Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Switching from Jewish school to public school
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:51 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
How does it compare in terms of hours commute and responsibilities? Can you take off all the Jewish Y”Tovim you need? What time does the day end on Friday’s (winter) ?
Are you getting any tuition breaks now?

Currently I am working 34 hours a week,not counting paperwork (about 2-3 hours unpaid). It would be 40 hours including 3 hours paid paperwork a week. Yom tov I can for sure take off. Fridays I will need to discuss once we narrow it down to where I am considering working and how far of a commute, right now I have been accepted by the district but there is a choice of about 10 different positions depending on what grade level, what hours, what classroom set up I choose so I am trying to do my research.
We do get a minimal tuition discount but that would continue as my husband is a Rebbe.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:53 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
According to your kesuba, your husband should be providing for medical expenses. Maybe you can still teach where you are and he can get a good job or buy private insurance.

My husband has no degree or experience other than 10 years in kollel and 3 years in the classroom. I have a Masters degree and teaching license. He doesn’t have a way to make more money. He will have to be the one picking up the slack with carpool or if the kids are sick if I am the breadwinner.

bsy

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:05 pm
I grew up with a parent working in public school. It's definitely not easy but the benefits are amazing. Be aware you will not be able to travel far for yom tov etc. It's part of why I'm not considering a public school job right now, as I have family out of town and this is a big deal to me. Your husband will need to be flexible, as you cannot be flexible in the public school system.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:08 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
How does it compare in terms of hours commute and responsibilities? Can you take off all the Jewish Y”Tovim you need? What time does the day end on Friday’s (winter) ?
Are you getting any tuition breaks now?

These are questions OP would face in any secular job. Plenty of us juggle it well. If this is OP's only obstacle, I say go for it!

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:18 pm
I've been working in public school for more than 10 years. I started there so I can't really compare to working in a Jewish school, but you'll figure it out and there are a lot of advantages--salary guide with set raises, insurance, union makes sure the conditions are fair, retirement benefits. My working environment is professional and I like my colleagues, and I can take a much longer maternity leave than I could in a Jewish school (unpaid).

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband has no degree or experience other than 10 years in kollel and 3 years in the classroom. I have a Masters degree and teaching license. He doesn’t have a way to make more money. He will have to be the one picking up the slack with carpool or if the kids are sick if I am the breadwinner.

Not alll jobs need a degree or college. Have more faith that your husband can get a better parnassah. There are plenty of people who don't have degrees and have jobs with good incomes and health insurance.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics