Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Everyone is going away on vacation..
Previous  1  2  3  4

Zehava

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:59 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
And it was a good thing of course.

Ofcourse

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:08 am
I didn't read the whole thread just the OP

I'm in NY and we are definitely not going to florida. I hate flying with kids. We're going to crayola factory and will stay overnight in a hotel. I think getaways with family are so important and special but they do not need to be a plane ride away. Also I feel that my kids really need a break because it's a leap year and it's been such long school year. They were back in school by the end of September and pesach break is not till mid april!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:22 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread just the OP

I'm in NY and we are definitely not going to florida. I hate flying with kids. We're going to crayola factory and will stay overnight in a hotel. I think getaways with family are so important and special but they do not need to be a plane ride away. Also I feel that my kids really need a break because it's a leap year and it's been such long school year. They were back in school by the end of September and pesach break is not till mid april!

No chanukka break? What about purim?
I bet a lot of parents would like to shorten or abolish some of them.

Maryann

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:39 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
You couldn't pay me to go to Florida during Yeshiva Week! I don't see the appeal at all of so many people crowding into an area.

We don't usually go anywhere for winter break but this year we're renting a house in the mountains that has an indoor pool and is near snow tubing. We're going together with siblings to split the cost and give everyone company. Also it's only for 2 nights midweek and we're bringing our own food so that keeps the cost down as well.

Would you be willing to share details , house contact I would love to do this in the future
Thanks!

worldtraveller

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:45 am
I wonder if a bigger percentage of people are going away or is it just that our communities have grown tremendously so it seems as though a bigger percentage are going?

imacoolmom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:55 am
We hate plane travel plus it’s a fortune so we never went to a warm place during midwinter. For many years we went to indoor water park hotels ( kalahari, camelback etc) which they loved but the kids are done with those. This year we’re going to Philadelphia for 2 night and 3 days we figured it’s a new city they haven’t been to and there’s tons of attractions. We got an apartment for very cheap to stay in and there’s kosher restaurants. We will probably do Legoland and maybe a museum.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:01 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
When did winter break start equaling flying somewhere? During winter break, my entire school life, we did nothing. Maybe a day trip here and there. But mostly we just hung out at home, hoped for snow, hung out with friends. When did it become this thing that one "has to" (Im being sarcastic) go somewhere and do things?
Dont most parents also work? I never understood this shift in attitude.

OP, if you are able to take your kids places each day or a few days during the break, thats great. Dont feel bad and dont give off this feeling of jealousy to your kids. They will hopefully have a wonderful break, whatever they do or dont do. And hey, to us it was always just a huge plus to not have to be getting up with an alarm in the morning.
ETA: I grew up in the tri state area.

I love telling my kids how my winter break consisted of one day watching movies at my grandma and the other day going to the mall. It’s possible there was a luxurious ice skating trip once or twice.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:04 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

How is Purim a break for anyone? It is such a hectic day.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:19 pm
zaq wrote:
Amazing how people see only what they want to see--the "everyone" who is going away--and never notice all the people who aren't going anywhere. Apparently, they count as "no one." Niiiice.

Someone on Instagram did a poll recently, and the percentage of people staying home was soooo much higher.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:31 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

Chanuka break was a while ago. And Purim is the most hectic day. Not a break at all

Look if you feel your kids are doing well in school, ppl then no need to get away. But mine are getting really bored and antsy and can use a break. They are good students but everyone can use a breather
And family time is so special and valuable, way more than what a day or two of school can offer them

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:51 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
How is Purim a break for anyone? It is such a hectic day.

Aren't schools off for taanit ester?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:53 pm
worldtraveller wrote:
I wonder if a bigger percentage of people are going away or is it just that our communities have grown tremendously so it seems as though a bigger percentage are going?

And more people are taking about it.

Maryann

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:12 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Aren't schools off for taanit ester?

Half Day

Maryann

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:13 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Nope. We're not going anywhere. Cus I don't care to go anywhere. I will be happy if I get to take my kids out for a day to do anything.
I don't like to go anywhere when everyone is on vacation. I spoil my kids when they should be in school and take them away than.
Plan a fun retreat at home if you have the ability. Or swap homes with a friend for a night and 2 days..

Love this

How do you technically go away while kids are in school? Do you work
I would love to do this

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:32 pm
Maryann wrote:
Love this

How do you technically go away while kids are in school? Do you work
I would love to do this

I don't officially work for anyone. I do my own things. And yes. I took my girls to Florida in November when it was super cheap, Noone was there, restaurants were empty, and we had a blast. I stay home during vacation and we do things in house.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:33 pm
Same. I have not seen my family for years already. They live across the country.
It’s very, painfully hard. And honestly, very hard not to get jealous of those who can easily go away. Good for them.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:09 pm
Just started feeling the guilt pangs today. My husband and I will each take a day off but need to work. Vacation days go to yuntif. I feel bad because most days they will be at home with a sitter.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:26 pm
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
Just started feeling the guilt pangs today. My husband and I will each take a day off but need to work. Vacation days go to yuntif. I feel bad because most days they will be at home with a sitter.

Same here. I will be working from home with the kids home. Maybe we'll go out for lunch and pick up some games and toys from Target.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:08 pm
Moms who aren't taking kids to points south--or north, east, or west, or further than the grocery store, or anywhere at all-- during midwinter break--PLEASE do not fall into the trap of feeling guilty! You have nothing to feel guilty about. Going on vacation during midwinter break is neither necessary for healthy child development nor an inalienable right of childhood. This is what we call a neieh mishegoss. Twenty,thirty years ago a day trip to Skating Wonderland and another to the nearest natural history museum was quite sufficient. Just because a cadre of families with time and money on their hands decided that a trip to Florida is the perfect antidote to a houseful of bored kids and just what "every" child (read: parent) needs doesn't make it so.

The reason everything from birthday parties to weddings to vacations grows so obscenely inflated is that too few people have the intestinal fortitude to say NO, these are not my values and I will not go along with the fad but will stick to my own modest standards. Are you people or are you sheep? If you haven't the guts to uphold your values when it comes to meaningless and ephemeral things like winter vacations, what makes you think you would have the guts to stick to your values if another Antiochus outlawed Shabbat observance, Torah study, and brit milah?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children