Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What size blanket to get for a queen size bed?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 6:51 pm
We have two beds and usually one person per bed. The bed is by the wall so I don't need it to hang down on both sides, only on one. I am getting confusing dimensions for blanket sizes. I'm not sure if there are universal sizes or if I need to order in a Jewish store. I'm just all around confused. Please help!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:03 pm
Why not a queen size blanket?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:12 pm
Queen size is a Standard comforter size

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:24 pm
We got queen size duvets but because the mattress is very high, and it’s on top of a box spring, I feel a bigger size would have looked nicer. It just barely covers the mattress all around when the bed is made and it’s hanging down, the sheet peeks out and looks a bit messy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Why not a queen size blanket?

I don't know what is a standard queen size blanket but from my googling it seems to be too big to have it all hang down on one side. Google says 90 x 90 which means 30 inches hanging down on one side.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:28 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Queen size is a Standard comforter size

What are the dimensions? I know queen size is a standard size but for some reason I can't find universal dimensions anywhere.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:28 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
We got queen size duvets but because the mattress is very high, and it’s on top of a box spring, I feel a bigger size would have looked nicer. It just barely covers the mattress all around when the bed is made and it’s hanging down, the sheet peeks out and looks a bit messy.

How high is your mattress? Did you want the blanket to cover the box spring too?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:47 am
Bumping for more help

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:58 pm
Another bump

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know what is a standard queen size blanket but from my googling it seems to be too big to have it all hang down on one side. Google says 90 x 90 which means 30 inches hanging down on one side.

Twin comforter - 68" X 86" (on 39" mattress)

Full - 76" X 86" (on 54" mattress)

Queen - 86" X 86" (on 60 inch mattress - so you have 13 inches hanging over each aide - that's usually just enough to cover the height of the mattress)

King - 104" X 86" (on 76" mattress)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Twin comforter - 68" X 86" (on 39" mattress)

Full - 76" X 86" (on 54" mattress)

Queen - 86" X 86" (on 60 inch mattress - so you have 13 inches hanging over each aide - that's usually just enough to cover the height of the mattress)

King - 104" X 86" (on 76" mattress)

So my beds are both by a wall which means the blanket isn't hanging over on that side. 13 extra inches from one side +13 from the other side where it won't hang down = 26 inches hanging down on ONE side (because there's nothing hanging down on the other). It feels like way too much blanket.

I just looked at linen sets and aura and belle site lists the duvet cover as 90 x 90. So first of all, that's 4 extra inches on each side for the blanket to swim around in the duvet cover... and secondly, I don't feel like I need that much hanging down on only one side. I don't care about not ordering a complete set because I'm not even sure yet about other stuff, we may need to go custom anyway. My goal is to have a blanket that looks good and is comfortable for sleep.

But is it crazy to buy a full blanket? 76 inches wide sounds perfect for a 60" mattress and leaves me with 16 inches hanging down one side. 86" long is perfect for a bed that's 80" long and I don't need to pull the blanket all the way up until the top where the pillows are and anyway cover... OTOH it feels weird to do something different and I don't want to regret it.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is about right. But first get your linen. Some companies have blankets from 86” up to 96”.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How high is your mattress? Did you want the blanket to cover the box spring too?
I wanted it to cover the mattress fully, and maybe halfway down the box spring? But I wasn’t thinking about any of this when I bought so...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:51 pm
SuperWify wrote:
This is about right. But first get your linen. Some companies have blankets from 86” up to 96”.
I am trying to figure out which size blanket will look good and be comfortable and then I can custom order my linen accordingly.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am trying to figure out which size blanket will look good and be comfortable and then I can custom order my linen accordingly.

IMO the 90”x90”

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:00 pm
I make t shirt quilts all the time. A 25 shirt quilt is about 89.5 inches on each edge and is great fior queen beds when simply laying the quilt over the sleeping pillows. For clients preferring to tuck in the pillows, I add an extra row of shirts and sashing so it is a 30 shirt grid or 89.5 by 106 in dimension

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:31 am
SuperWify wrote:
IMO the 90”x90”

you always post on threads about linen and I appreciate your expertise. Are you saying this size is best even if all extra 30 inches will hang down on one side? Or do you have any tips on how to tuck in the other side of the blanket that's near the wall?

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
you always post on threads about linen and I appreciate your expertise. Are you saying this size is best even if all extra 30 inches will hang down on one side? Or do you have any tips on how to tuck in the other side of the blanket that's near the wall?

Thanks, I work in the design field so I’m familiar with the sizes. I’m not sure what you mean by hanging over but if you PM me I can send you pictures of what it looks like on the bed.

What look are you going for?

Are you looking to tuck the blanket in hotel/hospital corner style? Do you have a bed that can do that?

It’s annoying but if your bed is against the wall you need to push it away, tuck the blanket tightly in and then push it back to the wall.

Can you rearrange your room so that it doesn’t need to be flush with the wall (I don’t know if you have the space).

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:19 pm
I reread your op. I get your question. Your duvet has to be on the bed evenly whether it’s against the wall or not.

So no, it won’t hang over extra. You push it a bit, pull down the duvet. Make sure it’s even and then push it back to wall.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:58 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I reread your op. I get your question. Your duvet has to be on the bed evenly whether it’s against the wall or not.

So no, it won’t hang over extra. You push it a bit, pull down the duvet. Make sure it’s even and then push it back to wall.

it's a queen bed, very hard to push away and back every morning. as it is I make my bed not as often as I'd like so I don't want it to be too hard to make my bed. I dont have the space to make two queen beds not be against the wall, my bedroom is big but not that big!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics