Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Pros and cons of Sofa/Loveseat vs. Sectional Sofa?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:37 pm
What are the Pros and cons of Sofa/Loveseat (2 totally separate pieces) vs. Sectional Sofa (generally 3 pieces arranged in an "L")?

I think a pro of a Sofa/Loveseat is that it can be used in other locations, if needed, while sectionals are harder to fit into other spaces (theyre larger, and have pieces that are left hand facing arms or right hand facing arms).

I think a big pro of sectionals is the corner replaces a lamp table thats generally used if you have a sofa loveseat, and this corner is a very comfortable place to sit.

What else?

tia

Wife1

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:40 pm
Sectionals are usually more costly

SingALong

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:43 pm
Depends on the set up of the room. One room I have needs an L shaped couch. One wall is smaller so a small sofa wouldn’t fit. That side of the sectional is small.
In my basement playroom there are too many doors/ closets for a sectional to work, I don’t really have a corner, so I have 2 separate pieces, across the room from each other.
So look at your space see what works. If it’s plain walls, I think a sectional can be much neater

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:45 pm
I think you get more seats with loveseat.
No one likes sitting at corner.
If having ppl not related sitting they don’t like being squished onto one piece. It’s sometimes more comfortable socially to spread out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:57 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
I think you get more seats with loveseat.

why?

amother [ Steel ] wrote:
No one likes sitting at corner.

When alone, I loved sitting/laying on the corner of my old sectional, its like a chaise then.

amother [ Steel ] wrote:
If having ppl not related sitting they don’t like being squished onto one piece. It’s sometimes more comfortable socially to spread out.

A husband and wife can each sit on each side of the sectional, how is that different than with sofa and loveseat?

tia

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A husband and wife can each sit on each side of the sectional, how is that different than with sofa and loveseat?

tia

It depends on your family setup.
For a couple maybe sectional is good. If it’s just a husband and wife who cares.
If it’s like 2 couples the sectional gets too ‘cozy’
Or like I have a large family with teen boys and girls and live seat def makes for more comfortable seating especially if friends are over.
I have a single friend snd when I visit with dh it’s sometimes awkward seating us all on sectional. I feel like a seperate piece feels less together.
But if this is just for a couple with not too many guests then a a sectional is fine.
And the corner is great for relaxing but doesn’t make for comfortable/respectable seating in front of other.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:06 pm
It's mostly about space and usage.

Certain spaces work better with one over the other.

If your family likes to all pile on the couch together a sectional is great, if people like their own space or you often have guests 2 peices may be more practical

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:32 pm
As others have posted it really depends on how the space is used.

If this is seating in a room in which non related people and adults seat, a sofa and either a love seat OR two comfortable chairs is ideal because adults don't like to sit in the corner AND they don't generally like to seat in the middle of the couch if they can help it. Most adults prefer to have one side free.

If the sectional in an exclusively family area where it is children using it a sectional is fine because it will be used to sprawl in and no one will be forced to sit in the corner - they will be lying down with their head or feet in that area LOL

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:50 pm
I've never seen a sectional that didn't separate at awkward moments.

TravelHearter

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:48 pm
I would do a sectional for a casual living area and two couches for a formal living area

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:56 pm
We had a sofa and loveseat and just got a sectional and we love it. Ours clicks together so there is no separating. We got a special corner that is very large so no one's feet bump and the corner seat is a favorite spot. My kids love lounging on it and everyone has space no bickering issues.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:04 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
We had a sofa and loveseat and just got a sectional and we love it. Ours clicks together so there is no separating. We got a special corner that is very large so no one's feet bump and the corner seat is a favorite spot. My kids love lounging on it and everyone has space no bickering issues.

I also loved my old sectional's corner...

May I ask if your sectional is leather or fabric, and what brand?

Thanks.

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 6:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I also loved my old sectional's corner...

May I ask if your sectional is leather or fabric, and what brand?

Thanks.

Fabric from raymour and flanigan
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics