Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Tip for dyrsegulated kids

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:17 pm
I needed to have a conversation with my kid and he was getting very dysregulated and refusing to talk so I took out some ice cream and gave it to him. Every time he told me "stop talking about this" I got him to take another spoon. We got through it

I hope this helps someone. It doesn't have to be ice cream of course. Whatever it is you know puts your kid in the zone. Even if it's not conventional and even if it's not healthy. 😊

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:20 pm
I love this OP.

I have a kid like that so I can really relate. Goes into fight flight when needs to discuss anything serious or uncomfortable. Can’t handle any sort of feedback.

Said kid also happens to be a food and sugar junkie so I’m very very hesitant to use food as a reinforcer. They’ll do anything for food but I don’t like the message it sends. I wonder if there’s anything I can use the same way.

I wonder if it’s because it’s cold. I’ve heard of using ice cubes to bring a kid out of fight flight back to parasympathetic mode.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children