Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Enlarged adenoids and tonsils- medication first
Previous  1  2

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:16 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
Just went to

https://aomtinfo.org/find-a-therapist-2/

Got the following reply

Sorry, we did not find any results for your search.
What state are you in? Sorry I’m clueless about the Midwest but I put a couple of Midwest states in the search bar and each one gave me a few hits.
Another way would be to join local crunchy mom groups on FB and ask, or join holistic dentistry groups and ask there. Or just google.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:01 pm
I am having the exact issue and I don't know if taking these medications are helping my child at all. He can barely breathe when he is sleeping, it's scaring me. I'm ready to rush into surgery but now that I'm reading all of this information I'm not sure what to do. How did you all manage to wait and go through therapy when your child can barely breathe?
Funnily enough I have an appointment with Dr. Raphael to get braces for my oldest (or not). Do you mean to say I can take my little one to him and he can treat his large adenoids???

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:02 pm
Also, as awful as it sounds, getting the surgery done will be mostly paid for by my insurance. Dr. Raphael is a holy fortune. How does everybody afford these treatments?

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:27 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
I am having the exact issue and I don't know if taking these medications are helping my child at all. He can barely breathe when he is sleeping, it's scaring me. I'm ready to rush into surgery but now that I'm reading all of this information I'm not sure what to do. How did you all manage to wait and go through therapy when your child can barely breathe?
Funnily enough I have an appointment with Dr. Raphael to get braces for my oldest (or not). Do you mean to say I can take my little one to him and he can treat his large adenoids???

If it's what the Dr is recommending, I would definitely go forward with the surgery. I know a lot of people who have done it for their kids and I don't know anybody who regrets it. The difference will be night and day.

If you are the type to prefer alternative medicine, you can read all these posts, but just be aware that it's not conventional. It sounds like your child might have sleep apnea. Did you have a sleep study already?

honey36

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:46 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

It depends how old your child is, how long the issue has been going on for, what are the other factors involved etc. It sounds like your child's case is already severe enough that surgery is the best option. I think the palate expanders etc. Are for kids who are not too severe yet to prevent it from getting to a point where they will need surgery.

No idea how people can afford all this stuff either...

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:50 pm
Neither ENT I went to mentioned sleep apnea. They both just recommended surgery, but one of them started us on the same medications mentioned in the OP. I like to try natural methods, but I guess I may be too late for that. (Plus the money).

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:15 pm
You got two opinions and both recommended surgery. It's not a matter of being "too late" but rather too severe. I would go ahead with the surgery if that's what the ents are recommending.
If the nighttime breathing is as bad as you say, he probably has osa (obstructive sleep apnea) which means that his oxygen levels are dropping at night, since he is not breathing in enough oxygen due to obstructed airway.

My 4 y/o daughter's OSA was severe. BH it was a miraculous difference immediately after the surgery: from clearly struggling to get in air, to silent comfortable breathing while asleep. It was a rough one week recovery and then she was back in playgroup and BH has been great ever since.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:49 pm
Yes I guess so! Thanks for your input.
Also had a difficult time getting the spray in his nose. OP did you have a problem with that?

miami85

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:54 am
I know this method was attempted on me as a child, and the medication regimen "worked" at the time so I never had my tonsils out. As an adult I question that judgement at the time, while I do not have recurrent strep throat, and generally healthy overall, my tonsils are still large, I think it must be affecting my sleep. I get recurrent tonsilitis and tonsil stones--for which there's not much to do for them other than me removing the tonsil stones myself and dealing with the pain of the tonsilitis until it subsides--once it took over a month and I was a teacher and wasn't until I was able to let my throat rest over pesach that it finally got better. I've considered getting them removed several times but my insurance isn't great right now and I finally got up the courage to do it and scheduled a consultation--but then Covid struck. As a working mother how am I supposed to just "take off" 2 weeks from life for this procedure? I barely got to "be sick" when I had Covid or have a baby.

When my son was going through this as a toddler, the medication regimen didn't help enough and I said I don't want him to go through what I've gone through and while it was a rough few days with him after the procedure, I'm glad he doesn't and won't remember it.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:58 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
Yes I guess so! Thanks for your input.
Also had a difficult time getting the spray in his nose. OP did you have a problem with that?

I did my 2-year-olds while he was asleep.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:39 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
I disagree that it’s too late, but if you seriously want to avoid surgery you would need to be very proactive right now.

The thing about surgery is that even if you do it and you fix the obstruction for now, you’re still going to be dealing with narrow airway, tongue ties, inflammation and everything and everything that comes along with it. Sometimes surgery is necessary, but imo it pays to try other things first if you have the resources.

Curious to know why you are going to Raphael for braces, I’m assuming a regular orthodontist can do them for cheaper? Maybe you can find someone else for braces and use the funds for this child instead?

As for how to afford it, we are using an airway informed ortho who does a free initial consult and takes our insurance. Myofunctional therapy is also covered by our insurance, we have a 30 dollar copay per session.

zoom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:41 pm
Hi

I have tried both those medications with no effect at all on my child.
His breathing and blocked nose issues started around 10 months and we had to wait until he was over 3(while the dr tried so many different things, but would not approve the surgery) to get his tonsils and adenoids out. Bh we could see a huge difference straight away.

my next child , the issues started similar time but luckily we managed to get his out whne he was around 18 months and went v well bh.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:02 pm
zoom wrote:
Hi

I have tried both those medications with no effect at all on my child.
His breathing and blocked nose issues started around 10 months and we had to wait until he was over 3(while the dr tried so many different things, but would not approve the surgery) to get his tonsils and adenoids out. Bh we could see a huge difference straight away.

my next child , the issues started similar time but luckily we managed to get his out whne he was around 18 months and went v well bh.

Did you notice a difference in recovery time between the two kids? They say that the older the child, the more difficult the recovery.

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Mar 11 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Find a certified myofunctional therapist by location https://aomtinfo.org/find-a-therapist-2/
They should be able to refer you to a holistic dentist or airway informed ortho in your area. Look for practitioners who use myobrace, Alf, biobloc, even though we are going with traditional expansion in the end.

Yikes about the sugar, starch, and dairy addictions. Seems you’d do well off those foods, though believe me, I know how impossibly hard it can be.

Personally, we see the most improvement in tonsil and adenoid size with antimicrobials. I suspect a lot of strep hiding out in there, and maybe also pseudomonas. Even if it’s not showing up on cultures. Which can also explain the behavioral issues (Adhd isn’t a cause, it’s a symptom). We’ve done long term antibiotics, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, biocidin throat spray. In addition to antihistamines, the myofunctional and orthodontic work. Also doing homeopathy, and hoping to start craniosacral therapy soon.

We may still have to take tonsils out, but aren’t in a rush. But, we don’t have obstructive apnea now. Prior to long term abx and other antimicrobials dc was snoring like a truck and grinding badly. They now sleep quietly.

Can you link the biocidin spray?
Which antibiotics did you do long term? Azithromycin?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics