Can I wear them? Please? I'm live outside of NY in a large Jewish community, and never go to shul on Shabbos, and don't notice what anyone else is wearing until like three years after everyone's wearing it. Please, please tell me I have permission to wear these again!

(I'm going to pretend I don't have some suits from two decades ago still sitting in the back of my closet because I couldn't bear to part with them...And yeah, I know I probably can't wear those anymore. But this is still amazing news...if it's true?)

I personally can’t wait until the big a line dresses go out of style. They make everyone look huge.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 5:36 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I personally can’t wait until the big a line dresses go out of style. They make everyone look huge.

Yes! I always say it looks like they're wrapped in my grandmother's living room curtains.

I don't buy into trends. But this is one I'm considering buying into. Except that part of the great thing about suits was that you bought it all at once, except maybe for the shell. Now it seems that they've complicated things, like I need to find a dress with a high enough neckline and a long skirt and that looks nice, and that ALSO matches the blazer perfectly. Or worse, I need to find a shirt AND skirt AND blazer that somehow all look good together and fit me. Way too much trouble. Wink

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 6:32 pm
Pair a short blazer with a long dressy maxi skirt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics