Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bracha for nursing(!!??)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:15 pm
My 2.5 still nurses.

She makes brachos, with help finishing them for the correct one.

Today she was.about to latch on, and then looked at.me and.said,. "Baruch..."

I helped her finish shehakol.

So.strange!!!!

Is that even the proper bracha to make? should she make one?

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:17 pm
I heard of kids making brachos and of kids asking for the “other side”. To me it’s hilarious. I can’t imagine still nursing a child with such a vocabulary.
Shehakol sounds right for milk. But ask a rav...

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:17 pm
Omg I love this!!!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:19 pm
My daughter doesn't make brachos but she does ask to "nurse" and says "other side" she has a very large vocabulary and I think it's weird she's still nursing but I haven't been able to wean her yet.

goodmorning

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:29 pm
R' Aryeh Levine related in the hesped he gave for for his son Avrohom Binyomin, who was niftar before he turned two, that at the age of nine months (!!) he made a shehakol before nursing.

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:31 pm
goodmorning wrote:
R' Aryeh Levine related in the hesped he gave for for his son Avrohom Binyomin, who was niftar before he turned two, that at the age of nine months (!!) he made a shehakol before nursing.

Was just going to post this!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:34 pm
I think that's adorable!

(and for the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with extended nursing)

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:05 pm
One of my kids made Hagafen. I cracked up!

Shehakol is the correct bracha on any kind of milk, including mother's milk, and if a child is capable of making a bracha, it is good chinuch to encourage it.

For those who wouldn't nurse a child who can talk, so you punish a precocious baby? Some of my kids were somewhat verbal by 12 months, others not until closer to 2. That's not one of the factors I take into account when weaning.

cupcake123

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:06 pm
My daughter also does this and says other side lol. She 2.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:49 pm
To the poster said her daughter says nurse and other side

This is the natural progression if you emphasize brachos in your home!!!

Mine says
Wanna nurse!
Please nurse!
Other side...

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:52 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
One of my kids made Hagafen. I cracked up!

Shehakol is the correct bracha on any kind of milk, including mother's milk, and if a child is capable of making a bracha, it is good chinuch to encourage it.

For those who wouldn't nurse a child who can talk, so you punish a precocious baby? Some of my kids were somewhat verbal by 12 months, others not until closer to 2. That's not one of the factors I take into account when weaning.

Agreed. My 9 month old already has a few words, I'm not basing my nursing on how she expresses herself.
OP- super cute!

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:47 pm
My daughter's first word was ציצי, around age 12 months, but about a month before she could make it clear with sign language (pointing at my breasts!)

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:45 am
My daughters were very verbal quite young, speaking in sentences by 18 months. I wouldn’t let that stop me from nursing if we weren’t ready.
My youngest made up her own name for nursing, and definitely asked for ‘other side’.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 4:17 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
My daughter doesn't make brachos but she does ask to "nurse" and says "other side" she has a very large vocabulary and I think it's weird she's still nursing but I haven't been able to wean her yet.

I'm nursing a 3.5yo. She doesn't make brachos on my milk yet but sometimes does on food. I would wean, but pandemic. But she's been verbal since 16m, at nearly 2 was already speaking in full sentences. That's not how I decide when to wean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics