Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Is this gluten free?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:50 am
When a product says 'produced in a facility that also uses wheat' is it ok for a child with celiac?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When a product says 'produced in a facility that also uses wheat' is it ok for a child with celiac?

If cross contamination is an issue (it isn’t for me, but I think it is for most people) then it’s not a good idea.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:54 am
The consensus is split.
We do, but some react strongly. Especially if they were diagnosed at an older age. The same facility could be the same room or very far away with no chance of mixing unles a worker goes in between the various rooms.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:56 am
Iymnok wrote:
The consensus is split.
We do, but some react strongly. Especially if they were diagnosed at an older age. The same facility could be the same room or very far away with no chance of mixing unles a worker goes in between the various rooms.

Right, I think that’s the deal breaker- when they are diagnosed, and how many years they have spent eating gluten before they were diagnosed. I was diagnosed at 13 months, so I was still in pretty good shape.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:28 am
It depends if/how it affects the person.

Most can tolerate (and yet some have reactions to the slightest).

We use it and my son is fine and tests at “0” gluten on the bloodstream (which one should) at his yearly blood tests. That is the main thing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:54 am
My son has no outward reaction we only found out because he was diagnosed with a different autoimmune disorder so they tested for this because they can come together.
I was so excited to finally find a chocolate bar that was gluten free. It says that its produced in a facility that has wheat, which I thought was ok.
I reached out to the company to ask if its gluten free they said its not.
Is this because they dont want to take responsibility for cross contamination or does it really contain gluten?
(I'm referring to the taami choc bar from elite)

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son has no outward reaction we only found out because he was diagnosed with a different autoimmune disorder so they tested for this because they can come together.
I was so excited to finally find a chocolate bar that was gluten free. It says that its produced in a facility that has wheat, which I thought was ok.
I reached out to the company to ask if its gluten free they said its not.
Is this because they dont want to take responsibility for cross contamination or does it really contain gluten?
(I'm referring to the taami choc bar from elite)

Yes.

Companies cannot legally say a product is GF unless they get that designation.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:09 am
My child's doctor said airborne is not a problem so I would be perfectly fine with that. Others disagree and people have very strong opinions when it comes to celiac. Keep in mind that if you have flour in your kitchen than your food is also 'produced in a facility that has wheat.'
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics