Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
If you're a store owner, I'm genuinely trying to understand
1  2  3  4  5  Next

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:11 pm
I walked into a store today without even realizing they're running a sale. I was planning to take care of this all week already. I went to pay and I had a credit that I wanted to use. They didn't want to accept it. So I asked the owner that I really want to understand why. I was trying to understand what real money they're loosing by me paying with my credit. That's our policy and finish. So I told him. I hear and I accept it. But I would love to understand how you're loosing money. I had purchased an item, returned it. My money is by you. Why do you care if I use this credit now? I had no clue about this sale. I need this item for myself to use.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:13 pm
A lot of small businesses have unreasonable policies like these and then like to complain that people don't shop there.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:17 pm
I’m Sorry to Say this. But this is exactly why I don’t shop in frum stores. This wouldn’t happen in Target, Macy’s, Gap, Sephora etc. they can’t make Arbitrary rules, there’s always someone to Escalate to.
I’m Sorry this happened to you

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:21 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I walked into a store today without even realizing they're running a sale. I was planning to take care of this all week already. I went to pay and I had a credit that I wanted to use. They didn't want to accept it. So I asked the owner that I really want to understand why. I was trying to understand what real money they're loosing by me paying with my credit. That's our policy and finish. So I told him. I hear and I accept it. But I would love to understand how you're loosing money. I had purchased an item, returned it. My money is by you. Why do you care if I use this credit now? I had no clue about this sale. I need this item for myself to use.

Simple. They want you to put more money into the store! Money-making attitude

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:23 pm
Just to add, I have a credit at a store from baby gifts I received. I wanted to use that credit to add to a baby group gift my work was sending but they refused. Outright nasty. I don’t have extra to pay for the group gift otherwise so now I’m stuck just not giving

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:28 pm
I had this experience in many Jewish stores.
I end up paying regular price even if the item is on sale so they accept my credit.
It’s disgusting.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:31 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Simple. They want you to put more money into the store! Money-making attitude

All stores want that. They are just more savvy in the way they go about it. They do it in a way that draws customers in as opposed to turning them away.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:33 pm
It's crazy. Because this store is supposedly known to have amazing service. I myself had a great experience. I was looking at item asked the price and say it was $100. That particular item was showcased but sold out. The identical item in smaller they had in stock. When I went to pay it turns out to be was $50 more. So I told the owner I'm sorry for driving you crazy but I didn't expect it go be more expensive let alone $50 more. On the spot he gave $30 off. I took the item. I thought it was so nice of him. But this credit policy is beyond me. It's something I simply don't get.
Any store owners on here that can please chime in your side of the story?

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:37 pm
tweety1 wrote:
It's crazy. Because this store is supposedly known to have amazing service. I myself had a great experience. I was looking at item asked the price and say it was $100. That particular item was showcased but sold out. The identical item in smaller they had in stock. When I went to pay it turns out to be was $50 more. So I told the owner I'm sorry for driving you crazy but I didn't expect it go be more expensive let alone $50 more. On the spot he gave $30 off. I took the item. I thought it was so nice of him. But this credit policy is beyond me. It's something I simply don't get.
Any store owners on here that can please chime in your side of the story?

Because then you spend more money if you can use credit only on full price items.

That wasn't obvious?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:39 pm
They say that the sale price is a liquidation sale where they don't make money off the purchases, just turn their leftover inventory into cash. And you using the credit doesn't give them the cash that they need in their pocket for the next inventory order.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:56 pm
How about this- I bought a shabbos top for over $100. Dh hated it so I returned it the next day. I got a credit. A year and a week later I bought something else there. I wanted to use the credit. The owner says it expires after a year and I can’t use it. There was nothing on the credit stating that!

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:08 pm
I almost never shop at frum stores cuz live out of town and have no relatives in the business but just feel I need to give the other side. While everyone so far has listed legitimate concerns, I really do understand why they have to make blanket policies that seem unfair. Almost any time I am shopping in a frum store and overhear what customers are asking or complaining about, my eyebrows raise from shock. Unfortunately, and maybe it's because people have less boundaries cuz of close knit communities, customers often feel entitled and ask for completely inappropriate requests.

My husband, who is a therapist, feels the same way. Although he likes having frum clients cuz he gains more enjoyment when they accomplish, they often overstep boundaries and can be difficult clients in that aspect.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:19 pm
A lot of times when prices drop mid-season the owner is just looking to get rid of it and make room for inventory therefore they sell out for cost or below cost. Knowing this (that they aren’t making any money) I think it’s fair.

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:22 pm
SuperWify wrote:
A lot of times when prices drop mid-season the owner is just looking to get rid of it and make room for inventory therefore they sell out for cost or below cost. Knowing this (that they aren’t making any money) I think it’s fair.

They have your money already. Why shouldn’t you be allowed to use the money they have to buy something. Really it’s not the customer job to make sure they are making profit.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:25 pm
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
They have your money already. Why shouldn’t you be allowed to use the money they have to buy something. Really it’s not the customer job to make sure they are making profit.

They took your money when you bought the product X days/months/years ago. That money was used to purchase new inventory and is long gone. Your open credit is a liability for them.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:42 pm
And this is why I will shop almost anywhere else besides a frum store. Except if it one of those places I will never return an item to (bookstore for a siddur?).
Credits are mine to use. Whenever I want. If it isnt written on the credit slip dont add rules later. "Expires after 1 year/30 days". "Cant be used on ABCDEF". I dont care that you need cash now, you got my cash before and resold that item. So now I want to use my money.

If I buy something and I open the box and it is ruined I want a refund. I bought groceries at a kosher market. I got home and opened the package round give my kid one and there was mold. Green fuzzy mold. I went back 10 minutes later to return (just enough time for me to get the other items in the fridge and run back out). They yelled at me. Then Blamed my fridge. I showed them the receipt with the time stamp. Then they claimed it wasn't the same package and that this was an old one I bought months ago.

I would love to support yidden. But not if it costs me so much more, for poor service and without being able to trust I will actually get what I paid for.

At the same time, anyone who cheats a store by replacing the old one with a new one and trying to return the old one should be ashamed. That is theft.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:44 pm
SuperWify wrote:
They took your money when you bought the product X days/months/years ago. That money was used to purchase new inventory and is long gone. Your open credit is a liability for them.

That is a cost of doing business. Sorry, but it is mine to use when I want/need. You got the original item back and resold it... so you got the money 2x for the same item and now wont let me use the credit?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:46 pm
flowerpower wrote:
How about this- I bought a shabbos top for over $100. Dh hated it so I returned it the next day. I got a credit. A year and a week later I bought something else there. I wanted to use the credit. The owner says it expires after a year and I can’t use it. There was nothing on the credit stating that!

That's horrible and geneiva!

advocate

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:47 pm
Flower power, depending on you where you live I think that may be illegal.

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:52 pm
SuperWify wrote:

If you buy something and return the next day that money was not spent. They just refused to return it.
They are holding your money captive without giving you anything in return.
If they got the item back in resellable condition quickly the money should go into escrow.
It’s not theirs to just spend. It was never a loss from them. Only profit for nothing
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics