Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Gifted DD12 - looking for likeminded peers in Lakewood
Previous  1  2  3

small bean

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe this is not what you intended to convey, but I don't think mothers or girls should be blamed for their feeling uncomfortable being very different from their peers. We give DD plenty of space to enjoy her differences but in a society like this one, where the majority of their classmates have a lot in common and they don't fit the mold, it is very understandable that they would be trying to 'squash themselves to fit in'.

I think there is something wrong with a kid needing to squish in to a mold. As a mother of out of the box kids, I do think finding your child like minded kids wont help. They need to learn to be comfortable with themselves and okay with being out of the box. Then they will be respected for their uniquness and wont feel this need to conform.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:52 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
It isn't a "diagnosis".

Yes it is, and it qualifies for accommodations and an IEP and are protected under IDEA. Giftedness is also a special need.

The thing I see a lot here is the misuse of terms like “gifted”, “genius”, and “IQ”. Being very smart, loving to learn, etc is not how one determines “Gifted”.

I see someone wrote a detailed post explaining the assessments. This was just a simple post.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:13 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
Following...

I find that DD (almost 12) is quashing her true self in order to fit in.

Please realize that this in normal 12 year old behavior. You can try to support her through this stage.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:43 pm
There is YouTuber named mark rober who gives a science course that looks fun. Maybe they’d like that?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:33 pm
watergirl wrote:
Yes it is, and it qualifies for accommodations and an IEP and are protected under IDEA. Giftedness is also a special need.

The thing I see a lot here is the misuse of terms like “gifted”, “genius”, and “IQ”. Being very smart, loving to learn, etc is not how one determines “Gifted”.

I see someone wrote a detailed post explaining the assessments. This was just a simple post.

This. What others are arguing about IQ tests not accurately assessing a frum kid is just not factually true. There are many tests to choose from and the evaluator can choose one that is not factual knowledge based but inference and reasoning based.

I don't think people realize how unusual it is to be truly gifted and think that if their kid is smarter than them, it means they are a genius.

Signed,

A daughter of parents who both got 1600 on their SATs and are part of mensa.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:13 pm
watergirl wrote:

Exactly which is why I posted. There are almost no resources in Lakewood for gifted and 2e kids but there’s a whole thread of people posting about their gifted kids. So far only one amother really knew her stuff.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:14 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
This. What others are arguing about IQ tests not accurately assessing a frum kid is just not factually true. There are many tests to choose from and the evaluator can choose one that is not factual knowledge based but inference and reasoning based.

I don't think people realize how unusual it is to be truly gifted and think that if their kid is smarter than them, it means they are a genius.

Signed,

A daughter of parents who both got 1600 on their SATs and are part of mensa.
It’s very hard for 2e kids to be properly evaluated. I took my daughter for an evaluation but her adhd got in the way. I don’t know that being frum changes anything but you do need an evaluator who specializes in gifted and 2e kids.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)