Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Switching from Jewish school to public school
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:53 am
Winter erev Shabbos will definitely be a challenge, I don’t know how early I would be able to start as I need to help get my own kids off to school.
Dh is a Rebbe and would stay on the school schedule.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Winter erev Shabbos will definitely be a challenge, I don’t know how early I would be able to start as I need to help get my own kids off to school.
Dh is a Rebbe and would stay on the school schedule.

Those are things you need to know before applying for jobs.

In NYC, for example, the teachers' contracts says that the teachers' day shall begin no earlier than 8 am. Most schools start classes at 8:30. If you cannot be in class to start the day at those hours, you can't teach.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:01 am
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
Those are things you need to know before applying for jobs.

In NYC, for example, the teachers' contracts says that the teachers' day shall begin no earlier than 8 am. Most schools start classes at 8:30. If you cannot be in class to start the day at those hours, you can't teach.

I can start at 830, I know some schools start at 7, that would be too much with little kids at home. Obviously I will look into the hours before I sign a contract.

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can start at 830, I know some schools start at 7, that would be too much with little kids at home. Obviously I will look into the hours before I sign a contract.

Even if class starts 830 many times the teachers have to be there at 8. Also in my experience school times can vary from year to year. That's how my school have worked. There is no tolerance for lateness. If your dh is a rebbe that is great. He can take care of the kids in rhe morning and will be home with them Friday afternoons, erev yom tov, isru chag etc...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You need to check when the duty day starts. Usually teachers are required to be there before it starts for students. And remember the later the start time, the later the end time (think Fridays).
At my school the official day was 8:30-3:15. Teacher's duty hours were 8:15-3:30, plus 1 hour after school 1 afternoon a week for faculty meetings, so 4:30 those days (was always the same day of the week).
ETA maybe you could hire a morning babysitter to get your kids off to school if needed. Like a college girl.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:05 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

Just a side note, maybe Hashem has. Special plan for you in public school. Maybe there is a kid who is not yet frum and there and you can connect with them and help teach them the beauty of Torah Judaism. My parent taught in PS and the Jewish kids sought out and had lunch with them and connected. Maybe you have a special tafkid.

You need to be careful, there is separation of church and state and you can't bring religion into school or discuss with students unless it's part of the curriculum and you are teaching it as a class lesson.
That said, I had a few Jewish kids over the years who were excited to share stuff about their Hanukkah celebrations with me.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:49 am
I try to remind myself when I have to make decisions of something I learned:

With Hashgachah Pratis, it means Hashem is not only with us as things happen, but also that He's with us when we face decisions and is part of that too.

You should feel confident in Hashem's presence as you make your decision, and go forth with security and success whichever route you end up choosing.

butternut1

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:41 am
Connecting with students in public schools can be fulfilling and wonderful too. There are so many kids that need devoted and caring teachers. If you can make the logistics work then it sounds like a very good idea.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:01 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
You need to be careful, there is separation of church and state and you can't bring religion into school or discuss with students unless it's part of the curriculum and you are teaching it as a class lesson.
That said, I had a few Jewish kids over the years who were excited to share stuff about their Hanukkah celebrations with me.

You can, actually. If you do it right. Many schools have different religious clubs and they are very careful in regards to the rules. When I went to public school, the Fellowship of Chrstian Athletes (intentionally spelled wrong by me) used to have prayer circles every morning at the flag pole and other gatherings.

OP, there are clubs called Jewish Student Union, which are public school Jewish clubs and part of the OU's outreach program. This is an amazing program which I was zoche to be a part of many years ago. https://jsu.org/ Other high schools have Jewish Culture Clubs. It's a thing.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:28 am
According to your kesuba, your husband should be providing for medical expenses. Maybe you can still teach where you are and he can get a good job or buy private insurance.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:51 pm
watergirl wrote:
You can, actually. If you do it right. Many schools have different religious clubs and they are very careful in regards to the rules. When I went to public school, the Fellowship of Chrstian Athletes (intentionally spelled wrong by me) used to have prayer circles every morning at the flag pole and other gatherings.

OP, there are clubs called Jewish Student Union, which are public school Jewish clubs and part of the OU's outreach program. This is an amazing program which I was zoche to be a part of many years ago. https://jsu.org/ Other high schools have Jewish Culture Clubs. It's a thing.

If you sponsor a club. It's not so simple. You need to apply and get permission etc
I did an after-school club and it was not a simple thing to set up.
But you can't just start talking to kids at lunch about Judaism. As a teacher.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:01 pm
If you sponsor a club. It's not so simple. You need to apply and get permission etc
I did an after-school club and it was not a simple thing to set up.
But you can't just start talking to kids at lunch about Judaism. As a teacher.

I ran an NCSY club after school hours for many years. It was so rewarding. It wasn't difficult to start such a club.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:05 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I ran an NCSY club after school hours for many years. It was so rewarding. It wasn't difficult to start such a club.

Did you actually start it up as a teacher within the school system? Or did you run a chapter of a program that was already in place and had been approved? Maybe it depends on your district but in mine it wasn't so simple. And op hasn't said what grade level but there's a big difference btwn starting this sort of club in elementary vs high school.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:16 pm
Its a no brainer.
Your health is suffering as is your DHs. The extra money will be a life send BH
Switch yesterday

signed, a public school speech therapist!

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:17 pm
Did you actually start it up as a teacher within the school system? Or did you run a chapter of a program that was already in place and had been approved? Maybe it depends on your district but in mine it wasn't so simple. And op hasn't said what grade level but there's a big difference btwn starting this sort of club in elementary vs high school.

NCSY has an outreach program for public high schools. I started a chapter in my school and didn't need permission from my principal because we already had approximately 50 other clubs in the school. I sponsored the club but we had an NCSY advisor come in each week. I started the club with just two students and it blossomed into a club of about 35 students. It was so popular that we had 2 non-Jewish students coming to the club and actually enjoying it! The one hour each week that I would meet with my kids made my difficult job as a high school public school teacher worthwhile. NCSY is such a wonderful wonderful organization.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:23 pm
Anyone else thought it's going to be about a student changing schools?
I'd love information about that. Private Jewish school is getting way too expensive.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:30 pm
How does it compare in terms of hours commute and responsibilities? Can you take off all the Jewish Y”Tovim you need? What time does the day end on Friday’s (winter) ?
Are you getting any tuition breaks now?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:32 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
NCSY has an outreach program for public high schools. I started a chapter in my school and didn't need permission from my principal because we already had approximately 50 other clubs in the school. I sponsored the club but we had an NCSY advisor come in each week. I started the club with just two students and it blossomed into a club of about 35 students. It was so popular that we had non-Jewish students coming to the club and actually enjoying it! The one hour each week that I would meet with my kids made my difficult job as a high school public school teacher worthwhile. NCSY is such a wonderful wonderful organization.

All that not starting from scratch + being in high school makes a difference. Also, I'm coming from an elementary perspective where after school clubs have a lot more complications because there are a lot of extra arrangements when you are dealing with younger kids.

Anyway, not to scare off op, because I think it's a great opportunity for her, but with the change in workload I doubt she's going to have time or energy to sponsor an after school club....I actually made the opposite switch this year, leaving public for a Jewish school and while I still have prep and grading and whatnot to do, the lessening of my workload is pretty significant. I can imagine it would be quite an adjustment for her.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:34 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
I'd love information about that. Private Jewish school is getting way too expensive.

Had a friend who did for her kids. They hated it and begged not to go back after a year. It was very hard for them socially. Also she didn't like them asking about Santa bringing gifts when December time hit.

sarahph1

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:05 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:

Uy no please don’t do it
I know it can be hard but please reach out to tzadakka organizations or your rav to see if they can help. Sending your kids to public school is the last resort!!!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics