Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach kitchen placement
1  2  Next

Pesach Kitchen location
A.  
 44%  [ 26 ]
B.  
 48%  [ 28 ]
C.  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:37 pm
I would like to add a pesach kitchen and I am looking for input on the best place for it to be.

These are my options:
A. I can do it in the basement
Pros
: can keep my reg. Kitchen and chometz open until the end.
Cons: Running up and down, being sort of stuck downstairs.

B. Take off a piece of my very big bathroom right next to my kitchen.
Pros: right next to my kitchen... freezer etc. Closed space so can keep the Pesach contained and separate.
Cons:
No window. A bit claustrophobic, no space to open a table for more working space.

C. Room right off my kitchen.
That would be my best option because it's a separate room but next to the kitchen. Has space, has a window. The only issue is that my regular kitchen is quite small and falling apart and within the next few years I would like to replace and expand my kitchen to include this room. That would make my Pesach kitchen be right in my regular kitchen. Meaning that I can't start early or before my kitchen is fully cleaned for Pesach.

Thank you so much if you read through until here! Smile Smile
Imamothers who have done this what are your thoughts?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:43 pm
I have ideas to make a pesach kitchen in my basement but I dont want to do the shlep so I told DH I want to be able to eat downstairs. Otherwise, I would want it on the same level you plan to eat on.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:49 pm
I would go with option B. Once a year, you will manage without a window. But this gives you the space to expand to a big kitchen for year round, plus no shlepping down to the basement.

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:57 pm
I say basement. It's one week out of 52 weeks I wouldn't give up any of my living space for the rest of the 51 weeks for this.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:01 pm
I voted A. My vote is based on what we do on sukkos. We run and down and it's not bad at all. It's not ideal. But I think between these 3 options it's the best

banana123

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:25 pm
A. Running up and down the stairs isn't ideal, but the other options are worse, IMO.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:36 pm
My grandparents always had a makeshift kitchen area in their basement that they used for all chometz in the weeks leading up to pesach, while kashering and cooking pesach in the regular kitchen.
Unless you're planning to just sell your regular kitchen and not turning it over. Wasn't clear from your post.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:50 pm
If you’re including a dishwasher then do it on your main floor near the dining area.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:53 pm
B
Personally I don’t see need for big bathroom on main floor.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:43 pm
Voted B

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:46 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
My grandparents always had a makeshift kitchen area in their basement that they used for all chometz in the weeks leading up to pesach, while kashering and cooking pesach in the regular kitchen.
Unless you're planning to just sell your regular kitchen and not turning it over. Wasn't clear from your post.

The whole point is to save yourself from turning over IMHO.

advocate

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:49 pm
If it were me I might do B. But I'm wondering, if you could put a window between your pesach kitchen and your regular kitchen to capture light to make up for not having a window?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would like to add a pesach kitchen and I am looking for input on the best place for it to be.

These are my options:
A. I can do it in the basement
Pros
: can keep my reg. Kitchen and chometz open until the end.
Cons: Running up and down, being sort of stuck downstairs.

B. Take off a piece of my very big bathroom right next to my kitchen.
Pros: right next to my kitchen... freezer etc. Closed space so can keep the Pesach contained and separate.
Cons:
No window. A bit claustrophobic, no space to open a table for more working space.

C. Room right off my kitchen.
That would be my best option because it's a separate room but next to the kitchen. Has space, has a window. The only issue is that my regular kitchen is quite small and falling apart and within the next few years I would like to replace and expand my kitchen to include this room. That would make my Pesach kitchen be right in my regular kitchen. Meaning that I can't start early or before my kitchen is fully cleaned for Pesach.

Thank you so much if you read through until here! Smile Smile
Imamothers who have done this what are your thoughts?

How will you be using the Pesach kitchen?

If its going to be used in addition to your regular kitchen, to let you get an early start on things, then in the basement, with another refrigerator/freezer. The foods can then be transferred upstairs and reheated on the chag in your kitchen.

If you're selling your kitchen, CYLOR. It sounds like you would need to go through your kitchen to use the bathroom space, or at the very least use your refrigerator/freezer in the kitchen, and not sure you can do that if the kitchen is sold. If you can, halachically, then this is the spot if its your sole Pesach kitchen. The up and down is otherwise way too much.

Fave

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:53 pm
Will you have an extra fridge/freezer in the basement, or will you need to come upstairs constancy for cooking ingredients?

I have a pesach kitchen in the basement, but I’m very well set up there (fridge, freezer, dishwasher, pantry). We eat all our chol hamoed meals downtstairs and only do the Yom Tov meals upstairs. I set up a hot plate upstairs and before the meal I bring up all food and keep it warm on the hot plate.

There’s no running back and forth.

I love the setup as I can start cooking really early (we never have chometz in the basement)

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:12 pm
I voted B, this is what I have and I love it. I also have the option of cooking in the basement and having more space and a fridge but I found my little pesach kitchen upstairs was so much more convenient.

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:21 pm
I've seen various different setups and I think the right thing for you depends on how you will use it.

One relative is very organized. She has a small Pesach kitchen in her basement and starts cooking things that can be frozen weeks in advance. She does a little bit each day so she's not overwhelmed and by the week of Pesach all she has left is to turn over her upstairs kitchen and do the last minute stuff that needs to be fresh.

Another relative works more than full time and doesn't really have time to do much ahead. She has a nice size kitchen that is easily kashered and two floor to ceiling cabinets that contain all her Pesach stuff. All she has to do is close her chometz cabinets and open her Pesach cabinets and she's ready to do a marathon of Pesach cooking in the 2 days beforehand.

Another relative has a big fancy house and both the money and the room to put in a proper second kitchen in her basement. For Pesach she just closes off her regular kitchen and they eat all their meals in the basement but they have a really beautiful setup

I know other people who don't have any Pesach kitchen at all and they set up a table with a crockpot and maybe a toaster oven or plug in burner so they can do at least a little cooking ahead.

Tl;dr - OP, it really depends on what your goal is. If you plan to turn over your own kitchen and want to be able to cook ahead or if you want to be able to close off your chometz kitchen entirely and just use the Pesach one then you will have different requirements.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:34 pm
B. You want it near the kitchen. And you still want a nice size main kitchen.

BubblyBubby

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:40 am
Make a kitchen in the basement and use it for chametz while you kasher your real kitchen for pessach?
Otherwise: right next to kitchen, but beware of mixups...

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:53 am
Eating in the basement for yom tov is not nearly as nice as eating upstairs. I've never seen a basement as nice as a formal dining room. If you can put in a small kitchen and fridge in the basement to cook in advance, then just kasher the upstairs kitchen (really not a big deal) that seems like the best option.

If you're planning to remodel soon, I would say to draw up plans and see if there's a way to create a Pesach storage and cooking area on the main floor.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:17 am
How you would like to use it really is the main consideration.

If you will cook & freeze in advance so you can turn over your main kitchen last minute, in the basement away from the chametz might work.

If you will turn over main kitchen early but use it for eating chametz til last minute basement also works.

Near your main kitchen is best if you have the space for it to be a full kitchen on pesach and get away with cleaning and closing off without kashering your main kitchen. It sounds like you are tight on space, so here your personal style really matters. But no matter what, when you redo your main kitchen, make space for dedicated pesach cabinets that can be closed all year but accessible as is on pesach.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics