Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva Ahavas Torah closing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:42 am
Yeshiva Ahavas Torah in Flatbush is closing. Where are the parents going to sent to next year?

devorah1231

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:02 am
Some will be going to Toras Emes, Chofetz Chaim, Torah Temima, and Chaim Berlin. I heard they are trying to keep next years 7th and 8th grades together in the building.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:09 am
The yeshivos in Flatbush are all desperate for students due to the decreased enrollment because of families moving out. I'm sure all the school will be happy to enroll new students and parents will have their choice where to send

I remember a few years ago when yeshiva ruach chaim closed down and Torah temima offered all of the students to come to them

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:15 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
The yeshivos in Flatbush are all desperate for students due to the decreased enrollment because of families moving out. I'm sure all the school will be happy to enroll new students and parents will have their choice where to send

I remember a few years ago when yeshiva ruach chaim closed down and Torah temima offered all of the students to come to them

That was prearranged, no "offer", it was done without any parents being informed... The other schools didn't appreciate it either.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:25 am
Wow, hadn't heard about this. Was it because of dwindling enrollment or some other factor?

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:33 am
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
Wow, hadn't heard about this. Was it because of dwindling enrollment or some other factor?

They had been struggling with enrollment for years. Someone made a really good offer on the building and they took it.

The news broke last night.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:42 am
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
That was prearranged, no "offer", it was done without any parents being informed... The other schools didn't appreciate it either.

Oh I didn't realize that. But were the parents forced to send to Torah temima or could they have chosen to send elsewhere if they wanted?
Also why did it matter to the other schools?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:02 am
Where is this headed in the long run? Today it's ahavas torah. What about in 10 years from now? It seems young families are just not interested in settling in Brooklyn anymore. Either they are priced out and can't afford it, or even if they can afford it, they realize they get more for their money by going elsewhere like the 5towns, Toms river or a few other places. It's hard to imagine some of the big schools that have been in Brooklyn for decades closing down, but they will need enrollment to survive.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:10 am
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
They had been struggling with enrollment for years. Someone made a really good offer on the building and they took it.

The news broke last night.

Who bought it, and what will it be used for?

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:17 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Oh I didn't realize that. But were the parents forced to send to Torah temima or could they have chosen to send elsewhere if they wanted?
Also why did it matter to the other schools?

It was felt that to help the neighborhood, it would have been better to strengthen all the schools by adding a few kids that fit each mold, instead of one school taking everyone. I don't really get how they just made this decision, but I don't think parents wanted to break from what they were told because it would make their kids feel left out.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:18 am
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
Who bought it, and what will it be used for?

Zuckers yeshiva bought don't know why.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:19 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Where is this headed in the long run? Today it's ahavas torah. What about in 10 years from now? It seems young families are just not interested in settling in Brooklyn anymore. Either they are priced out and can't afford it, or even if they can afford it, they realize they get more for their money by going elsewhere like the 5towns, Toms river or a few other places. It's hard to imagine some of the big schools that have been in Brooklyn for decades closing down, but they will need enrollment to survive.

A lot of preschools are actually doing really well with enrollment now that Jersey prices have gone up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics