Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this normal

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:27 pm
My baby is almost 8 months kh. I started solids about 3 weeks ago but I can’t get anywhere. . She screams and moves her head away when I try to feed her , as if she hates food. She has taken a few spoons at times. Background- she nurses and eats usually every 2 -3 hours but smaller amounts , like I have friends baby’s who are taking 6-7 ounce bottles and she takes 1-3 ounces at a feed , most ever was 4 ounces. She doesn’t sleep well during the day or night. She wakes often and sometimes not to eat just for me to hold her and calm her. When do I know if I need a feeding evaluation. Or do I need to go to a gi or something. Is it normal for babies this age to hate food even though I’ve been trying for a few weeks already

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:29 pm
Have you tried putting finger foods on her tray instead of offering mush on a spoon? A lot of us have success with this method.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:29 pm
How do I know she can handle finger foods she hasn’t handled purée yet

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I know she can handle finger foods she hasn’t handled purée yet

It's actually not necessary to start with purée. The movement to skip that stage entirely is gaining momentum. Shall I find you some links?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:34 pm
There's a saying these days: "Food before one, is just for fun."

In other words, quit overthinking it. Offer lots of bite sized foods in a variety of colors and textures. Let your baby pick them up with her fingers.

Food will be smashed, rubbed all over, and thrown on the floor. It's OK, that's all part of the learning process. Babies need to explore before they get the hang of sitting down to a nice meal.

I think it also depends on how many teeth your baby has. In my very small amount of data, I've found among my friends that the more teeth a baby has, the sooner they want real food. If your baby is still gummy at 12 months, don't expect them to eat any time soon. (DD got teeth at 3 1/2 months! She was a good eater. A friend's DD just a week older than DD didn't have any teeth at all until 14 months. That baby didn't want anything except nursing and bottles, and maybe a bit of yogurt.)

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:36 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
It's actually not necessary to start with purée. The movement to skip that stage entirely is gaining momentum. Shall I find you some links?

THIS. A baby can eat whatever you eat if it's fairly soft, just make small pieces.

DD never ate mush or puree. A friend of mine gave us a couple jars of baby food, and DD wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot spoon. I ended up using them in soups and muffins instead (which DD would happily eat.)

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:37 pm
It's called baby led weaning. Look it up. Try it.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:51 pm
Can you find a speech therapist trained in MNRI and/or myofunctional therapy? I think it would be worthwhile to just do an evaluation to rule out anything that can drag on. It could be nothing and baby will outgrow it soon.
In my experience, as mom of more than 1 kid with feeding issues, I would check it out and address this earlier rather than later, when the baby understands more. Once they know that food is not their friend, it's much more difficult to undo it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 7:24 pm
This isn’t my first child I just never had this with my other Children. The last poster thank you I can look into that .

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 8:56 pm
You can try mixing some expressed breastmilk with baby cereal to thicken it. I found my nursing babies liked that as an introduction to solids. Make sure to warm it. Many babies will only eat warm food. (I even warm my baby's apples & oats baby jars)
Or try feeding her from the tip of your finger. some babies don't do well with spoons in the beginning.
Many infants also don't go for mash. You can try some mashed-not pureed- vegetables from the chicken soup. That usually goes, if anything.

You did mention her eating frequently and in small amounts. Any chance she has reflux? That can also take away her appetite.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:00 pm
I started baby led weaning with my third and it's life changing. I place finger length food of whatever we are eating on her tray and she feeds herself. There is a learning curve and it does take time for them to master the skills. And gagging is normal and ok. Read up about it, it's worth it.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:05 pm
My baby was like this. She is turning a year this week and finally liking food a little bit more. I found that you did not like the mushed up stuff on a spoon. I had a lot of success giving her pouches rather. I tried a bunch till I found one that you actually loves and I tend to give her that one. Lately. I also make her lentil or bean soups and she'll eat that since it's not a complete mush. I also found that she'll eat vegetables from the chicken soup if it's not mushed. Like if I take a spoon and give her pieces.
She also likes to hold things in her hands and eat them so she does well with veggie straws, tea biscuits, Bamba, etc
To be honest, she's still nursing a lot but just very recently in the last couple weeks started taking in more food. Personally, I would not be worried at all as she will start eating when she's ready.

This is the pouch that she loves.... I tried a lot and for some reason she really likes this one.

Happy Baby Organics Clearly Crafted Stage 2 Baby Food, Bananas, Raspberries & Oats, 4 Ounce Pouch (Pack of 16) packaging may vary https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B.....HWFPN

oakandfig19

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:26 pm
Sounds like my baby (almost 10 months), he has reflux issues which cause him to not want to eat very much. He can be picky about solids, fortunately over the last month I’ve seen a huge improvement with his eating. He sees a GI and we just started seeing a feeding therapist because he does have slight food aversions. I would suggest seeing a feeding therapist as well. Does your baby show any other signs of reflux? Eating frequent small amounts is an indication.

Definitely continue trying to give your baby different foods. Let her play with the food, that will help her be more willing to try it. It’s still new for her. I’ve been giving solids since about 6 months and it’s really been the past month that that I’ve seen significant progress.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:59 am
My last kid hated purees and we basically skipped them and went onto finger foods. You give soft foods, think avocados, banana etc and put pieces on the tray and allow them to explore. It's called baby led weaning and there's a whole science about introducing new foods, how quickly etc.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 3:40 am
Nursing slowly, waking up throughout the night, screaming when eating, are all signs of reflux. Without other outright symptoms, it can be silent reflux. See a pediatric gastroenterologist. Your baby doesn't need to suffer. Refuah Shelaima!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics