Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Travelling with a crockpot

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:11 pm
Did any of you ever travel with a crockpot?

We are going on a family trip that will include staying in a rented space over shabbos. I don't want to start kashering the kitchen, and even if I get takeout, I do not know that I will have access to a hot plate to warm up the food. So I am thinking of taking along a crockpot instead. This would mean 'shleping' it on a plane and a car, as we are also going to be on the road a lot. Is this a bad idea? Is it going to break? Or take up half the suitcase?

If any of you had done it, I would appreciate hearing your experience.

(Also, if taking it along -- would you place it in the suitcase? Or carry on?)

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:14 pm
I've taken it in a suitcase, on the original packaging. It can take up a lot of space, but so long as it is clean you can use the inside space for packing small items.

justmarried:)

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:18 pm
I brought a crockpot base so I can heat some food directly on that and its small but from the sounds of your travels (plane,car) I am not sure I would shlep a crockpot along. I would be concerned about the glass and I would just live with out it. If you would be doing a road trip and making all your dinners in it I would take along.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:23 pm
My husband has flown with a mini crockpot before. We packed it in the original box with all its styrofoam inserts. Worked out really well and was very useful as that was his only source for hot food on Shabbos. If you no longer have the original packaging, I think it would also be okay if you wrapped it very well with soft padding and/or towels.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did any of you ever travel with a crockpot?

We are going on a family trip that will include staying in a rented space over shabbos. I don't want to start kashering the kitchen, and even if I get takeout, I do not know that I will have access to a hot plate to warm up the food. So I am thinking of taking along a crockpot instead. This would mean 'shleping' it on a plane and a car, as we are also going to be on the road a lot. Is this a bad idea? Is it going to break? Or take up half the suitcase?

If any of you had done it, I would appreciate hearing your experience.

(Also, if taking it along -- would you place it in the suitcase? Or carry on?)

https://www.target.com/p/hamil.....aw.ds

If you can afford to fly I'm sure you can afford to buy this and have it shipped to be you. Toivel it at the beach if you can't find a mikvah! Dont shlep something so cheap!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:29 am
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach-5qt-slow-cooker-black/-/A-79910185?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012806756&CPNG=PLA_Appliances%2BShopping_Local%7CAppliances_Ecomm_Home&adgroup=SC_Appliances_Slow+Cooking&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=m&location=9004365&targetid=aud-1281829994819:pla-1460100166249&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247068&gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4ozGhoivu10Z1h31KU6tWNBH4QqzaAl3VzR86c6TdtdljGWaSCjiTQaAkR6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you can afford to fly I'm sure you can afford to buy this and have it shipped to be you. Toivel it at the beach if you can't find a mikvah! Dont shlep something so cheap!

Oh wow, thank you.

I am a bit of the nervous type. I would be worried that it would arrive to the wrong place, or that there would be no one there to receive the package. I prefer to have the essentials with me.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:30 am
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Congresswoman

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:31 am
Or just buy one at the nearest wal mart.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh wow, thank you.

I am a bit of the nervous type. I would be worried that it would arrive to the wrong place, or that there would be no one there to receive the package. I prefer to have the essentials with me.

You can probably pick it up wherever you are... Buy online and pickup in store. It's not a Jewish item.

But if you want to schlep something I would suggest this instead:
Elite Gourmet EFS-400 Personal Stir Fry Griddle Pan, Rapid Heat Up, 600 Watts, PFOA-Free Non-stick Electric Skillet with Tempered Glass Lid (Black) https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....4c9f2

Not recommending this one particularly... We have something like this we take everywhere. You can make rice, couscous, fried vegis, chicken, etc in it.

twizzlers1

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:25 am
We traveled with one internationally. I was so glad I had it because we were gone for 4 days in a place where there was no kosher food. It was pretty careful when I packaged it like packed it around tons and tons of clothes but then on the way back we were in a hurry and I was careless and I did not pack it carefully and the whole thing broke. I would definitely recommend packing it carefully make sure that it's in a bag so that it does break it doesn't get all over everything else. The next time we went away I did not take it because I was afraid it was going to break. For Friday night we had hot food and then we just had things like cold cuts for lunch. I did miss having it during the week because it was nice to put something up in the morning and have hot food later. I think I would want to take it again next time but but ask my kids who are much better at packing than me!

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 4:28 pm
Congresswoman wrote:
Or just buy one at the nearest wal mart.

But then you have to deal with toiveling it while you are traveling. I've done that, but it's not always easy.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 1:39 pm
We take along some cheap or old pots and pans when we travel, and just leave them there and replace them when we return.

Or buy cheap items at your destination and tovel them there.

Alternatively, you can buy a camping mess kit. It's light and packs very compactly.

SingALong

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 8:12 pm
I traveled with a crockpot a few times in the past. Since it was my crockpot I use at home, I didn’t have the packaging. I just wrapped each separate piece in a kitchen towel and packed it between the clothing. Bh nothing broke.

My food processor bowl did break, so I just quickly ordered a new one on Amazon and had it shipped to where I was staying

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 8:28 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
But then you have to deal with toiveling it while you are traveling. I've done that, but it's not always easy.

If it’s bought and used only for the trip then it’s considered disposable I believe and tevilah is not needed. Crockpots can be as cheap as $20. I wouldn’t travel with one. (But I also have no issue kashering the oven at my destination )

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 8:31 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
If it’s bought and used only for the trip then it’s considered disposable I believe and tevilah is not needed. Crockpots can be as cheap as $20. I wouldn’t travel with one. (But I also have no issue kashering the oven at my destination )

Using it once may be considered disposable. Not using it for a whole trip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics