Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Did you know chulent beans can be toxic if not cooked right?
Previous  1  2

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:32 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Really? I did that once by mistake and the cholent was rotten and had a smell the next day. Usually it’s on low.

Maybe because I make my cholent Thursday night. So Thursday night I keep it on high or low, Friday night before shabbos when it's already cooked I switch to keep warm. Never had an issue bh.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:32 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Really? I did that once by mistake and the cholent was rotten and had a smell the next day. Usually it’s on low.

It depends on the slow cooker that you use.

My Hamilton Beach runs hot, so Keep Warm keeps the food at a safe temperature. YMMV.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:40 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
It depends on the slow cooker that you use.

My Hamilton Beach runs hot, so Keep Warm keeps the food at a safe temperature. YMMV.

Makes sense. That is what I was thinking

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:41 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Maybe because I make my cholent Thursday night. So Thursday night I keep it on high or low, Friday night before shabbos when it's already cooked I switch to keep warm. Never had an issue bh.

Mine is on high for hours until shabbos. It’s fully cooked before it goes on low.

Btw- cholent in the oven is also really good!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:45 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Mine is on high for hours until shabbos. It’s fully cooked before it goes on low.

Btw- cholent in the oven is also really good!

How do you make chulent in the oven?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:20 pm
Not all beans are a problem. Kidney beans and lima beans are the ones that can be the most toxic. White beans and pinto beans are perfectly safe.

I do a big batch in the pressure cooker, and make sure that some of the beans are mushy (not all of them.) The mushy beans tell me that I've finally got the whole batch cooked through. Then I portion and freeze.

Not all kitchen appliances are created equal. One person's pressure cooker could take 1 hour, and another brand could take 3 hours.

One brand of crock pot could burn the bottom of your cholent even on the "warm" setting. Another brand will create a lovely mold garden to greet you the next morning (BTDT Confused .)

There is a fine line, and a fine art, between having hot food for Shabbos, and sending your friends and loved ones to the emergency room with food poisoning.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 5:39 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
How do you make chulent in the oven?

Same recipe. Put it in a deep 9x13 bekela. Cover. Bake on 350 for 4 hrs. Then lower it. My kids love it erev shabbos

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:05 pm
This bean thing is new to me. If my cholent cooks for at least 6 hours on high in the crackpot, is that OK cuz then the beans are fully cooked. Right before shabbos I turn it on to low.

Genius

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:13 pm
The effects of chulent on the digestive system are the punchline of many a joke. (Mincha vestee davenen in Belz…)
I’m surprised that people are finding out about this now.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you forget to soak them always have canned beans at home and use canned beans for the chulent

Dh loves cholent but would suffer terrible stomach aches no matter, for a good few days. Recently switched to canned black and kidney beans and it's great. I pour them into a colander and rinse them off and drain them well and into the cholent they go ...

pause

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 9:17 pm
I haven't been using chulent bean mix for a long time because I wanted to avoid the kidney beans. We found them to be too heavy on the stomach. I create my own mix from all kinds of white beans.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:42 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
This bean thing is new to me. If my cholent cooks for at least 6 hours on high in the crackpot, is that OK cuz then the beans are fully cooked. Right before shabbos I turn it on to low.

I think you are supposed to soak them for 5 hours and than boil with new water. Just after that put it in the chulent. You need to get rid of the bad substance

joyful mom

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:09 am
I soak and boil up the beans but is it okay then to put it in with raw meat in the slow cooker, or is it better to also cook the meat a bit beforehand?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:10 am
joyful mom wrote:
I soak and boil up the beans but is it okay then to put it in with raw meat in the slow cooker, or is it better to also cook the meat a bit beforehand?

You can put the meat in raw.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics