Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nanny

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 6:28 pm
I am thinking of having a nanny in my house for my newborn while I work. For those of you who have nannies or are a nanny can you please tell me what I can expect. First of all what they do any light housework? Also what is the going rate? I am in New York

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 6:44 pm
I don't know about NY rates, I'm in Israel.

I will sweep up, fold laundry, and if I have time I'll organize closets or toy drawers. My number one job is the child, though.

When you hire a nanny, you need to install a camera in at least the living room and the baby's room. Unless you know this person very, VERY well, please don't assume anything. I'm actually nervous when I go to a job and strangers leave me with their kids, and no camera. They should be watching me!

Your nanny should not have a smartphone. I feel very strongly about this. The temptation to zone out is just too great. She will sit and scroll through her social media feeds instead of playing with the baby or tidying up around the house.

Prior experience and solid references are a must! Check out references as thoroughly as if you were making a shidduch.

I would hire an older person, like a bubby. If you go with someone younger, she should be one of the oldest in her family and used to taking care of babies. She needs to be relaxed, comfortable, and confident.

Do not tell the potential nanny how perfect your child is. Tell her that your child can be fussy, doesn't like naps, spits up, and can cry for hours. Then when these things don't happen, your nanny will be thrilled. Keep expectations low, and she'll think your child is an angel.

Your child is the most precious treasure you will ever have in your life. The nanny is not just a babysitter, she is a trusted guardian and will throw herself under a bus to save your child. There are a lot of easier jobs in the world, but she chooses this one because she loves to give and nurture. If you're not getting that vibe from her, then she's not a good match for you.

My last thought, is to make sure that you and the nanny are exactly on the same page when it comes to parenting. She must defer to you if her ideas are slightly different. YOU are the parent, and SHE is the employee, no matter how much she seems like "family" to you. Don't let her tell you "I've worked with thousands of babies, and you don't know anything." You always know your child the best, and if she can't accept that, then show her the door.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 6:44 pm
Job usually includes all baby related things like their laundry, washing their bottles, preparing their meals etc

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:00 pm
Mine takes care of my baby and all housekeeping and cleaning. I pay her $16 an hour

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:02 pm
We do a nanny share- so she watches 2 baby's the same age. We pay $20 an hour ($10 each). Nanny washes the baby who lives there's bottles (I send enough for the day), folds laundry maybe, straightens up the toys.

The mom provides lunch for her

pinkpeonies

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:06 pm
Mine is a housekeeper/nanny, so her main job is watching the baby, but also cleans, does laundry, changes linen, basically anything that needs to be done. I rarely tell her what to do, she has managed my house for years, she’s the boss lol

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:11 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
We do a nanny share- so she watches 2 baby's the same age. We pay $20 an hour ($10 each). Nanny washes the baby who lives there's bottles (I send enough for the day), folds laundry maybe, straightens up the toys.

The mom provides lunch for her

Many people in my neighborhood do this as well. Most of them don't do real housekeeping but they'll clean the toys the babies use, wash bottles, basically the things related to the babysitting job. Most people around here each pay closer to $7-$8 an hour though. Some more some less I'm sure.

Make sure you set straight if she gets paid over YT, legal holidays, if your kid is sick or you go away, snow days, etc.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:13 pm
This is likely neighborhood specific. In my neighborhood nannies are paid a lot more than listed above. Best to say exactly where you live

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:30 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:
Mine is a housekeeper/nanny, so her main job is watching the baby, but also cleans, does laundry, changes linen, basically anything that needs to be done. I rarely tell her what to do, she has managed my house for years, she’s the boss lol

This.
Where I live almost everyone has a nanny.
If your house is very large, people will have two. Some live in, some live out and come all day.
I had a weekday one and someone else for Sunday’s.
They literally do everything.
Cleaning, food prep, taking care of kids including babies.
They’re really independent and do whatever needs to be done

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:31 pm
Also, no idea how much we pay. My husband deals with that

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:47 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
This.
Where I live almost everyone has a nanny.
If your house is very large, people will have two. Some live in, some live out and come all day.
I had a weekday one and someone else for Sunday’s.
They literally do everything.
Cleaning, food prep, taking care of kids including babies.
They’re really independent and do whatever needs to be done

Are you in South Africa, Chile, or some other country where it is really easy to find good employees?

In a lot of countries, nannies get paid less than most dog walkers. Confused

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:01 pm
Or maybe in one of the Syrian communities. (Not in Syria. : ) Maybe Deal or Brooklyn.)

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:47 pm
Nanny rate where I live is $20-30 an hour

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:54 pm
I had a non Jewish nanny. She watched my son and my nephew. Her job was taking care of the kids feeding them, bathing them and cleaning up after them. She also did my son's laundry. She did not clean. If it would've been just my son, I would have looked for someone who did light housework. I paid $13 an hour and split that with my sis. But I heard that the price went up to$15 now. I live Brooklyn.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:56 pm
Our nanny picks kids up from school and does playdates, baths and toddler dinner. We pay approx $20/hour but it's a weekly rate so often more (never less and we give paid vacations).

Folding laundry but not doing laundry and no cleaning though sometimes she straightens up.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:04 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are you in South Africa, Chile, or some other country where it is really easy to find good employees?

In a lot of countries, nannies get paid less than most dog walkers. Confused

Nope big North American city. We have excellent help and I’m sure we pay a decent salary I can think of a few cities like mine where it’s the norm.
We don’t pay by the hour though. It’s weekly rates. Again, I would have no idea how much.
My husband always deals with paying my nannies.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:05 pm
I am in Monsey NY. Any leads on where I can get a nanny? I spoke to an agency but they were giving me a hard time and claim that I wouldn’t be able to share with someone else and I would need to do 8 to 10 hours a day

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:25 am
Bump

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:35 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Mine takes care of my baby and all housekeeping and cleaning. I pay her $16 an hour

Looking for one as well. How do I go about finding one?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics